Page 29 of 39 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast

Thread: B Theory Of Time...

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    Yes. Like I said, if you had a time machine, you could go to 2019 and it would be just as "real" as 2020 is to you right now.
    So 2019 still exists in the universe?
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim B. View Post
    It doesn't disappear but it is a "Now." Why is there a "Now"? What in physics supports it?
    Since every moment is "now" to you at that moment, I would say it is just the way your brain works and perceives the universe.

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrawnus View Post
    My point was simply that God not knowing the future under A-theory, wouldn't mean that He was not omniscient. The actual extent of God's knowledge in the actual world is a different thing from theoretical considerations of what would count as actual omniscient in different versions of reality. I'm also not sure if knowing the future is impossible under all versions of A-theory, or just some of them.
    Augustine and Boethius both believed that God existed 'outside' of time, and that time itself unfolded freely and so conformed to A-Theory. God would therefore be eternally co-present with every event happening within the A-Series. So in a way, you could say that God is in a B-relation to time, but in another way, you could say that God transcends both A- and B-relations altogether. But the point is that God does not foreknow but eternally knows every event as it freely unfolds, and so his eternal knowledge is compatible with free will. That's one possible way of reconciling A-Theory, God's knowledge of what we 'will' do, and our free will.

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    Since every moment is "now" to you at that moment, I would say it is just the way your brain works and perceives the universe.
    But why is that the way my brain works? Is it just an anomaly? It's essential to my identity, my "being towards death" etc. If it's just a trick or anomaly, then so am I.

tWebber
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Augustine and Boethius both believed that God existed 'outside' of time, and that time itself unfolded freely and so conformed to A-Theory. God would therefore be eternally co-present with every event happening within the A-Series. So in a way, you could say that God is in a B-relation to time, but in another way, you could say that God transcends both A- and B-relations altogether. But the point is that God does not foreknow but eternally knows every event as it freely unfolds, and so his eternal knowledge is compatible with free will. That's one possible way of reconciling A-Theory, God's knowledge of what we 'will' do, and our free will.
    But that would be different from forknowledge. Knowing what we've done when we've done it is not the same thing as knowing what we will do prior to our doing it.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    But why is that the way my brain works? Is it just an anomaly? It's essential to my identity, my "being towards death" etc. If it's just a trick or anomaly, then so am I.
    It would seem like if each moment of my existence is equally real, and I am experiencing a "now" in each moment in which I exist, then there doesn't just exist a single me, but a separate me for each moment of time in which I exist. It doesn't seem to me like the "me" who is typing down this paragraph is the same "me" who is going to click on the "post quick reply button". In fact, it seems to me like the "me" who moved his finger to press down a single key to type a single letter on the screen is different from the "me" who released the key after I was done typing that letter.
    Last edited by Chrawnus; 06-02-2020 at 02:55 PM.

Faith
    Catholic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    The A-theory of time and God's omniscience are not mutually exclusive.

tWebber
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leonhard View Post
    The A-theory of time and God's omniscience are not mutually exclusive.
    Please explain, Leonard. And please keep in mind that by omniscience we are talking about knowledge of the future.

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrawnus View Post
    It would seem like if each moment of my existence is equally real, and I am experiencing a "now" in each moment in which I exist, then there doesn't just exist a single me, but a separate me for each moment of time in which I exist. It doesn't seem to me like the "me" who is typing down this paragraph is the same "me" who is going to click on the "post quick reply button". In fact, it seems to me like the "me" who moved his finger to press down a single key to type a single letter on the screen is different from the "me" who released the key after I was done typing that letter.
    I don't see it necessarily as each moment being equally real, or as identifying my self with each "Now." I'm an ongoing project with a past that remains largely the same but is changing to some extent and that's directed toward a future. But there is some core "me" there that remains the same, as in 'same consciousness'. Otherwise, how could personal pronouns meaningfully refer?

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by JimL View Post
    Please explain, Leonard. And please keep in mind that by omniscience we are talking about knowledge of the future.
    But in A-Theory, the future doesn't exist, so God could be ignorant of the future and still be omniscient.