Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 158

Thread: Trump fires 4th Inspector General.

  1. #101
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Faith
    Atheist
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,062
    Amen (Given)
    163
    Amen (Received)
    160
    Quote Originally Posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
    Happened under Obama too (see GSA 800,000 dollars party scandal).
    From https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...s-bill/329797/


    Martha Johnson, chief of the General Services Administration, and two of her top executives resigned today. You probably would too if you spent over $800,000 of taxpayer dollars on an extravagant "conference" off of the Las Vegas Strip. If you don't know the General Services Administration (GSA) was created to, in their words, "streamline the administrative work of the federal government" and it "oversees the business of the U.S. federal government." Somehow, Johnson and her crew parlayed those tenets into a "regional meeting" in Henderson, Nevada (having the discretion to not be at a hotel on The Strip--that's a modicum of modesty right?).


    Since you agree the two scandals are equivalent I'm sure you will also call for Pompeo's resignation ;).

  2. Amen JimL amen'd this post.
  3. #102
    What's that? lilpixieofterror's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    11,685
    Amen (Given)
    1586
    Amen (Received)
    3661
    Quote Originally Posted by DivineOb View Post
    From https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...s-bill/329797/


    Martha Johnson, chief of the General Services Administration, and two of her top executives resigned today. You probably would too if you spent over $800,000 of taxpayer dollars on an extravagant "conference" off of the Las Vegas Strip. If you don't know the General Services Administration (GSA) was created to, in their words, "streamline the administrative work of the federal government" and it "oversees the business of the U.S. federal government." Somehow, Johnson and her crew parlayed those tenets into a "regional meeting" in Henderson, Nevada (having the discretion to not be at a hotel on The Strip--that's a modicum of modesty right?).


    Since you agree the two scandals are equivalent I'm sure you will also call for Pompeo's resignation ;).
    That’s awesome wordstuffing. Let me know when you arrive at my actual position.
    "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

  4. #103
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    18,042
    Amen (Given)
    2249
    Amen (Received)
    1751
    Quote Originally Posted by DivineOb View Post
    From https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...s-bill/329797/


    Martha Johnson, chief of the General Services Administration, and two of her top executives resigned today. You probably would too if you spent over $800,000 of taxpayer dollars on an extravagant "conference" off of the Las Vegas Strip. If you don't know the General Services Administration (GSA) was created to, in their words, "streamline the administrative work of the federal government" and it "oversees the business of the U.S. federal government." Somehow, Johnson and her crew parlayed those tenets into a "regional meeting" in Henderson, Nevada (having the discretion to not be at a hotel on The Strip--that's a modicum of modesty right?).


    Since you agree the two scandals are equivalent I'm sure you will also call for Pompeo's resignation ;).
    Of course she won't. The consistent hypocricy of many republicans/conservatives, specifically many of them on this site, they always make so shamelessly apparent. They never seem to see the reality of the frauds in their own party, of the swamp of fraudulent toadies Trump formed in his administration, of their corruption, of their abuse of power, of their disregard for, and their violations of, the Constitution. They never see it, or they choose not to accept the facts of it when they see it, but instead they alway, always, defend the frauds and the crooks. This is the party that is always boasting about their morality, their patriotism, about their love of country and its Constitution, of Liberty and law. But like the leaders they elect, they show themselves to be just as fraudulent, just as unpatriotic, just as undemocratic, just as immoral as the people they elect. So no, Lilpix doesn't have it in her to admit to Pompeos abuse of power, would never call for his resignation, anymore than she could admit to Trumps corruption and abuse of power. She's on the team, good or bad, she's on the team, and though the team is corrupt, it's still her team., and she will defend them till the end, regardless.
    Last edited by JimL; 05-20-2020 at 09:48 PM.

  5. Amen DivineOb, EvoUK amen'd this post.
  6. #104
    Professor Cerebrum123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    10,020
    Amen (Given)
    19882
    Amen (Received)
    3815
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill the Cat View Post
    My God, Jim, your hatred is palpable. As is your chicken little routine. It's pathetic.
    For the sarcastically impaired the following is said in jest

    The only reason you think that is because of TWeb group think.


  7. Amen RumTumTugger amen'd this post.
  8. #105
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Maryland
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    8,876
    Amen (Given)
    772
    Amen (Received)
    2073
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
    The only reason you think that is because of TWeb group think.
    so true, so true ...
    He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me."

    "So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets"

  9. #106
    God bless the USA. Ack!! Bill the Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Central VA
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    16,619
    Amen (Given)
    8234
    Amen (Received)
    8775
    Quote Originally Posted by DivineOb View Post
    Your link defaults to only displaying 13 results, with the USA at 8th place. Expand it to 50 and and the USA is at... 8th. What do you think your link proves that is beneficial to your case?
    Take a look at #2 and then re-read Jim's list o' countries with supposedly "great response".


    Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals --- Manya the Holy Szin --- The Quintara Marathon ---

    I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common --- Stephen R. Donaldson ---

  10. #107
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Maryland
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    8,876
    Amen (Given)
    772
    Amen (Received)
    2073
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill the Cat View Post
    Take a look at #2 and then re-read Jim's list o' countries with supposedly "great response".
    Bill changed the metric and thinks that means my post was wrong. Yeah, if you change the metric then the results will not match. That is pretty much a tautology - different measurements systems typically do give different results, but bill thinks it means 'oxmixmudd was wrong'.

    Your point would be more precisely to say - raw death count is not as good a measure of success as deaths per million, and then we could discuss when and if that is true or false.

    But my post was correct bill. The USA has the most cases, and the most deaths of any nation in the world. And that is the metric I used as an example of Trump bungling the covid-19 response. There are plenty of other metrics that show the same thing, including yours. the us should not be 8th in deaths per million BTC, not if the pandemic had been handled properly. We are worse than S.Korea, Germany, Canada, Russia (though may not for long) etc etc. We lead the world in deaths, and likely will for a while. Though there are a number of countries where it is out of control (Brazil, Mexico, Russia etc) and they may one day pass us. But my point stands - Trump completely bungled our response, and continues to bungle it, and likely will never get it right, because he is focused on short term appearances and what inflates his ego, not what experts in the field are telling him.
    Last edited by oxmixmudd; 05-21-2020 at 07:54 AM.
    He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me."

    "So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets"

  11. #108
    God bless the USA. Ack!! Bill the Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Central VA
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    16,619
    Amen (Given)
    8234
    Amen (Received)
    8775
    Quote Originally Posted by oxmixmudd View Post
    There is way to much hatred and irrational ranting in this post for me to even bother. You likely wouldn't comprehend the response anyway.
    Hatred? From the man who can't keep Trump out of basically ANY thread?

    I would also remind you that accusations of lying require substantiation, keeping in mind for something I say to be 'a lie' I must know it to be untrue. I assure you none of my post contains comments stated as true that I know to be untrue.
    True. You're think your opinions are factual, and your opinions are typically crap. Lying implies you know the truth.

    So - do you feel better now that you've gotten all that off your chest?
    What? Explaining that your opinions are not facts? Sure, whatever.

    ETA:

    I will concede that if the metric used is deaths per million, UK is doing worse than the US. Of course, the metric I was using was NOT deaths per million, but the total number of cases and the total number of deaths. But even using your metric, S.Korea and Germany still beat us, as does China, and Russia, and Denmark, and Canada and ... shall I go on?
    Please do. It shows you still don't know what I am even talking about. But here's another one:

    Capture1.GIF

    How does mortality differ across countries?
    One of the most important ways to measure the burden of COVID-19 is mortality. Countries throughout the world have reported very different case fatality ratios – the number of deaths divided by the number of confirmed cases. Differences in mortality numbers can be caused by:

    Differences in the number of people tested: With more testing, more people with milder cases are identified. This lowers the case-fatality ratio.
    Demographics: For example, mortality tends to be higher in older populations.
    Characteristics of the healthcare system: For example, mortality may rise as hospitals become overwhelmed and have fewer resources.
    Other factors, many of which remain unknown.


    Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals --- Manya the Holy Szin --- The Quintara Marathon ---

    I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common --- Stephen R. Donaldson ---

  12. Amen RumTumTugger amen'd this post.
  13. #109
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Maryland
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    8,876
    Amen (Given)
    772
    Amen (Received)
    2073
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill the Cat View Post
    Hatred? From the man who can't keep Trump out of basically ANY thread?



    True. You're think your opinions are factual, and your opinions are typically crap. Lying implies you know the truth.



    What? Explaining that your opinions are not facts? Sure, whatever.



    Please do. It shows you still don't know what I am even talking about. But here's another one:

    Capture1.GIF

    How does mortality differ across countries?
    One of the most important ways to measure the burden of COVID-19 is mortality. Countries throughout the world have reported very different case fatality ratios – the number of deaths divided by the number of confirmed cases. Differences in mortality numbers can be caused by:

    Differences in the number of people tested: With more testing, more people with milder cases are identified. This lowers the case-fatality ratio.
    Demographics: For example, mortality tends to be higher in older populations.
    Characteristics of the healthcare system: For example, mortality may rise as hospitals become overwhelmed and have fewer resources.
    Other factors, many of which remain unknown.
    you are one confused puppy. Do you even know what point you are trying to make?Do you suppose I'm not aware of the facts you list above? Do you suppose that if you just randomly talk about different numbers and different measurements it will change the truth of my original comments?

    The US naive mortality (#deaths/#cases)*100 is 5.95%. That is worse than Germany(4.6%), and worse than S. Korea (2.34%). I don't think anything has yet changed Bill.

    But if you wish to discuss which metric is the best metric of success in the covid-19 response, until good treatments or a vaccine has been produced, mortality is not as good a measure as spread of the disease, because different demographics will have different mortalities due to the change in mortality with age and health, and as you point out, mortality is also influenced by total per capita testing due to asymptomatic or mild cases that go unreported. The best measure of success then is containment. Are we keeping the disease from spreading. That is where Trump has completely failed. And that is where - for now at least - S.Korea is light years ahead of us. And if we look at nations with a large number of cases (>50,000), only Spain and Belgium (barely) exceeds us in cases per million.

    If you wish to switch from mortality to deaths per million, then your case is a bit stronger, because deaths per million is an indirect measure of spread, but again demographics like age and quality of medical care come into play. There is also the fact that countries getting the disease later in the process benefit from lessons learned early in the process. If we look at deaths per million, again, of the 3 countries I mentioned in my original post, only the UK exceeds us. Germany and S. Korea are better. Other nations - nations that also delayed or bungled their responses similarly to Trump - spain, italy, france, UK, are worse than the US.

    But pick your metric, Our response has been bad from day 1. Which nations are worse depend on the metric picked, but of the 3 I mentioned, Germany and S.Korea are better no matter which one you pick. And out response continues to be bad. We are still disorganized and fractured, and we have no real leadership above the state level.
    Last edited by oxmixmudd; 05-21-2020 at 08:29 AM.
    He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me."

    "So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets"

  14. #110
    God bless the USA. Ack!! Bill the Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Central VA
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    16,619
    Amen (Given)
    8234
    Amen (Received)
    8775
    Quote Originally Posted by oxmixmudd View Post
    you are one confused puppy. Do you even know what point you are trying to make?
    Of course I do. The US had PREDICTED 2 Million deaths. We are barely at 5% of that prediction. That is a HUGE win. Leftist prats like you refuse to acknowledge that.

    Do you suppose I'm not aware of the facts you list above? Do you suppose that if you just randomly talk about different numbers and different measurements it will change the truth of my original comments?
    If you were aware, you'd admit that limiting deaths to 5% of the initial forecast is a YUUUGE success. I'll wait...

    The US naive mortality (#deaths/#cases)*100 is 5.95%. That is worse than Germany(4.6%), and worse than S. Korea (2.34%). I don't think anything has yet changed Bill.
    But it is still significant that we are comparably close to several Western countries that had different approaches to the virus.

    But if you wish to discuss which metric is the best metric of success in the covid-19 response, until good treatments or a vaccine has been produced, mortality is not as good a measure as spread of the disease, because different demographics will have different mortalities due to the change in mortality with age and health.
    Then you are at odds with the good folks at Johns Hopkins, who said "One of the most important ways to measure the burden of COVID-19 is mortality."

    The best measure of success is containment.
    You are wrong. The best measure of success is how many people get better.

    Are we keeping the disease from spreading. That is where Trump has completely failed. And that is where - for now at least - S.Korea is light years ahead of us. And if we look at nations with a large number of cases (>50,000), only Spain and Belgium (barely) exceeds us in cases per million.
    And our recovery rate is nearly identical to other countries as well. People are going to get it until a vaccine is developed. The question is not how many, but when.

    Our response has been bad from day 1.
    False

    And it continues to be bad.
    False. It has kept the predicted deaths down to 5% of the initial models.

    We are disorganized and fractured,
    Because we have 50 governors doing 50 things.

    we have no real leadership above the state level.
    False. It's there. You just don't like them.


    Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals --- Manya the Holy Szin --- The Quintara Marathon ---

    I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common --- Stephen R. Donaldson ---

  15. Amen RumTumTugger amen'd this post.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •