Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

The Honest Atheist?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
    I wouldn't call those conspiracy theories as much as I would call them history. I understand what you mean then.

I'm a Catholic, we don't really have a concept of 'born again', except by baptism. You enter into the Church when you are baptized. This doesn't kill the old man, you are still you. All the habits and vices you've accrued throughout your whole life are still there, all the inclinations are there. But what has changed is that you're now a member of the Church, and you've entered into the mystery of reconciliation with God.

I'd consider the first two passages to apply to all men, including Christians. The latter seems to be more specific about the gentiles who were judged and had their hearts darkened.

I'm not saying that grace is ineffectual. I believe if a person works with it, you can grow as a Christian. But as a Catholic, I believe it takes your own participation as well. God might be holding out a hand, but if the person doesn't take it, then he doesn't benefit. However, all of this is also available to people outside of the Church, but atheists can't grow in the theological virtues.
    RCC doesn't believe in the Christian concept of "born again" as described by Jesus and Paul, or am I misunderstanding you? I honestly didn't know that. Can you elaborate?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      The bible also says everyone has sinned. So can there be such thing as an honest anyone?
      Abe.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
        So do you believe that the honest atheist exists?
        I think "honest" is too broad a category. Can an atheist do good things? Sure. Can an atheist honestly answer questions? Of course. Can a Christian be dishonest in answering questions? Of course.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

The bible also says everyone has sinned. So can there be such thing as an honest anyone?
          Noah was a sinner yet God found him to be righteous.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
            RCC doesn't believe in the Christian concept of "born again" as described by Jesus and Paul, or am I misunderstanding you? I honestly didn't know that. Can you elaborate?
            While we wait for the "official" answer, I'll butt in. We'll find out whether I'm right or wrong.

Catholics are in the portion of the Church that believes in both "paedo-baptism" -- baptism of infants -- and "baptismal regeneration" -- rebirth occurs at baptism. (However, I think "Confirmation" comes in there somewhere also.) I think Lutherans and possibly Anglicans/Episcopalians also hold this view. Evangelicals are generally more familiar with "credo-baptism" -- believers' baptism -- where baptism occurs *after* one has become a believer, i.e. been "born again."

FTR, "born again" was used only by John (quoting Jesus) and Peter, not Paul, though Paul did use the related term, "regeneration."
            Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
              While we wait for the "official" answer, I'll butt in. We'll find out whether I'm right or wrong.

Catholics are in the portion of the Church that believes in both "paedo-baptism" -- baptism of infants -- and "baptismal regeneration" -- rebirth occurs at baptism. (However, I think "Confirmation" comes in there somewhere also.) I think Lutherans and possibly Anglicans/Episcopalians also hold this view. Evangelicals are generally more familiar with "credo-baptism" -- believers' baptism -- where baptism occurs *after* one has become a believer, i.e. been "born again."

FTR, "born again" was used only by John (quoting Jesus) and Peter, not Paul, though Paul did use the related term, "regeneration."
              It all seems pretty clear to me. Jesus just briefly touched on it, but Paul went into great detail about it -- the duel natures and all that. I'm just wandering how the RCC interprets all that. If the RCC doesn't believe in the born again experience as Paul described, then that would explain a lot to me about their history, including its recent abhorrent history, at least of the establishment and its leadership.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
                It all seems pretty clear to me. Jesus just briefly touched on it, but Paul went into great detail about it -- the duel natures and all that. I'm just wandering how the RCC interprets all that. If the RCC doesn't believe in the born again experience as Paul described, then that would explain a lot to me about their history, including its recent abhorrent history, at least of the establishment and its leadership.
                I think this is diverting a bit away from the OP subject which whether atheists where knowingly lying or being dishonest about their experience. In my opinion they’re not.

The above post is rather antagonistic, so I think I’ll just bow out of the discussion now. God bless you SeanD.

Comment

I think this is diverting a bit away from the OP subject which whether atheists where knowingly lying or being dishonest about their experience. In my opinion they’re not.

The above post is rather antagonistic, so I think I’ll just bow out of the discussion now. God bless you SeanD.
                  I know it seemed like it was antagonistic, but I didn't intend on it being that. I'm the kind of person that can be pretty blunt when I'm trying to make a point, even if it offends folks. Not sure if that's a short coming or not, but it's just my love for truth, no matter how ugly it might be. My point was that born again Christians (Christians filled with the HS) have a restraint against sin, unlike those who don't. That obviously doesn't mean those who don't can't do temporary good works. It also doesn't mean born again Christians can't sin (Paul makes this point obvious, and we know this from experience), but even though they can, the sin would be much worse without the HS as the restraint. My point about the RCC is that (and I know this might offend and I'm sorry) it supports my theory about folks with power who don't have that restraint. Folks without that divine restraint would be inclined to run pedophile rings (and even attempt to cover it up by the leadership afterwards). Though they can sin, I honestly don't think a spirit filled believer is capable of that even if they did have that power. So it's not really atheists in general, it's folks who don't have that spirit filled restraint that's the problem.

Comment

Honest in the sense that they genuinely don't believe in God? Yes.

I don't think they're lying. I don't think it's plausible to believe that they know God exists, but act as if they don't. I do believe God can be known rationally by seeing the world, and even from mystical experiences. Their lack of knowledge about Him, isn't that they're lying, it is that they don't even knock on the door to find out.
                    So they honestly can reject their Creator? So why would God judge them for an honestly held belief?
                    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

And seer reels me in again.

So they honestly can reject their Creator? So why would God judge them for an honestly held belief?
                      They might not be sent to Hell for an honest belief, but for any other things they knowingly did against their conscience. We've all fallen, I don't believe anyone except young children can say they can't recall being evil. And the older you get the more aware of your own depravity you tend to become.

Though even then they might be held accountable for their lack of belief, if believing in God is a moral duty, and God has supplied them with all the means of knowing Him, natural or mysterious, if they were inclined to do so.

Comment

God doesn't judge them for their unbelief. He judges them for their sins.

Comment

God doesn't judge them for their unbelief. He judges them for their sins.
                          But isn't unbelief the greatest sin? The first commandment?
                          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

But isn't unbelief the greatest sin? The first commandment?
                            Well if they don't believe they can't ask for the forgiveness of their sins, can they?

But at judgment they will be judged for their actions, not beliefs.

Comment

Well if they don't believe they can't ask for the forgiveness of their sins, can they?

But at judgment they will be judged for their actions, not beliefs.
                              Wouldn't unbelief be a mental action? It's seems in line with Jesus's saying if you have lust in your heart its the same as physical adulatory.
                              "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
                                Wouldn't unbelief be a mental action? It's seems in line with Jesus's saying if you have lust in your heart its the same as physical adulatory.
                                If you have all of the information and just stubbornly refuse to believe, then maybe - if you have the truth but reject it. But we are talking about people who just don't believe because they haven't heard of Jesus, or maybe just don't believe there is enough evidence to overcome their unbelief. They will be judged for their sins and on their conscience, as it says in Romans 2.

Romans 2:12 All who sin apart from the law will also perish apart from the law, and all who sin under the law will be judged by the law. 13 For it is not those who hear the law who are righteous in God’s sight, but it is those who obey the law who will be declared righteous. 14 (Indeed, when Gentiles, who do not have the law, do by nature things required by the law, they are a law for themselves, even though they do not have the law. 15 They show that the requirements of the law are written on their hearts, their consciences also bearing witness, and their thoughts sometimes accusing them and at other times even defending them.) 16 This will take place on the day when God judges people’s secrets through Jesus Christ, as my gospel declares.

Comment