Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Churches reclosing due to Coronavirus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Churches reclosing due to Coronavirus

https://www.washingtonpost.com/relig...t-coronavirus/

Churches in states at the forefront of reopening efforts are closing their doors for a second time.

Catoosa Baptist Tabernacle in Ringgold, Ga., less than 20 miles away from Chattanooga, Tenn., and Holy Ghost Catholic Church in Houston have indefinitely suspended services after members and leaders tested positive for the coronavirus shortly after reopening.

The news of the canceled services comes as a new report from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention stated that large gatherings pose risk for coronavirus transmission and called on faith-based organizations to work with local health officials about implementing guidelines for modified activities.

The report looked at a rural Arkansas church, where a pastor and his wife attended church events in early March. At least 35 of 92 attendees tested positive for the coronavirus, and three people died. An additional 26 cases and a death occurred in the community from contact with the church cases, the report confirmed.

Sounds like these closings were voluntary. We tried to protect you guys form yourselves but you needed your fix.

Originally posted by DivineOb View Post

Churches in states at the forefront of reopening efforts are closing their doors for a second time.

Catoosa Baptist Tabernacle in Ringgold, Ga., less than 20 miles away from Chattanooga, Tenn., and Holy Ghost Catholic Church in Houston have indefinitely suspended services after members and leaders tested positive for the coronavirus shortly after reopening.

The news of the canceled services comes as a new report from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention stated that large gatherings pose risk for coronavirus transmission and called on faith-based organizations to work with local health officials about implementing guidelines for modified activities.

The report looked at a rural Arkansas church, where a pastor and his wife attended church events in early March. At least 35 of 92 attendees tested positive for the coronavirus, and three people died. An additional 26 cases and a death occurred in the community from contact with the church cases, the report confirmed.

Sounds like these closings were voluntary. We tried to protect you guys form yourselves but you needed your fix.
    "We"??

How kind of you to lend your aid during this difficult time!

Good grief. Not every church is reopening yet. Not every believer is going against the laws of the land to congregate together. Why not try a smaller brush next time?

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
      "We"??
      Yes "we" -- the non-RWNJ faction who actually listens to scientists.

How kind of you to lend your aid during this difficult time!
      You're welcome :).

Good grief. Not every church is reopening yet. Not every believer is going against the laws of the land to congregate together. Why not try a smaller brush next time?

The brush I'm using is covering the churches who are re-opening before it is safe to do so, legal or not. Which brush would you prefer I use :)?

Comment

Most churches I know about are doing online services. It is quite disrespectful to mock the religious faith of others. Would you say that to Muslims that attend prayer in their mosque? Or Jewish people celebrating the high holy days? Or Hindu's in their temples? Maybe you would, but it is rude nonetheless.
        My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Yes "we" -- the non-RWNJ faction who actually listens to scientists.

You're welcome :).

The brush I'm using is covering the churches who are re-opening before it is safe to do so, legal or not. Which brush would you prefer I use :)?
          I think the issue is referring to a church service or prayer meeting as a 'fix'. A derogatory reference putting religious faith on par with drug addiction.
          My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
            Most churches I know about are doing online services. It is quite disrespectful to mock the religious faith of others. Would you say that to Muslims that attend prayer in their mosque? Or Jewish people celebrating the high holy days? Or Hindu's in their temples? Maybe you would, but it is rude nonetheless.
            If this is mockery (which it isn't) I'll mock anyone who does something equally foolish.

Do you really think I didn't view those going to bars in Wisconsin 1 minute after reopening the same?

Comment

If this is mockery (which it isn't) I'll mock anyone who does something equally foolish.

Do you really think I didn't view those going to bars in Wisconsin 1 minute after reopening the same?
              Maybe you did. But you called going to a religious service 'a fix', which was an open insult to those having religuous faith.

Now pointing out going into a close space and engaging in activities that are incredibly likely to spread the disease (e.g. singing) is foolish is another matter entirely. And it is quite possible to make that point without degrading the desire to meet together in worship by comparing it to a drug addict needing their next 'fix'.

Comment

Maybe you did. But you called going to a religious service 'a fix', which was an open insult to those having religuous faith.

Now pointing out going into a close space and engaging in activities that are incredibly likely to spread the disease (e.g. singing) is foolish is another matter entirely. And it is quite possible to make that point without degrading the desire to meet together in worship by comparing it to a drug addict needing their next 'fix'.
                It's only a 'fix' to those who insist on putting themselves and others into harms way to get what they *want*. If you can't hold off until its safe then, yes, you are sick. That it was unsafe is evidenced by the article contents.

Sorry if that is offensive.

Comment

I think the issue is referring to a church service or prayer meeting as a 'fix'. A derogatory reference putting religious faith on par with drug addiction.
                  It's not just that. It's the whole "we tried to help you" bit that is also ridiculous and so very self-righteous.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

It's only a 'fix' to those who insist on putting themselves and others into harms way to get what they *want*. If you can't hold off until its safe then, yes, you are sick. That it was unsafe is evidenced by the article contents.

Sorry if that is offensive.
                    Then condemn the ones who did it, not the majority of us who have been very careful to follow the guidelines! Again, you've broad-brushed us all in your bigoted self-righteousness!

Comment

Then condemn the ones who did it, not the majority of us who have been very careful to follow the guidelines! Again, you've broad-brushed us all in your bigoted self-righteousness!
                      Quote me, specifically, where I did what you just claimed.

Comment

Quote me, specifically, where I did what you just claimed.
                        We tried to protect you guys form yourselves but you needed your fix.
                        Clear enough for you?

Comment

Clear enough for you?
                          No, not clear to me. No one on this board attends those churches, right? Everyone on this board is being responsible, right? So how could I be talking about you folks specifically?

If you feel like I'm talking about responsible churchgoers you must have a guilty conscience or a persecution complex.

Comment

No, not clear to me. No one on this board attends those churches, right? Everyone on this board is being responsible, right? So how could I be talking about you folks specifically?

If you feel like I'm talking about responsible churchgoers you must have a guilty conscience or a persecution complex.
                            YOUR usage of those particular pronouns in this setting makes it seem you are accusing every believer here of behaving heinously. Stop trying to weasel your way out of what you said.

Comment

YOUR usage of those particular pronouns in this setting makes it seem you are accusing every believer here of behaving heinously. Stop trying to weasel your way out of what you said.
                              Only to those with guilty consciences or victim mentalities. I've repented my anti-theist ways.

Regardless, it seems like you'd rather talk about me than about the topic of this thread. I wonder why...

Comment