Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Churches reclosing due to Coronavirus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DivineOb View Post
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/relig...t-coronavirus/

Churches in states at the forefront of reopening efforts are closing their doors for a second time.

Catoosa Baptist Tabernacle in Ringgold, Ga., less than 20 miles away from Chattanooga, Tenn., and Holy Ghost Catholic Church in Houston have indefinitely suspended services after members and leaders tested positive for the coronavirus shortly after reopening.

The news of the canceled services comes as a new report from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention stated that large gatherings pose risk for coronavirus transmission and called on faith-based organizations to work with local health officials about implementing guidelines for modified activities.

The report looked at a rural Arkansas church, where a pastor and his wife attended church events in early March. At least 35 of 92 attendees tested positive for the coronavirus, and three people died. An additional 26 cases and a death occurred in the community from contact with the church cases, the report confirmed.

Sounds like these closings were voluntary. We tried to protect you guys form yourselves but you needed your fix.
    I am curious about the sources that WaPo relied on, the actual facts, and whether they are fashioning the report to an agenda. There was a post from about a month ago on tweb which talked about all the covid-19 deaths in a certain Pentacostal organization. It turns out that most of the leaders (12-20?) who died were in their 70s and above and were in different states. It was hardly ascribable to the spread of a virus in a tight community that was violating the unsociable distancing rules.

Where is the report the article refers to? I cannot find it yet. There are many gullible people who read the lying mainstream media as if the media always tells the truth.

Also, if a thousand churches have opened up, the observations on a few exceptions could be improperly assumed to be representative of what is happening in the other churches. If people are not going to church, shouldn't everyone avoid going to the supermarket? How dangerous and evil those marketgoers are.
    Last edited by mikewhitney; 05-20-2020, 05:04 PM.

Comment

For the record, I took it the way mossrose did. You said "you" like you were talking to people here, instead of "they" which would have been less directly accusatory.
      Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

Comment

Only to those with guilty consciences or victim mentalities. I've repented my anti-theist ways.

Regardless, it seems like you'd rather talk about me than about the topic of this thread. I wonder why...
        There is no guilty conscience on my part. Our church is still live-streaming.

And if you are going to condemn the believers on this site for the behaviour you are referencing in the op, then, yes, I am going to talk about YOUR words instead of the topic of the thread.

In YOUR haste to condemn all of us here, you have negated anything you might have wanted to convey about SOME believers, probably none of whom are members of this site.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

It's only a 'fix' to those who insist on putting themselves and others into harms way to get what they *want*. If you can't hold off until its safe then, yes, you are sick. That it was unsafe is evidenced by the article contents.

Sorry if that is offensive.
          I got your point, I even agree with it to the extent that when meeting together knowingly and unnecessarily puts others at risk, something is amiss. But nevertheless, it's unnecessarily disrespectful.

Carry on ...
          My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Sounds like these closings were voluntary. We tried to protect you guys form yourselves but you needed your fix.
            The pandemic isn't over.

The need to encourage healthy habits isn't over.

Some of these folks are likely to die from Covid-19.

We should act like we know that.

Comment

Originally posted by Juvenal View Post
              The pandemic isn't over.

The need to encourage healthy habits isn't over.
              Lose weight, quit smoking, eat healthy, exercise. Easy peasy. You might get sick if you catch it, but you likely won't die.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
                Lose weight, quit smoking, eat healthy, exercise. Easy peasy.
                And maintain social distancing, reduce contacts, reduce the reproduction rate, R.

You might get sick if you catch it, but you likely won't die.
                And if you don't get sick, you won't pass it on to those more likely to succumb.

Like my brother, who's suffered from asthma and allergies his entire life ... or the marine's kid, who was born with situs inversus, and has been receiving respiratory therapy for 16 years now, since he was born. Feel free to share your medical advice with him, personally. His dad was in Beirut in 1983, suffers from PTSD, and is always heavily armed, but you likely won't die.

Comment

And maintain social distancing, reduce contacts, reduce the reproduction rate, R.

And if you don't get sick, you won't pass it on to those more likely to succumb.

Like my brother, who's suffered from asthma and allergies his entire life ... or the marine's kid, who was born with situs inversus, and has been receiving respiratory therapy for 16 years now, since he was born. Feel free to share your medical advice with him, personally. His dad was in Beirut in 1983, suffers from PTSD, and is always heavily armed, but you likely won't die.
                  Edited by a Moderator the potential effect of them having the virus on others is never factored in. The only concern that is expressed is what might happen to them if they get it. There is little expression on this board of our responsibility to look after others, to not put others in harms way. I'm not sure how they think they have reconciled that with the Christian faith and message, but as far as I know, there is no legitimate way to do that.

Moderated By: DesertBerean

Edited pending further discussion. You were warned about bringing Trump up in non-Trump threads

***If you wish to take issue with this notice DO NOT do so in this thread.***
                  Contact the forum moderator or an administrator in Private Message or email instead. If you feel you must publicly complain or whine, please take it to the Padded Room unless told otherwise.

Last edited by DesertBerean; 05-21-2020, 12:00 PM.
                  My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                    Edited by a Moderator the potential effect of them having the virus on others is never factored in. The only concern that is expressed is what might happen to them if they get it. There is little expression on this board of our responsibility to look after others, to not put others in harms way. I'm not sure how they think they have reconciled that with the Christian faith and message, but as far as I know, there is no legitimate way to do that.
                    Lol....what? How many discussions on this board has been about all the precautions many of us have been implementing? Talk about a broad brush.

Firstly, coming together as a group to worship is a protected right of any religion here in the United States.

Secondly, in some places (looking at you, New York!), at least ONE religion (Islam) were being allowed to gather in worship while others (Jews and Christians) were not. (Edited: I'm finding out this isn't true anymore). In a LOT of places, including California, stores and eateries are allowed to stay open while churches can't, no matter what precautions we take just like the stores!

Thirdly, churches DO cooperate with the shutdowns and reopening guidelines! My own denomination has a good history of cooperation with authorities starting with the Spanish flu. (We believe in divine protection and healing but we are not idiots. We cooperate with current knowledge of health and science!). But we Christians have a Biblical directive to gather. Some 500 pastors have sent notice to the Governor that on 31 May they will reopen with social distancing and restricting the number of people etc. May 31 is the date because it's Pentecost, the official anniversary of the birth of church through the Holy Spirit.

I see a lot of people speaking against our efforts out of fear.
                    Last edited by DesertBerean; 05-21-2020, 11:59 AM.
                    Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Here's one church in Mississippi that is dealing with fear caused by confusion because their Governor said churches were essential but their city disagreed. The church is suing the city over this mess and some people decided destruction and intimidation was the answer.

https://www.wlbt.com/2020/05/20/miss...at-home-order/
                      Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                        Edited by a Moderator His name was not mentioned in the op or anywhere else in this thread until you, oxmixmudd, but of course, everything in the whole world that is not up to your standards is his fault.

You switched awfully fast from telling DO not to be rude to basically agreeing with him. Nice.
                        Last edited by DesertBerean; 05-21-2020, 12:20 PM.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Churches in states at the forefront of reopening efforts are closing their doors for a second time.

Catoosa Baptist Tabernacle in Ringgold, Ga., less than 20 miles away from Chattanooga, Tenn., and Holy Ghost Catholic Church in Houston have indefinitely suspended services after members and leaders tested positive for the coronavirus shortly after reopening.

The news of the canceled services comes as a new report from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention stated that large gatherings pose risk for coronavirus transmission and called on faith-based organizations to work with local health officials about implementing guidelines for modified activities.

The report looked at a rural Arkansas church, where a pastor and his wife attended church events in early March. At least 35 of 92 attendees tested positive for the coronavirus, and three people died. An additional 26 cases and a death occurred in the community from contact with the church cases, the report confirmed.

2 whole churches? With 3 and 7 cases? Wow... Are you suggesting they caught it from attending services?
                          That's what
                          - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                          - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                          - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Edited by a Moderator

He simply can not help himself. His hatred is consuming.
                            Last edited by DesertBerean; 05-21-2020, 12:21 PM.
                            That's what
                            - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                            - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                            - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Would they not have been susceptible to influenza viruses? What precautions were they taking to avoid those viruses before the great panic of 2020? I would presume the same precautions could have been followed, no?

Comment

Tell that to the crowds at walmart.

Comment