Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Churches reclosing due to Coronavirus

tWebber
    Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    It was YOUR point. I just reacted. Republicans are not usually the kind to burn down churches.

So if they catch the guys who did do this domestic terrorism, who do you think the culprit will be? Democrat or Republican?
    Probably some form of left-wing anarchist.

Or a Republican trying for some insurance scam.

Faith
    slave & child of Christ
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by oxmixmudd View Post
    I though my reply was clear as well. Perhaps you can't see that asking for credit from someone who has been given none is not exactly a reasonable request. What credit do I have to give?

Sure, oxmixmudd. Rave on.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

tWebber
    Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    https://www.thedailybeast.com/over-1...a=twitter_page

Over 1,200 pastors across California have vowed to reopen their churches for in-person services on May 31, a sweeping act of protest against Gov. Gavin Newsom’s restrictions on religious gatherings amid the coronavirus pandemic. Robert H. Tyler, a lawyer for a church that has sued the state over the shelter-in-place order, told Newsom that the pastors signed a “Declaration of Essentiality” in an effort to defy the state order and distinguish their churches as essential services. “This letter was not sent for the purposes of asking for permission,” Tyler wrote in a letter to the governor. “We believe you are attempting to act in the best interests of the state, but the restrictions have gone too far and for too long.”

Here's a question I have--most of the things which happen in church could still take place while observing social distancing as long as the number of congregants was reduced. However, taking communion seems to be a tougher number to crack. Is it worthwhile to forgo communion for the time being? It seems distasteful to me for the government to regulate particular aspects of religious worship in that way.

Anyway, I assume the churches will open and no mass arrests will happen. Hopefully they're mostly located in red counties far away from me.

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by mossrose View Post
    Sure, oxmixmudd. Rave on.
    I think you just made my point
    He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me."

"So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets"

Faith
    slave & child of Christ
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I think you just made my point
    What point?

The one where you totally agreed, tacitly, with DO, and became rude and disrespectful to your fellow believers on this site? Even when I pointed out that I do not think that churches should go against what we are directed to do, and that I even would not visit my granddaughter on her birthday because I refuse to NOT BE CAREFUL?

What exactly was your point, if not to totally ignore what I said and start attacking your fellow believers here?

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by mossrose View Post
    What point?

The one where you totally agreed, tacitly, with DO, and became rude and disrespectful to your fellow believers on this site? Even when I pointed out that I do not think that churches should go against what we are directed to do, and that I even would not visit my granddaughter on her birthday because I refuse to NOT BE CAREFUL?

What exactly was your point, if not to totally ignore what I said and start attacking your fellow believers here?
    I dont think you have clue what I've said, or what I was getting at. I was going to ask you to re-read what I said, but it's been erased. You want me to give you credit when if you had given me credit in the first place you'd have never seen my words the way you did.

That is my point.
    He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me."

"So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets"

Faith
    slave & child of Christ
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I dont think you have clue what I've said, or what I was getting at. I was going to ask you to re-read what I said, but it's been erased. You want me to give you credit when if you had given me credit in the first place you'd have never seen my words the way you did.

That is my point.
    You are not making sense. The post of yours that I quoted where I made the statement about you giving us some credit was not erased and I read it quite clearly.

Please try to do some proper reading of your own.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by DivineOb View Post

Over 1,200 pastors across California have vowed to reopen their churches for in-person services on May 31, a sweeping act of protest against Gov. Gavin Newsom’s restrictions on religious gatherings amid the coronavirus pandemic. Robert H. Tyler, a lawyer for a church that has sued the state over the shelter-in-place order, told Newsom that the pastors signed a “Declaration of Essentiality” in an effort to defy the state order and distinguish their churches as essential services. “This letter was not sent for the purposes of asking for permission,” Tyler wrote in a letter to the governor. “We believe you are attempting to act in the best interests of the state, but the restrictions have gone too far and for too long.”

Here's a question I have--most of the things which happen in church could still take place while observing social distancing as long as the number of congregants was reduced. However, taking communion seems to be a tougher number to crack. Is it worthwhile to forgo communion for the time being? It seems distasteful to me for the government to regulate particular aspects of religious worship in that way.

Anyway, I assume the churches will open and no mass arrests will happen. Hopefully they're mostly located in red counties far away from me.
    We had no problem whatsoever doing communion -- those in the congregation "in house" had their own bread and cup, and those at home were encouraged to come by the church and pick up their own bread and cup, or substitute as necessary from what they had at home.
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

9. Amen Juvenal amen'd this post.
    43rd Mojave Summer DesertBerean's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by DivineOb View Post

We have used prefilled cups and wafers for some years due to many people having weakened immunity, etc. When we had to stay at home, it was simply a matter of them coming by to pick up their cups before Communion Sunday. It was harder to find the supplies after the quarantine began. I think these cups will still be in demand for the next several months.

11. Amen Cow Poke amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by DesertBerean View Post
    We have used prefilled cups and wafers for some years due to many people having weakened immunity, etc. When we had to stay at home, it was simply a matter of them coming by to pick up their cups before Communion Sunday. It was harder to find the supplies after the quarantine began. I think these cups will still be in demand for the next several months.
    My mother flew in to visit us two weeks before everything started shutting down and when she visited our church, she refused to take Communion. We asked her why later, and she said it was because somebody in front of us in line had taken the cup and directly drank from it, and she didn't feel comfortable with it in light of everything going on at the time (Covid was very much a known threat then). I think her caution was reasonable. That was selfish of the person who did that (I don't know who it was, I didn't see it happen).
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill