Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Trump fires 4th Inspector General.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DivineOb View Post
    LMGTFY

https://www.google.com/search?client...pector+general

A U.S. federal inspector general (IG) is the head of an independent, non-partisan organization established within each executive branch agency assigned to audit the agency's operation in order to discover and investigate cases of misconduct, waste, fraud and other abuse of government procedures occurring within the...

Another lazy RWNJ?! Blow me down.
    Reading is hard:

Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
    I see that you’re trying to avoid admitting you’re wrong again, but the primary function of the IG is to give government workers an group, independent from their local chain, a place to report grievances, fraud, etc. The IG is not an independent agency nor an agency of Congress. Even at that, there is not one IG, but over a thousand. Just another hit piece designed to make something look much worse than it actually is.
    Trump has fired 6, there’s 1600 currently working. Meaning .3% have been fired. What a crisis!
    "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
      It is as if the trump supporters here have not one ounce of respect for the concept of integrity in government office and could care less about abuse of power as long as the one abusing it is Trump. Now they can write essays on freedom of the press. Integrity, accountability, as long asvit is Obama, or Hillary, or really almost any democratic and even some republican leaders.

But point out abuse of power at Trumps hand and everything they claim to believe in or be against wrt Ovama orvothers is 'no big deal'. They actually seem to revel in Trump's abuse of power. This is all about sticking it to the democrats, no matter what the long term cost
      Another idiotic rant. Do you have any proof of your assertions or is this more of your inability to understand your opponents and read them with grace? As always, there’s tons of speculation, but no facts to support the assertions. Do you have any evidence to support the assertions made? Yes or no?
      Last edited by lilpixieofterror; 05-17-2020, 02:32 PM.
      "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
      GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Reading is hard:
        It *is* hard. But ignorance and sloth is even harder. For me, at least.

Trump has fired 6, there’s 1600 currently working. Meaning .3% have been fired. What a crisis!
        This is the dumbest argument I've heard in a long, long time. Congrats.

Comment

Reading is hard:

IIRC, on like his second day in office Ronald Reagan summarily fired all of the Inspector Generals (IGs) and wouldn't rehire any of those appointed by his Democratic predecessor, Jimmy Carter. He later relented rehiring some of them.

Both George W. and Obama were criticized for their firings of IGs while they were president.

So while some complain, this is par for the course and, moreover, since they serve at the pleasure of the president, meaning they can be replaced at any time, the president has the absolute authority to fire IGs.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
            IIRC, on like his second day in office Ronald Reagan summarily fired all of the Inspector Generals (IGs) and wouldn't rehire any of those appointed by his Democratic predecessor, Jimmy Carter. He later relented rehiring some of them.

Both George W. and Obama were criticized for their firings of IGs while they were president.

So while some complain, this is par for the course and, moreover, since they serve at the pleasure of the president, meaning they can be replaced at any time, the president has the absolute authority to fire IGs.
            Again, IsG can be removed for any reason but not for a corrupt reason. No one is claiming Trump does not have the legal authority to fire an IG.

Comment

Again, IsG can be removed for any reason but not for a corrupt reason. No one is claiming Trump does not have the legal authority to fire an IG.
              I think the problem is that a President shouldn't have that power. How can they be said to be independent, if they serve at the pleasure of the President and can be fired by him at any time with no consequences? So far he has fired IG's that had roles in the impeachment process or have been critical of his policies. If he can fire them with impunity, replaing them with loyalist, then they can no longer be said to be independent and you can kiss goodbye any oversight of any dept within his Administration.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
                I think the problem is that a President shouldn't have that power. How can they be said to be independent, if they serve at the pleasure of the President and can be fired by him at any time with no consequences? So far he has fired IG's that had roles in the impeachment process or have been critical of his policies. If he can fire them with impunity, replaing them with loyalist, then they can no longer be said to be independent and you can kiss goodbye any oversight of any dept within his Administration.
                I agree and I imagine that we will pass a number of laws to enforce the right behavior which had previously followed by convention.

The Constitution and our system of government wasn't designed to deal with those who don't give a [care].

Comment

I agree and I imagine that we will pass a number of laws to enforce the right behavior which had previously followed by convention.

The Constitution and our system of government wasn't designed to deal with those who don't give a [care].
                  You'd think Congress would have thought about that when they created the positions after Nixon and the watergate debacle. The saturday night massacre.

Comment

It *is* hard. But ignorance and sloth is even harder. For me, at least.

This is the dumbest argument I've heard in a long, long time. Congrats.
                    That’s funny, coming from the dozers you’ve made, but why bring up 6 have been fired as though it’s a serious problem? Has firing .3% of the total IG’s out there destroyed their ability to do their job? Do you have a single shred of evidence to support the assertion that he was fired for an investigation of Mike Pompeo? Is there even any evidence that an investigation was taking place? Your move, troll.
                    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Evidence for this assertion is...
                      GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
                        Apparently he had just opened an investigation into M. Pompeo and his use of State Dept aids to run errands for his family.
                        You mean like a SS agent picked up his grandson from school? Pretty serious stuff. Perhaps the taxpayer salary that Trump doesn't accept can be directed to pay for the excessive damages.

Comment

Evidence for this assertion is...
                          Evidence for which assertion? That you can't fire an IG for corrupt reasons? Don't waste my time.

Comment

That’s funny, coming from the dozers you’ve made, but why bring up 6 have been fired as though it’s a serious problem? Has firing .3% of the total IG’s out there destroyed their ability to do their job? Do you have a single shred of evidence to support the assertion that he was fired for an investigation of Mike Pompeo? Is there even any evidence that an investigation was taking place? Your move, troll.
                            IG's overseeing the State Dept., the Dept. of Defense. the Intelligence Dept., the Health Dept. (in the middle of a pandemic)- figure it out!

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post
                              You mean like a SS agent picked up his grandson from school? Pretty serious stuff. Perhaps the taxpayer salary that Trump doesn't accept can be directed to pay for the excessive damages.
                              Oh, sorry, I wasn't aware the exact details of the investigation had been revealed.

Comment

Evidence for which assertion? That you can't fire an IG for corrupt reasons? Don't waste my time.
                                Do you have any evidence of this ‘corruption’? I see lots of conjecture, no hard evidence.
                                GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment