Announcement

Collapse

Deeper Waters Forum Guidelines

Notice – The ministries featured in this section of TheologyWeb are guests of this site and in some cases not bargaining for the rough and tumble world of debate forums, though sometimes they are. Additionally, this area is frequented and highlighted for guests who also very often are not acclimated to debate fora. As such, the rules of conduct here will be more strict than in the general forum. This will be something within the discretion of the Moderators and the Ministry Representative, but we simply ask that you conduct yourselves in a manner considerate of the fact that these ministries are our invited guests. You can always feel free to start a related thread in general forum without such extra restrictions. Thank you.

Deeper Waters is founded on the belief that the Christian community has long been in the shallow end of Christianity while there are treasures of the deep waiting to be discovered. Too many in the shallow end are not prepared when they go out beyond those waters and are quickly devoured by sharks. We wish to aid Christians to equip them to navigate the deeper waters of the ocean of truth and come up with treasure in the end.

We also wish to give special aid to those often neglected, that is, the disabled community. This is especially so since our founders are both on the autism spectrum and have a special desire to reach those on that spectrum. While they are a special emphasis, we seek to help others with any disability realize that God can use them and that they are as the Psalmist says, fearfully and wonderfully made.

General TheologyWeb forum rules: here.
See more
See less

Farewell, Ravi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Farewell, Ravi

I already miss you, my friend.

Link

------

How do you pay tribute to a hero? Let’s plunge into the Deeper Waters and find out.

Really, there’s not much I think I can say after my recent post on Ravi. I woke up this morning next to my wife and before long, she saw the news on Facebook as she checks before I do in the morning. Ravi had passed away. I texted my father-in-law and told him I wanted to go to the funeral if they went, messaged another friend of mine, and called my Mom to tell her.

There was a quote that I read years ago that said that when you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life in such a way that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice. Ravi lived that life. If I went through my Facebook feed, I am sure that I would find several people sharing the post from RZIM about the passing of Ravi.

My first attraction to Ravi came in the book The Case For Faith. I started listening to his podcast after that and the way he spoke and presented himself just enthralled me. His unique perspective coming from his east teamed with that accent gave him a great charm. I read all of his books that I could.

The last time I saw him was he was speaking at a church about his book Jesus Among Secular Gods. I never would have thought that that was the last time that I would ever see him. If I go to the funeral, I will see a Ravi that I never wanted to see and many of us who saw a picture of him with the cancer affecting him so much saw someone who was practically unrecognizable.

As RZIM and the family prepares for a service, keep in mind the mourning is not for Ravi. He is with Jesus now. It is for us. It is for the family. It is for everyone left behind. We are mourning.

Let us remember then what Ravi would want us to remember. As 1 Thessalonians says, we mourn, but not like those who have no hope. It’s not as a pastor I heard once say at a funeral though. We don’t rejoice because we will see our loved ones again in Heaven. We rejoice because they will be resurrected again one day and then we will see them.

Ravi’s body that goes down will be the same one that comes up again, but it will also be different. It will be a cancer free body. It will be a body that will be full of life and vitality. It will be a body that is empowered by the Holy Spirit.

C.S. Lewis once said that if we saw one of our fellow men in their resurrected state, we would be tempted to bow down and worship them. It’s amazing to think if he’s right that Ravi will look totally different like that the next time we see him. Not only that, but we will be seeing him along with Jesus, and Ravi would definitely want us to be looking at Jesus.

Come to think of it, that’s what Ravi would want us to do now. He would not want to be remembered for him. He would want to be remembered for what he did for Jesus.

What would he most like us to do in response? To serve Jesus all the more. If you want to honor Ravi, then go and live your life for Christ and Ravi will be pleased, and again, not only will he be pleased but so will Jesus, which will mean the most to Ravi.

Farewell, my friend. Until we meet again.

In Christ,
    Nick Peters

He was an incredible communicator, and a man who had genuine and compassionate love for others.
    ...>>> Witty remark or snarky quote of another poster goes here <<<...

Comment

I'm deeply saddened by his passing. He was a man who truly loved Jesus with all his heart, soul and mind. Rest in peace Ravi.

Comment

He was a brilliant man. I am reading his books.
        sigpic

Comment

May You Rest in Peace

Comment

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Comment

Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                  sigpic
                  I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment