Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

The Honest Atheist?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by seer View Post
    But isn't unbelief the greatest sin? The first commandment?
    The first command is to love God. I don't think this is possible to do in any way pleasing to Him outside of The Church. It's very reasonable to that you need to believe in God, in order to love Him, and you can't love him by proxy of loving His works.

However I also offered to you that it could be a sin, and that wouldn't be an unreasonable interpretation if in fact atheists have been given the opportunity to be able to come to know God, but they neglect that responsibility.

Do you feel they need to secretly know that God exists, in order to be guilty?

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
      The first command is to love God. I don't think this is possible to do in any way pleasing to Him outside of The Church. It's very reasonable to that you need to believe in God, in order to love Him, and you can't love him by proxy of loving His works.

However I also offered to you that it could be a sin, and that wouldn't be an unreasonable interpretation if in fact atheists have been given the opportunity to be able to come to know God, but they neglect that responsibility.

Do you feel they need to secretly know that God exists, in order to be guilty?
      To me, if they honestly believe that God doesn't exist they seem to have an excuse. Where if like Paul suggests, that knowledge of God is clear for all to see and they suppress that knowledge, then they are guilty.
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

To me, if they honestly believe that God doesn't exist they seem to have an excuse. Where if like Paul suggests, that knowledge of God is clear for all to see and they suppress that knowledge, then they are guilty.
        What do believe suppressing knowledge amounts to? It seems you have in mind someone who really believes in God, but won't admit it in public?

Comment

Also I'm still not certain that this phrase is saying that atheists know that God exists, it seems to be addressing the kinds of people who suppress the Christians from evangelizing. The wicked romans in fact. St. Paul goes into all the details about their depravity.

Comment

What do believe suppressing knowledge amounts to? It seems you have in mind someone who really believes in God, but won't admit it in public?
            That we know that God exists but will not bow a knee = Pride; no god, no masters...
            Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Also I'm still not certain that this phrase is saying that atheists know that God exists, it seems to be addressing the kinds of people who suppress the Christians from evangelizing. The wicked romans in fact. St. Paul goes into all the details about their depravity.
              The wrath of God is being revealed from heaven against all the godlessness and wickedness of people, who suppress the truth by their wickedness, since what may be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them. For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse.

Who doesn't that include?

Comment

From the same Bible book, Romans 10:14:
                can people have faith in the Lord and ask him to save them, if they have never heard about him? And how can they hear, unless someone tells them?

We need to reconcile these statements. I would suggest that Romans 1 only suggests a general knowledge of God, or that one should at least be able to conclude he exists. I don't agree with Sye ten Bruggencate's cruasde about how atheism doesn't exist.
                "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

That we know that God exists but will not bow a knee = Pride; no god, no masters...
                  I have hard time believing that the Bible has to be read like that, mostly because that wasn't what I experienced as an atheist growing up. But beyond that I don't think such a specific reading is neccessary.

You believe that if they are honest in their disbelief, then they have an excuse in violating the first commandment? However I've suggested to you that if in fact they could know, if they showed due dilligence in knowing truth, then they could still be held accountable. Just like we can hold someone accountable for violating a traffic law, because we can reasonable expect of them to know these things.

What would you say to this interpretation?

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                    From the same Bible book, Romans 10:14:
                    can people have faith in the Lord and ask him to save them, if they have never heard about him? And how can they hear, unless someone tells them?

We need to reconcile these statements. I would suggest that Romans 1 only suggests a general knowledge of God, or that one should at least be able to conclude he exists. I don't agree with Sye ten Bruggencate's cruasde about how atheism doesn't exist.
                    The two sentences at the end sound like a contradiction.

Comment

The wrath of God is being revealed from heaven against all the godlessness and wickedness of people, who suppress the truth by their wickedness, since what may be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them. For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse.

Who doesn't that include?
                      It's even MORE evident now with what we know about molecular biology and the dynamic detailed structures of the cosmos. This generation will face the worse judgement out of all previous generations.

Comment

Even if they honestly believe God doesn't exist, that doesn't give them an excuse to sin. As Romans 2 says, God gives everyone a conscience to know good from evil. So when they do what they know in their heart to be wrong, their conscience accuses them and they will face judgment for those sins.

Comment

The kinds of people Paul writes about in the end of chapter 1 and continues into chapter 2 are all mankind (except Jews, which he takes up separately to show that even though they have the written Law, they still fail to live up to it) who live in rebellion against God. This is clear from what he writes in chapter 3:

Scripture Verse: Romans 3:9-20 ESV

9 What then? Are we Jews any better off? No, not at all. For we have already charged that all, both Jews and Greeks, are under sin, 10 as it is written:

“None is righteous, no, not one;
                          11 no one understands;
                          no one seeks for God.
                          12 All have turned aside; together they have become worthless;
                          no one does good,
                          not even one.”
                          13 “Their throat is an open grave;
                          they use their tongues to deceive.”
                          “The venom of asps is under their lips.”
                          14 “Their mouth is full of curses and bitterness.”
                          15 “Their feet are swift to shed blood;
                          16 in their paths are ruin and misery,
                          17 and the way of peace they have not known.”
                          18 “There is no fear of God before their eyes.”

19 Now we know that whatever the law says it speaks to those who are under the law, so that every mouth may be stopped, and the whole world may be held accountable to God. 20 For by works of the law no human being will be justified in his sight, since through the law comes knowledge of sin.

© Copyright Original Source

"For we have already charged that all, both Jews and Greeks, are under sin"

Already denoting something he wrote previously, and the only possible thing he can be referring to is back to chapter 1 and onwards, when he accuses people of forsaking the knowledge of God for vain idols, debauchery and all sorts of other sins, and to his condemnation of the Jew's vain attempt to attain righteousness through the written Law and their hypocrisy in trying to teach others God's will when they're unable to live up to it themselves. "All, both Jews and Greeks" is obviously Paul's way of speaking of humanity as a whole. It doesn't literally mean just Jews and Greeks.

In other words, "the kinds of people" Paul speak about in chapter 1 are not just "those who suppress the Christians from evangelizing", it is mankind as a whole, separated from, and in rebellion to God.

Comment

So do you believe that the honest atheist exists?

: shoving oar in :
                            Yes, definitely.

I doubt the wisdom, and justice, and accuracy as exegesis, of applying general statements like those in Romans 1.18-32, which described Greco-Roman religious attitudes, to all ages before and since. St Paul was not describing the New Atheists, or their predecessors of recent centuries, so his words can’t IMO be assumed to be applicable to them. I think his words read more naturally as a polemic against idolatry, and as an explanation of the moral and confusions to which the folly of idolatry gives rise. I don’t see the passage as being concerned with the attitudes of those who do without God or gods.

The passage should ISTM be taken its original and immediate historical context, before it is applied to any other historical and social contexts. Unless exegesis starts from that context and sense, applying the passage in any other senses to any other cultures becomes unsound.

I think a lot of atheists are probably “not far from the Kingdom of Heaven”, like the Jewish scribe to whom Jesus applied those words. And I agree strongly with those Christians who say that Christians are in some measure the cause of atheism.
                            Last edited by Rushing Jaws; 07-12-2020, 08:05 PM.

Comment

Scripture says that the heavens declare the glory of God, Paul says that unbelievers suppress the truth. Given that, can there be an honest atheist?
                              Certainly, atheists can be and are honest, likely no more or less than the general population on most things.

For instance I've read plenty of atheists who say they have no problem believing God exists, they just think God is evil. That's being honest.

The scriptures tell us man has no excuse, and I believe it, I accept it. Perhaps it is difficult for some believers to accept that when an atheist says they reject Christ, they really mean it.

It is much better, but maybe more self deceiving, to claim one hasn't made a choice about Christ, they remain 'neutral', waiting for further evidence that God exists. I am supposed to ignore their advocacy against Christ, mind you, their own words telling me of their opposition to Christ.

And really, are these things not describing a spiritual experience?

The scriptures tell us the word of God is alive, living and active. We are not merely communicating ideas.

I am of the belief that when a man hears the gospel, it is not merely words, the Holy Spirit is there, the same power that empowers us. I think God has a very different viewpoint about it. We may mouth words, it is the Spirit who searches the man's heart.

Really, it is impossible for a believer to think the gospel doesn't create this divide. Its purpose is to separate the sheep from the goats, the believers from the unbelievers, children from parents, brother from brother.

So for me, the honest atheist is one who says they reject Christ, at a minimum. After all, one doesn't proclaim themselves an atheist with rejecting everything else, right? Don't they tell us how they examine religions and their claims?

Biblically there is nowhere to stand for the atheist, the only ledge to stand on is Jesus Christ, and they've already said they have rejected that ledge. One doesn't reject but not reject, right?

Sin, righteousness, judgement, the Spirit has taught us that conviction is not a choice when a man hears the gospel, the Spirit ensures it, empowers it. Still, the Spirit contends with man, and atheists have come to know the Lord, even after running away. I didn't think anything about God until I was an adult, there is always hope until the end.

Comment