Page 27 of 39 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast
Results 261 to 270 of 387

Thread: B Theory Of Time...

  1. #261
    tWebber seer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    New England
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    27,876
    Amen (Given)
    2197
    Amen (Received)
    5772
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    So you believe a whole new universe, albeit slightly larger, is created all the time as the future becomes the present, and the old universe just ceases to exist? By what mechanism or power source does this creation take place?
    Sparko, you seem to be all over the map. Let me ask you, I had a friend who died recently - is he still alive and conscious somewhere in the universe? And I'm not speaking of heaven or the afterlife.
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

  2. #262
    Troll Magnet Sparko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    54,806
    Amen (Given)
    5614
    Amen (Received)
    23938
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrawnus View Post
    GPSes would work even under a Lorentz interpretation of relativity. And the Michealson-Morley experiment just couldn't detect an aether, it did not disprove it's existence. The issue is not which interpretation has the most empirical support, the issue is on a philosophical level. You cannot differentiate between a Lorentzian interpretation of relativity and SR, because they are empirically identical.
    No, it showed that there was no aether.

  3. #263
    Troll Magnet Sparko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    54,806
    Amen (Given)
    5614
    Amen (Received)
    23938
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrawnus View Post
    Yes, I agree. IF God didn't know the future and didn't manipulate people, prophesy can be wrong and open theism is correct.


    But you've yet to demonstrate that God knowing the future without manipulating people is impossible under A-theory. You would have to show that there couldn't possibly be a single way for God's knowledge about the future and man's free will to exist simultaneously under any sort of version of A-theory, which is quite the tall order.
    I already did. You just said, "nuh-uh" and provided no evidence or even theory how it could be otherwise.

    If you want to claim there is free will and God knows the future in A-theory, then it is your burden to prove, not mine.

  4. #264
    Troll Magnet Sparko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    54,806
    Amen (Given)
    5614
    Amen (Received)
    23938
    Quote Originally Posted by JimL View Post
    I didn't say I believed in A-theory,
    Um, you have been arguing for it the entire thread.






    and a whole new universe isn't created in A-theory. In A-theory, like an inflating balloon, the existing universe simply expands and its entropy increases. It's just that in A-theory time would not be a dimension in which all events in all of the time dimension would be coextant and real. In B-theory the balloon isn't expanding, it's fully inflated and time is a static dimension in which all things within it are real and have always been real. It doesn't change, even though we experience change as though it were A-theory. According to B-theory the future "you" is experiencing what you would consider to be your future coextantly with your experience of the present. In other words the future "you" is just as real as the present "you." Not to mention the past "you."
    nope. you just don't see it.

    T1=Present - Universe exists!
    T0=Past - doesn't exist
    T2=Future - doesn't exist

    Therefore when T1 becomes T2 and the present, then everything exists at T2! An entire universe was created out of nothing, and the old one ceased to exist!

  5. #265
    Troll Magnet Sparko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    54,806
    Amen (Given)
    5614
    Amen (Received)
    23938
    Quote Originally Posted by seer View Post
    Sparko, you seem to be all over the map. Let me ask you, I had a friend who died recently - is he still alive and conscious somewhere in the universe? And I'm not speaking of heaven or the afterlife.
    Was he alive a year ago? Then he was alive and conscious in 2019. This is a true statement in both A and B theory.

  6. #266
    tWebber seer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    New England
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    27,876
    Amen (Given)
    2197
    Amen (Received)
    5772
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    Was he alive a year ago? Then he was alive and conscious in 2019. This is a true statement in both A and B theory.
    Is he still alive and conscious in 2019 somewhere in the universe?
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

  7. #267
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    18,142
    Amen (Given)
    2273
    Amen (Received)
    1763
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    Um, you have been arguing for it the entire thread.
    Not true, I've simply been explaining what B-theory, if true, would mean. And what it means is the block universe in which actual change is not real because all of time and therefore all events in all of time would be real. If you think I've been advocating for one theory or the other then you have been miscomprehending my posts.







    nope. you just don't see it.

    T1=Present - Universe exists!
    T0=Past - doesn't exist
    T2=Future - doesn't exist

    Therefore when T1 becomes T2 and the present, then everything exists at T2! An entire universe was created out of nothing, and the old one ceased to exist!
    As you can see the post you are responding to is not advocating for A-theory, it's just my interpretation of B-theory. As to the above, an entire universe isn't being created out of nothing at each moment in time, the universe fully exists whether it's A or B-theory, it's just that in A theory the universe is expanding whereas in B-theory it isn't, it just appears to be expanding from our perspective.

  8. #268
    tWebber Chrawnus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Finland
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    5,341
    Amen (Given)
    5419
    Amen (Received)
    3955
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    No, it showed that there was no aether.
    It showed that certain conceptions about the aether were wrong. It did not disprove the existence of an aether in general. It did not disprove the kind of aether described in the Lorentz Ether Theory. The reason (or at least a reason) SR is preferred over LET is not because the aether has been disproved, but because SR is able to make the same mathematical predictions that LET does, but without the need for the kind of, as of yet, undetectable aether that LET postulates.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    I already did. You just said, "nuh-uh" and provided no evidence or even theory how it could be otherwise.

    If you want to claim there is free will and God knows the future in A-theory, then it is your burden to prove, not mine.
    I must have missed where you made the actual argument. What I've seen you do is make the claim that God's foreknowledge and human free will cannot co-exist under A-theory, but if you made an argument supporting that claim I must have overlooked it.


    And I disagree with you that it's my burden to prove. You're the one who made the claim that God's foreknowledge and free will cannot co-exist in A-theory, I'm simply saying that until I see a valid argument supporting that claim I'm under no obligation accept that claim. I'm not telling you to start believing foreknowledge and free-will can co-exist in A-theory, I'm saying nothing that you've written in this thread (that I've read so far) demonstrates the falsity of that belief.

  9. #269
    Troll Magnet Sparko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    54,806
    Amen (Given)
    5614
    Amen (Received)
    23938
    Quote Originally Posted by seer View Post
    Is he still alive and conscious in 2019 somewhere in the universe?
    from our current point in time we say "was" -- "is" indicated he is somehow alive in 2020. He isn't. Neither in A or B time.

    If you could build a time machine and go back to 2019, you would see your friend alive and conscious.

  10. #270
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    18,142
    Amen (Given)
    2273
    Amen (Received)
    1763
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrawnus View Post
    It showed that certain conceptions about the aether were wrong. It did not disprove the existence of an aether in general. It did not disprove the kind of aether described in the Lorentz Ether Theory. The reason (or at least a reason) SR is preferred over LET is not because the aether has been disproved, but because SR is able to make the same mathematical predictions that LET does, but without the need for the kind of, as of yet, undetectable aether that LET postulates.



    I must have missed where you made the actual argument. What I've seen you do is make the claim that God's foreknowledge and human free will cannot co-exist under A-theory, but if you made an argument supporting that claim I must have overlooked it.


    And I disagree with you that it's my burden to prove. You're the one who made the claim that God's foreknowledge and free will cannot co-exist in A-theory, I'm simply saying that until I see a valid argument supporting that claim I'm under no obligation accept that claim. I'm not telling you to start believing foreknowledge and free-will can co-exist in A-theory, I'm saying nothing that you've written in this thread (that I've read so far) demonstrates the falsity of that belief.
    I wouldn't say that a god could not have forknowledge under A-theory, but if he did it would negate free will. If he knew the future then it would have to be that he engineered it to unwind that way. Like an elaborate set up of dominos, they will fall in the future the way they were set up to, determined beforehand to, fall. Free will couldn't exist within either theory of time if god has foreknowledge

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •