Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Honest Atheist?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

The Honest Atheist?

Scripture says that the heavens declare the glory of God, Paul says that unbelievers suppress the truth. Given that, can there be an honest atheist?
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Faith
    slave & child of Christ
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Only in their own minds.

Especially when you read Romans 1 that says nobody has an excuse.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

3. Amen seer amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by seer View Post
    Scripture says that the heavens declare the glory of God, Paul says that unbelievers suppress the truth. Given that, can there be an honest atheist?
    The bible also says everyone has sinned. So can there be such thing as an honest anyone?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    The bible also says everyone has sinned. So can there be such thing as an honest anyone?
    True...
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    Which just shows how evil an atheist can be. If we as Christians can sin in spite of having the Holy Spirit as a spiritual restraint to a least some degree, imagine the capabilities of those with no restraint at all. This is why I'm never quick to dismiss evil conspiracy theories among ungodly people no matter how outrageously immoral the theory may be.
    Last edited by seanD; 05-14-2020 at 11:04 AM.
    "I was the CIA director. We lied, we cheated, we stole, it was like... we had entire training courses. It reminds you of the glory of the American experiment." - Mike Pompeo, Secretary of State (source).

7. Amen seer amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Catholic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by seanD View Post
    Which just shows how evil an atheist can be. If we as Christians can sin in spite of having the Holy Spirit as a spiritual restraint to a least some degree, imagine the capabilities of those with no restraint at all. This is why I'm never quick to dismiss evil conspiracy theories among ungodly people no matter how outrageously immoral the theory may be.
    Can't tell if you're being sarcastic.

9. Amen Boxing Pythagoras amen'd this post.
    tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leonhard View Post
    Can't tell if you're being sarcastic.
    No, I actually truly believe in the supernatural and what the bible says. I don't just give it lip service. I believe in the fall of man. When people say that mankind is generally goodhearted for the most part, well, that's an utter lie. The bible says all man is sinful and wicked and bent towards evil. Of course that doesn't mean humans can't show glimpses of goodness every now and then even without the cajoling of God's spirit, but without that divine guidance, even that goodness will eventually lead to wickedness. As Mossrose stated, Romans 1 sums up that condition perfectly -- "they become vain in their imaginations and their foolish heart is darkened." Now if the Spirit of God within us can't always stop our wicked nature as Christians from turning to sin, then how wicked do you think those without the spirit can get?
    "I was the CIA director. We lied, we cheated, we stole, it was like... we had entire training courses. It reminds you of the glory of the American experiment." - Mike Pompeo, Secretary of State (source).

11. Amen Thoughtful Monk, NorrinRadd amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Catholic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by seanD View Post
    No, I actually truly believe in the supernatural and what the bible says. I don't just give it lip service. I believe in the fall of man. When people say that mankind is generally goodhearted for the most part, well, that's an utter lie. The bible says all man is sinful and wicked and bent towards evil. Of course that doesn't mean humans can't show glimpses of goodness every now and then even without the cajoling of God's spirit, but without that divine guidance, even that goodness will eventually lead to wickedness. As Mossrose stated, Romans 1 sums up that condition perfectly -- "they become vain in their imaginations and their foolish heart is darkened." Now if the Spirit of God within us can't always stop our wicked nature as Christians from turning to sin, then how wicked do you think those without the spirit can get?
    I see. My experience of being a Christian is that the difference in moral conduct comes mainly from seeing more things as wrong, I.e abortion or various purity aspects such as right conduct of sexuality.

However beyond that it is not my experience that Christians are significantly better morally or necessarily show anymore integrity. Christians are quite capable of spreading falsehoods and rumors of their own. We definitely saw a lot of that during the whole cdesign intelligent proponentists era.

I lean more towards being sinful and struggling with vices is not what separates a Christian from an atheist.

Im curious though what conspiracy theories do you have in mind?

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I see. My experience of being a Christian is that the difference in moral conduct comes mainly from seeing more things as wrong, I.e abortion or various purity aspects such as right conduct of sexuality.

However beyond that it is not my experience that Christians are significantly better morally or necessarily show anymore integrity. Christians are quite capable of spreading falsehoods and rumors of their own. We definitely saw a lot of that during the whole cdesign intelligent proponentists era.

I lean more towards being sinful and struggling with vices is not what separates a Christian from an atheist.

I’m curious though what conspiracy theories do you have in mind?
    There has to be something supernaturally tangible that sets Christians apart. Otherwise God putting his spirit in us is ineffectual and pointless here and now if it doesn't distinguish us from the nonbeliever. But we know from scripture this is not the case. There is a real divine source (Holy Spirit) put in us that produces a change, and that distinguishes us from the rest of the world, albeit the change is obviously gradual and not consistent in everyone, and we do struggle with this duel nature within us (Romans 7:15-20). This serves as a restraint at least to a degree. IOW, if you see a spirit-filled Christian acting in wicked ways, without that spirit they'd be much much worse. I also believe that if they nurture that spirit, they'll get progressively better, whereas without the spirit, they'd get progressively worse. Positions of power and/or immense wealth I believe also plays into that equation and can amplify that condition in individuals, but that's a whole other story.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

Im curious though what conspiracy theories do you have in mind?
    So do you believe that the honest atheist exists?