Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Trump fires 4th Inspector General.

tWebber
    Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post
    But it sure looks like some are jumping to the conclusion that since it is Trump then it just must (MUST I say!) have been illegal or at the very least unethical.
    There's a reason the standard of behavior is to avoid the "appearance of impropriety" in most cases. It's because doing something proper but which appears improper harms the credibility of the underlying institutions (and is self defeating besides).

So, while it is possible that Trump was acting properly, given that the fired IG was very close to finishing up a report which involves Pompeo it certainly gives the outward appearance that the firing might have been improper. It makes everyone's lives a lot easier to act with a higher standard than just what the letter of the law demands.

Faith
    Unspecified
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by firstfloor View Post
    Trump: I don’t know the guy, never heard of him. Mike Pompeo told me to do it.

What an admission!
    All-the-more notable in the context of a tweet he posted in 2013:

Leadership: Whatever happens, you're responsible. If it doesn't happen, you're responsible.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    But it sure looks like some are jumping to the conclusion that since it is Trump then it just must (MUST I say!) have been illegal or at the very least unethical.
    Quote Originally Posted by oxmixmudd View Post
    The probability is indeed very, very high. But that does not mean that in a small percentage of the cases he might actually be justified. Which is part of the game he plays - he only needs to be justified 1 in 10 or 1 in 20 actions for him to keep the support of people like you. And those are massively winning odds when your goal is to stop oversight so you can do whatever you want to do.
    Thank you for providing an example that illustrates what I said.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

4. Amen Mountain Man amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
    We don't even know if that's true. Politico's source was a congressional aide, so this could very well just be office gossip.
    Pompeo has admitted he requested Trump to fire

Source: https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/18/politics/pompeo-inspector-general-firing-explanation/index.html

Washington (CNN)Secretary of State Mike Pompeo on Monday said that he asked President Donald Trump to remove State Department Inspector General Steve Linick because the independent watchdog was "undermining" the department and wasn't performing in a way that the top US diplomat wanted him to.

"I went to the President and made clear to him that Inspector General Linick wasn't performing a function in a way that we had tried to get him to, that was additive for the State Department, very consistent with what the statute says he's supposed to be doing," he told The Washington Post in his first public comments on the matter. "The kinds of activities he's supposed to undertake to make us better, to improve us."

He did not go into details about what specifically displeased him about Linick's job performance.

Speaking at the White House Monday, Trump repeatedly said he fired Linick -- whom the President claimed not to know -- at Pompeo's request.

"I said, 'Who appointed him?' And they say, 'President Obama.' I said, 'Look, I will terminate him.' I don't know what's going on other than that. You would have to ask Mike Pompeo. They did ask me to do it, and I did it," Trump said.

Trump informed Congress on Friday of his intent to fire Linick. A senior State Department official told CNN then that Pompeo had made the recommendation.
    The Office of Inspector General acts as an independent watchdog of the State Department. One of its core values is "integrity." "We maintain our independence and act with courage, honesty, and professionalism. Our work is fact-based, objective, and supported by sufficient evidence that meets professional standards," it states on its website.
    A former senior State Department official told CNN that "an independent IG's job is to be that: independent. If the IG is doing his job, the IG is going to be at odds with the seventh floor. The IGs job is to uncover waste fraud and abuse," they said.

IG investigations into Pompeo

On Friday night, House Foreign Affairs Chairman Eliot Engel, a New York Democrat, revealed that Pompeo had been under investigation by the Inspector General's office. A Democratic aide told CNN this weekend that the IG had been probing whether Pompeo made a staffer perform a variety of personal errands, including walking his dog.
    Engel said Monday that the ousted IG had almost finished an investigation into Pompeo's decision to fast-track an $8 billion arms sale to Saudi Arabia. Later on Monday a congressional aide confirmed that Pompeo had refused to sit for an interview with the inspector general's office as part of that investigation.

Pompeo claimed he was not aware that Linick was investigating him at the time he recommended that the IG be removed. According to the Post, he only knew about one case "involving a national security matter."

© Copyright Original Source

Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Thank you for providing an example that illustrates what I said.
    You are welcome. The problem for you is that you want me to deny the truth just because you want to pretend that is not what Trump is doing and I'm somehow being unfair. To assume Trump is trying to skirt oversight is not being unfair, it is simply predicting current behavior based on past behavior. I can predict that Trump will lie about something today. And he will. I'm not being unfair, it's just what he does.

Your mistake is in deceiving yourself into believing that Trump has not earned the reputation and the just expectation that his firing if the IG was for unethical reasons. He fires people when they put ethics or the good of the country ahead of loyalty to him. It's purely random then as to when what he does actually turns out to also be justifiable for ethical reasons.
    Last edited by oxmixmudd; 05-19-2020 at 01:34 PM.
    He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me."

"So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets"

tWebber
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by firstfloor View Post
    Trump: I don’t know the guy, never heard of him. Mike Pompeo told me to do it.

What an admission!
    If you noticed, that is his go to excuse. He said the same about Dr. Bright. Oh, I don't know the man, never heard of him. Interesting how the Trump crowd never picks up on that. Trump is like Sgt Shultz on the old Hogans Heros show. "I know nothingk!"

tWebber
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Trump ousts another IG , the IG of the Dept of Transportation, who was apparently investigating the Secretary of the Dept., Elaine Chou, wife of Moscow Mitch.

http://www.politico.com/news/2020/05...general-268611

I don't know, seems like Trump forgot that he was supposed to drain the swamp, not free it up!

Faith
    Full Gospel Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    This has been my point for quite a while. Whatever Trump does is ok, as longs as while he's doing it he's trumbing his nose (or giving the finger to) someone with a liberal label.

He can violate the emoluments clause
    Turley, not a Trumper, recognizes this claim is bogus.

He can throw the children of immigrants in jail
    Cages. Get the narrative right.

And of course, they were actually Barry's cages. (Admittedly that fiasco went too far and lasted too long.)

He can invite china to interfere in our elections
    Russia. And it was a joke. But humorless people can't accept that.

He can abuse his power and fire anyone and everyone that would hold him accountable
    I'm not convinced that's the case in general, but it does appear likely in the case of the State Dept. IG.

He can undermine free speech and convince half the country to ignore the press almost in its entirety
    A 2-fer!

First, he is in no way undermining free speech. That dishonor goes to the fascist left in gubmint and Big Tech.

Second, ignoring the press almost in its entirety, at this point in history, is probably not a bad idea, especially if one wishes to maintain one's sanity.

He can have multiple women who he has molested or committed adultury with
    No one has denied that his personal behavior, especially prior to serving as POTUS, is not something to emulate.

He can ignore a pandemic until we have 10's of thousands of deaths and encourage insane conspiracy theories or rhetoric designed to make half the country think 'it's just like the flu'.
    Glad to see you no longer trust Farcical and Scarf Queen, since they've consistently said he acted promptly and properly.

He can lie about anything and nearly everything each and every day
    Turley has noted the paradox here, viz. that he lies (but not nearly so much as his critics claim), but that he has been strikingly honest in keeping campaign promises.

He can do almost anything that under normal circumstances would have him impeached or people marching in the streets of washington - but as long as while he is doing it he's giving a Democrat the finger, it is ok.
    Giving libs the bird is a glorious bonus.

As to "impeached," he *was* impeached -- and acquitted. If the House had not been so crazy and feckless, they might have been able to make a strong enough "obstruction" case to get maybe 60 votes in the Senate, but probably not enough to remove him. And if he were not so temperamental, he would not have given them the ammo for the obstruction case.
    Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Nationalist.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by NorrinRadd View Post

Giving libs the bird is a glorious bonus.

As to "impeached," he *was* impeached -- and acquitted. If the House had not been so crazy and feckless, they might have been able to make a strong enough "obstruction" case to get maybe 60 votes in the Senate, but probably not enough to remove him. And if he were not so temperamental, he would not have given them the ammo for the obstruction case.
    Your list of Trumpian denials is not worth the time, and I don't have the time. But others can feel free to take them on, I'm not wasting my time at this point. Maybe later.

This last one is just classic Trumpian denial. What we have are a bunch of GOP minions in the senate that have sold their souls to Donald Trump. The decision to acquit was made long before any evidence was looked at, and indeed, they refused to interview as many sources as possible. As long as the senate majority is in the hands of these minions, Trump is immune from the consequences of his actions. I don't know if Donald has a safe with dirt on them holding it over their heads, or if they are just so enamored with power and so committed to keeping it they will do anything to keep it, but whatever the reason, it's dirty, and it has turned our once high ideals into a laughing stock. We now are effectively a bananna republic where the counselors and senators are, for the majority, just yes men that do his bidding.

Fortunately we still have some areas of the government that will stand up to him:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/20/polit...nvs/index.html

But I'm sure there will be firings and replacements in the CDC to get them 'on board' as well.

The fools that did not vote to remove will be listed in history as likely taking a pass on one of the last chances we had to stop the Trump Train To Travesty.

We have six months to get this guy out. If he gets a second term, it is very likely we are pretty much done. If not with Trump then with someone who comes behind him building on the massacre of our government checks and balances he has initiated.

And you Norrin will get to tell your children and grandchildren how you helped make the corruption and dismantling of the Greatest Free nation in the world possible.
    Last edited by oxmixmudd; 05-20-2020 at 08:19 AM.
    He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me."

"So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets"

God bless the USA. Ack!! Bill the Cat's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Your list of Trumpian denials is not worth the time, and I don't have the time. But others can feel free to take them on, I'm not wasting my time at this point. Maybe later.

This last one is just classic Trumpian denial. What we have are a bunch of GOP minions in the senate that have sold their souls to Donald Trump. The decision to acquit was made long before any evidence was looked at, and indeed, they refused to interview as many sources as possible. As long as the senate majority is in the hands of these minions, Trump is immune from the consequences of his actions. I don't know if Donald has a safe with dirt on them holding it over their heads, or if they are just so enamored with power and so committed to keeping it they will do anything to keep it, but whatever the reason, it's dirty, and it has turned our once high ideals into a laughing stock. We now are effectively a bananna republic where the counselors and senators are, for the majority, just yes men that do his bidding.

Fortunately we still have some areas of the government that will stand up to him:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/20/polit...nvs/index.html

But I'm sure there will be firings and replacements in the CDC to get them 'on board' as well.

The fools that did not vote to remove will be listed in history as likely taking a pass on one of the last chances we had to stop the Trump Train To Travesty.

We have six months to get this guy out. If he gets a second term, it is very likely we are pretty much done. If not with Trump then with someone who comes behind him building on the massacre of our government checks and balances he has initiated.

And you Norrin will get to tell your children and grandchildren how you helped make the corruption and dismantling of the Greatest Free nation in the world possible.
    My God, Jim, your hatred is palpable. As is your chicken little routine. It's pathetic.

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals --- Manya the Holy Szin --- The Quintara Marathon ---

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common --- Stephen R. Donaldson ---

12. Amen RumTumTugger, Mountain Man amen'd this post.