Announcement

Collapse

Pro-Life Activism 301 Guidelines

This area is for pro-life activists to discuss issues related to abortion. It is NOT a debate area, and it is not OK for pro-choice activists to post here.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Norma Roe didn't really change her mind

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Norma Roe didn't really change her mind

It pains me to bring this up, but in the spirit of honesty, I need to because it's been a major pro-life talking point.

It turns out that "Norma Roe" admitted shortly before her death that she never really changed her mind, but was paid by Operation Rescue to denounce abortion. So it looks like this argument needs to be avoided from now on.

Mild language in article.

https://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...u-doc-abortion
    Last edited by KingsGambit; 05-19-2020, 02:33 PM.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Well that is certainly something I didn't see coming.
    sigpic

Comment

Wow. Admitting to be a liar because she was paid good money...
      That's what
      - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
      - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
      - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Operation Rescue? Weren't they the ones who informed the shooter of Tiller of his personal address and where he went to Church?

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
              Operation Rescue? Weren't they the ones who informed the shooter of Tiller of his personal address and where he went to Church?
              It's not 100% clear what their involvement was. Scott Roeder has claimed from prison that Operation Rescue has been less than truthful in their claiming to have nothing to do with him. Either way, I believe pro lifers should steer away from groups willing to utilize dishonesty, most notably also including Project Veritas.
              "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

"(I)ncluding Operation Rescue." I'd like to know what other Pro-Life liars were involved.
                Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

The article referenced Rob Schenck and his change of view. I'd never heard of him -- or if I did hear, had no recollection at all of his name. I found this NYT article wherein he details his complete abandonment of the Pro-Life cause. Certainly it's a tear-jerker, but to me, nothing in it remotely justifies leaving the Pro-Life -- or if one prefers, the Anti-Abortion -- cause.
                  Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

A major disappointment to read.
                    "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Honestly, in my humblest opinion, that was never a very good talking point in the first place. It certainly did a good deal to bolster people who are already Pro-Life in their thinking but I don't know of any Pro-Choice advocates who were swayed by it. Whether or not a person has changed her mind on a particular issue tells us very little about the issue. Good reasoning will remain good and poor reasoning will remain poor regardless of whether someone switches to one or the other. It does far less good to focus on who has come around to Pro-Life positions than to focus on why someone ought to be Pro-Life.
                      "[Mathematics] is the revealer of every genuine truth, for it knows every hidden secret, and bears the key to every subtlety of letters; whoever, then, has the effrontery to pursue physics while neglecting mathematics should know from the start he will never make his entry through the portals of wisdom."
                      --Thomas Bradwardine, De Continuo (c. 1325)

Comment

This is interesting.

https://www.liveaction.org/news/norm...cord-straight/

Filmmaker Nick Sweeney is selling his version of McCorvey’s life as “the real story,” though he spent what amounts to brief time with her in 2016, a few months before her death in February 2017. She had been ill for many years and was battling COPD when she allegedly told Sweeney that she sometimes felt used by the pro-life movement to advance its cause. “I was the big fish,” she allegedly says in the film, along with a purported “deathbed confession” that her work for the pro-life movement was “all an act.”

But while filmmaker Sweeney reportedly spent hours with McCorvey near the end of her life, her longtime friends in the pro-life movement knew her very personally for decades – up to the very end – and spoke to Live Action News about the Norma they knew.

For over a decade, Norma McCorvey (a.k.a. “Jane Roe” of the landmark 1973 Supreme Court case Roe v. Wade that legalized abortion in the United States) worked to convince the Supreme Court to take her new case, McCorvey v. Hill—a case she hoped would undo the decision that bore her name. As the new documentary, “AKA Jane Roe,” nears its May 22nd debut on FX and Hulu, the decades-long fight to undo legalized abortion is coming under fire, with filmmakers attempting to rewrite history.

Filmmaker Nick Sweeney is selling his version of McCorvey’s life as “the real story,” though he spent what amounts to brief time with her in 2016, a few months before her death in February 2017. She had been ill for many years and was battling COPD when she allegedly told Sweeney that she sometimes felt used by the pro-life movement to advance its cause. “I was the big fish,” she allegedly says in the film, along with a purported “deathbed confession” that her work for the pro-life movement was “all an act.”

But while filmmaker Sweeney reportedly spent hours with McCorvey near the end of her life, her longtime friends in the pro-life movement knew her very personally for decades – up to the very end – and spoke to Live Action News about the Norma they knew.

Was Norma “used”?

Allan Parker, the Justice Foundation attorney who represented McCorvey (and Sandra Cano, the “Doe” of Doe v. Bolton) in her legal battle to undo Roe v. Wade, told Live Action News that it “was true” that McCorvey was “a big fish” in the pro-life movement. “Not a fish that [the pro-life movement] caught, but Norma… was a big deal because she was the Roe of Roe v. Wade,” he explained.

McCorvey went public as “Jane Roe” long before she became pro-life, and received a large amount of attention in pro-abortion circles. She wrote the book, “I am Roe” in the 1980s, and in 1987, she revealed to the world that in Roe, she had lied about being raped. In 1994, she revealed to The New York Times that her pro-abortion attorneys refused to tell her where to get an illegal abortion because they “needed [her] to be pregnant for [the Roe v. Wade] case.” She added, “[Pro-abortion attorney] Sarah [Weddington] saw these cuts on my wrists, my swollen eyes from crying, the miserable person sitting across from her, and she knew she had a patsy. She knew I wouldn’t go outside of the realm of her and Linda. I was too scared. It was one of the most hideous times of my life.” McCorvey has long stated that she was used by the pro-abortion movement and her attorneys to further their cause. And she has been described by many as having been troubled throughout her life.

In 1995, McCorvey began working in a Dallas abortion facility. Later that year, she met pro-lifers and left the abortion industry with their help.

McCorvey’s close friend of 22 years, Karen Garnett, told Live Action News that the two shared a “sisterhood” and throughout their friendship and pro-life activism together, McCorvey never let on to her that she felt used or exploited by the pro-life movement. It wasn’t until McCorvey was dying that Garnett learned from biographer Joshua Prager that McCorvey told him of her feelings. Garnett was shocked by this, and as she sat at McCorvey’s bedside with McCorvey’s daughter and granddaughter, she apologized to McCorvey for any hurt that may have been done to her by the pro-life movement. As far as Garnett is concerned, anything McCorvey felt hurt by was done without intent.

Regardless of the claims being made about her after her death, McCorvey was clearly determined to end abortion. From 2000 to 2012, Allan Parker worked with McCorvey at her request, pursuing every legal path they could, even filing a motion to request that the Supreme Court overturn her own case. Parker said, “She was deeply disappointed when the Supreme Court would not take her case again.”

That’s because it wasn’t money, said Parker, that had motivated McCorvey to leave the abortion industry behind and become pro-life. It was what she saw while she was working at A Choice for Women in Dallas, Texas, that led to her change of heart.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

She seems to have lied about everything her whole life and dragged the country into her mess both pro and antiabortion. Not exactly the person I would want to reference for any movement at all. She seems to have been a person of very low character.

Comment

Is this confession of hers on tape so it can be verified?

And if it is, do we have proof other than her that it is the truth?

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X