Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Trump fires 4th Inspector General.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by JimL View Post
    The wannabe dictator has now fired his fourth Inspector General. Steve Linick, who served under both Bush and Obama was fired late friday night with no explanation given. Apparently he had just opened an investigation into M. Pompeo and his use of State Dept aids to run errands for his family. Pompeo it is alleged requested Trump to fire Linick. This is the 4th IG to be fired by Trump, along with Linick, the State Dept. IG, Trump has also fired M Atkinson, the IG of the Intelligence community, Glen Fine, IG of the defense Dept. and Christi Grimm, Deputy IG of the Dept of Health.

http://www.politico.com/news/2020/05...l-fired-261536

Banana republic here we come! Do you think you Trumpsters will ever wake up!
    Sayeth the people locking up people in their homes, filling in skateboard parks with sand, and arresting people for not wearing mask.
    "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

2. Amen NorrinRadd amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by DivineOb View Post
    For that I'd refer you to the OP.

Apparently he had just opened an investigation into M. Pompeo and his use of State Dept aids to run errands for his family. Pompeo it is alleged requested Trump to fire Linick.

If Linick indeed had just opened an investigation into Pompeo then we're well on our way.
    According to a "Democratic congressional aide".
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

4. Amen RumTumTugger amen'd this post.
    tWebber
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
    Sayeth the people locking up people in their homes, filling in skateboard parks with sand, and arresting people for not wearing mask.
    Are you talking about the Presidential guidelines?

Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
    What Jimmy doesn't seem to understand is that inspector generals serve at the pleasure of the president and can be fired at any time for any reason.
    Yes, the president can unfortunately hire and fire inspector generals at his pleasure, but . . .

Source: https://www.thoughtco.com/about-the-office-of-inspector-general-3322191

A U.S. federal inspector general (IG) is the head of an independent, non-partisan organization established within each executive branch agency assigned to audit the agency’s operation in order to discover and investigate cases of misconduct, waste, fraud and other abuse of government procedures occurring within the agency.

Within the federal agencies are politically independent individuals called Inspectors General who are responsible for ensuring that the agencies operate efficiently, effectively and legally. When it was reported in October 2006 that Department of Interior employees wasted $2,027,887.68 worth of taxpayer time annually surfing sexually explicit, gambling, and auction websites while at work, it was the Interior Department's own Office of Inspector General that conducted the investigation and issued the report.

The Mission of the Office of Inspector General

Established by the Inspector General Act of 1978, the Office of Inspector General (OIG) examines all actions of a government agency or military organization. Conducting audits and investigations, either independently or in response to reports of wrongdoing, the OIG ensures that the agency's operations are in compliance with the law and general established policies of the government. Audits conducted by the OIG are intended to ensure the effectiveness of security procedures or to discover the possibility of misconduct, waste, fraud, theft, or certain types of criminal activity by individuals or groups related to the agency's operation. Misuse of agency funds or equipment is often revealed by OIG audits.

There are currently 73 offices of US inspectors general, far more than the initial 12 offices created by the Inspector General Act of 1978. Along with administrative staff and several financial and procedural auditors, each office employs special agents—criminal investigators who are often armed.

The work of the IG offices involves detecting and preventing fraud, waste, abuse, and mismanagement of the government programs and operations within their parent agencies or organizations. Investigations conducted by the IG offices may target internal government employees or external government contractors, grant recipients, or recipients of loans and subsidies offered through federal assistance programs.

To help them carry out their investigative role, Inspectors General have the authority to issue subpoenas for information and documents, administer oaths for taking testimony, and can hire and control their own staff and contract personnel. The investigative authority of Inspectors General is limited only by certain national security and law enforcement considerations.

© Copyright Original Source

It is problem when he fires the inspector general investigating Pompeo at Pompeo's request.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by shunyadragon View Post
    It is problem when he fires the inspector general investigating Pompeo at Pompeo's request.
    We don't even know if that's true. Politico's source was a congressional aide, so this could very well just be office gossip.

8. Amen RumTumTugger, NorrinRadd amen'd this post.
    tWebber
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
    We don't even know if that's true. Politico's source was a congressional aide, so this could very well just be office gossip.
    But it could be true. The fact is that we don't know why, for what specific reason pertaining to his job as IG, he was fired. The reason can not be simply that the President doesn't like him. That would overthrow the whole point of oversight.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Are you talking about the Presidential guidelines?
    I wasn’t aware that the president suggested throwing people into prison or filing in skateparks.
    "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    But it could be true. The fact is that we don't know why, for what specific reason pertaining to his job as IG, he was fired. The reason can not be simply that the President doesn't like him. That would overthrow the whole point of oversight.
    It could also be true he was fired for being a Chinese spy. Speculation, isn’t evidence Jimmy.
    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by JimLamebrain View Post
    The fact is that we don't know...

tWebber
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
    It could also be true he was fired for being a Chinese spy. Speculation, isn’t evidence Jimmy.
    If so, then it is up to the President to make that clear to Congress. Trump is attempting to rid the government of any independent oversight into his Administration. Do you approve of that idea?