Announcement

Collapse

Philosophy 201 Guidelines

Cogito ergo sum

Here in the Philosophy forum we will talk about all the "why" questions. We'll have conversations about the way in which philosophy and theology and religion interact with each other. Metaphysics, ontology, origins, truth? They're all fair game so jump right in and have some fun! But remember...play nice!

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

B Theory Of Time...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by seer View Post
    Space is just void, emptiness. Is time emptiness? Nothingness? And it is completely arbitrary. What is a year, a day?
    Space isn't nothingness, it's obviously something or it would not react to the mass within it. Nothingness would be lacking space. But in B-theory space isn't continuing to expand into the future creating more space, becausee just like all of time is real, all of space is real according to B-theory, The BLOCK UNIVERSE, in so far as I understand it, does not expand into the future. Spacetime is all there.

A thought just came to mind though. If all of spacetime is real, then how is it that we percieve the age of the universe itself to be getting older? If it's 14 billion years old now, how could it be that we would perceive it to be 15 bllion years old a billion years from now?
    Last edited by JimL; 05-27-2020, 02:10 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
      Space isn't nothingness, it's obviously something or it would not react to the mass within it. Nothingness would be lacking space. But in B-theory space isn't continuing to expand into the future creating more space, becausee just like all of time is real, all of space is real according to B-theory, The BLOCK UNIVERSE, in so far as I understand it, does not expand into the future. It's all there.
      But that still does not tell me what time actually is. In other words if we did not have the arrow of time marking successive events would we even know what time was? How?
      Last edited by seer; 05-27-2020, 02:12 PM.
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

I would suggest that space is material, it bends and warps due to the mass of the objects within it, also known as gravity.
        as is time. It bends and warps depending on the objects within it also, including gravity.

Comment

Space is just void, emptiness. Is time emptiness? Nothingness? And it is completely arbitrary. What is a year, a day?
          It is more than emptiness. It exists whether there are object in it or not. There is space inside your body, as well as in the emptiest void. You have no understanding what space is, but you accept that it is. Same with time.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
            It is more than emptiness. It exist whether there are object in it or not. There is space inside your body, as well as in the emptiest void. You have no understanding what space is, but you accept that it is. Same with time.
            I think I said something similar in a previous post in this thread, but I think there are some concepts that just can't be defined in terms of something else, because the definitions will invariably end up being circular, the only way to "define" them are to "point" to examples of the concept. I believe "time" is one such concept. You could define "time" as somehow being related to "change" in some way, but as BP pointed out a few pages ago, if you do that you have to define "change", which is almost impossible to do without reference to "time", so you end up with a circular definition. So the only option we have left, as far as I can see, is to simply define time by referring to our experience of time (i.e pointing to examples of "time").

Comment

• Space is what keeps all objects from existing in the same location.

Comment

It is more than emptiness. It exists whether there are object in it or not. There is space inside your body, as well as in the emptiest void. You have no understanding what space is, but you accept that it is. Same with time.
                But you would not know what time is without the arrow of time. And our hours, days and such are arbitrary. What is a day on Neptune?
                Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

But that still does not tell me what time actually is.
                  According to B-theory, time is like space in the sense that like spatial dimensions there are different locations within it. What that means with respect to what time itself actually is, if anything, is beyond me. I'm becoming more and more skeptical of B-theory the more I think about it. But then again, how could it be that ones speed through time has anything to do with it, if the time dimension wasn't like space, a something in itself.

Comment

But you would not know what time is without the arrow of time. And our hours, days and such are arbitrary. What is a day on Neptune?
                    Well, the fact that our measurements of time (hours, days, etc...) are arbitrary doesn't say anything about whether the concept of time itself is arbitrary. Deciding to measure things in meters, foots, inches etc. is also a largely subjective/arbitrary decision, but that doesn't mean length itself is an arbitrary concept. And even if you somehow end up on Neptune it would still be possible to accurately measure a 24-hour, earth-day period, even if that period didn't line up with the time intervall of a full rotation of Neptune around it's own axis.

Comment

Space is what keeps all objects from existing in the same location.
                      "Space" is what I put after "personal" when I want to tell people to keep their distance.

Comment

What does any of that have to do with "what is time?"

It is a dimension, just like "length" "width" and "depth" are dimensions. Can you describe what they are "made of?" If so, maybe you should become a physicist.

What is an inch made of on Neptune?

Comment

• Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
                          "Space" is what I put after "personal" when I want to tell people to keep their distance.

See? It keeps them from existing in your location. Time does the same thing. It keeps things from existing at the same location, not by separating them by space, but by time. If you move away from your location, then someone else can move into your last location. You both now exist at the same location, but separated by time instead of space.

It's just another dimension.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
                            Well, the fact that our measurements of time (hours, days, etc...) are arbitrary doesn't say anything about whether the concept of time itself is arbitrary. Deciding to measure things in meters, foots, inches etc. is also a largely subjective/arbitrary decision, but that doesn't mean length itself is an arbitrary concept. And even if you somehow end up on Neptune it would still be possible to accurately measure a 24-hour, earth-day period, even if that period didn't line up with the time intervall of a full rotation of Neptune around it's own axis.
                            Except everything we know about time relates to successive events, if those events did not exist we could not know about time. Some say that in B Theory time is static, what the hell does mean?

Comment

What does any of that have to do with "what is time?"

It is a dimension, just like "length" "width" and "depth" are dimensions. Can you describe what they are "made of?" If so, maybe you should become a physicist.

What is an inch made of on Neptune?
                              And what is a dimension?

Comment

And what is a dimension?
                                What space-time is made of

Comment