Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 88

Thread: Churches reclosing due to Coronavirus

  1. #1
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Faith
    Atheist
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,357
    Amen (Given)
    119
    Amen (Received)
    100

    Churches reclosing due to Coronavirus

    https://www.washingtonpost.com/relig...t-coronavirus/


    Churches in states at the forefront of reopening efforts are closing their doors for a second time.

    Catoosa Baptist Tabernacle in Ringgold, Ga., less than 20 miles away from Chattanooga, Tenn., and Holy Ghost Catholic Church in Houston have indefinitely suspended services after members and leaders tested positive for the coronavirus shortly after reopening.

    The news of the canceled services comes as a new report from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention stated that large gatherings pose risk for coronavirus transmission and called on faith-based organizations to work with local health officials about implementing guidelines for modified activities.

    The report looked at a rural Arkansas church, where a pastor and his wife attended church events in early March. At least 35 of 92 attendees tested positive for the coronavirus, and three people died. An additional 26 cases and a death occurred in the community from contact with the church cases, the report confirmed.


    Sounds like these closings were voluntary. We tried to protect you guys form yourselves but you needed your fix.

  2. #2
    Oops....... mossrose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    slave & child of Christ
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    22,526
    Amen (Given)
    17021
    Amen (Received)
    10422
    Quote Originally Posted by DivineOb View Post
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/relig...t-coronavirus/


    Churches in states at the forefront of reopening efforts are closing their doors for a second time.

    Catoosa Baptist Tabernacle in Ringgold, Ga., less than 20 miles away from Chattanooga, Tenn., and Holy Ghost Catholic Church in Houston have indefinitely suspended services after members and leaders tested positive for the coronavirus shortly after reopening.

    The news of the canceled services comes as a new report from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention stated that large gatherings pose risk for coronavirus transmission and called on faith-based organizations to work with local health officials about implementing guidelines for modified activities.

    The report looked at a rural Arkansas church, where a pastor and his wife attended church events in early March. At least 35 of 92 attendees tested positive for the coronavirus, and three people died. An additional 26 cases and a death occurred in the community from contact with the church cases, the report confirmed.


    Sounds like these closings were voluntary. We tried to protect you guys form yourselves but you needed your fix.
    "We"??

    How kind of you to lend your aid during this difficult time!

    Good grief. Not every church is reopening yet. Not every believer is going against the laws of the land to congregate together. Why not try a smaller brush next time?



    Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

  3. Amen Mountain Man amen'd this post.
  4. #3
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Faith
    Atheist
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,357
    Amen (Given)
    119
    Amen (Received)
    100
    Quote Originally Posted by mossrose View Post
    "We"??
    Yes "we" -- the non-RWNJ faction who actually listens to scientists.

    How kind of you to lend your aid during this difficult time!
    You're welcome :).

    Good grief. Not every church is reopening yet. Not every believer is going against the laws of the land to congregate together. Why not try a smaller brush next time?

    The brush I'm using is covering the churches who are re-opening before it is safe to do so, legal or not. Which brush would you prefer I use :)?

  5. #4
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Maryland
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    8,432
    Amen (Given)
    692
    Amen (Received)
    1996
    Quote Originally Posted by DivineOb View Post
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/relig...t-coronavirus/


    Churches in states at the forefront of reopening efforts are closing their doors for a second time.

    Catoosa Baptist Tabernacle in Ringgold, Ga., less than 20 miles away from Chattanooga, Tenn., and Holy Ghost Catholic Church in Houston have indefinitely suspended services after members and leaders tested positive for the coronavirus shortly after reopening.

    The news of the canceled services comes as a new report from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention stated that large gatherings pose risk for coronavirus transmission and called on faith-based organizations to work with local health officials about implementing guidelines for modified activities.

    The report looked at a rural Arkansas church, where a pastor and his wife attended church events in early March. At least 35 of 92 attendees tested positive for the coronavirus, and three people died. An additional 26 cases and a death occurred in the community from contact with the church cases, the report confirmed.


    Sounds like these closings were voluntary. We tried to protect you guys form yourselves but you needed your fix.
    Most churches I know about are doing online services. It is quite disrespectful to mock the religious faith of others. Would you say that to Muslims that attend prayer in their mosque? Or Jewish people celebrating the high holy days? Or Hindu's in their temples? Maybe you would, but it is rude nonetheless.
    He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me."

    "So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets"

  6. Amen DesertBerean, Cow Poke amen'd this post.
  7. #5
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Maryland
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    8,432
    Amen (Given)
    692
    Amen (Received)
    1996
    Quote Originally Posted by DivineOb View Post
    Yes "we" -- the non-RWNJ faction who actually listens to scientists.



    You're welcome :).



    The brush I'm using is covering the churches who are re-opening before it is safe to do so, legal or not. Which brush would you prefer I use :)?
    I think the issue is referring to a church service or prayer meeting as a 'fix'. A derogatory reference putting religious faith on par with drug addiction.
    He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me."

    "So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets"

  8. Amen Cow Poke amen'd this post.
  9. #6
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Faith
    Atheist
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,357
    Amen (Given)
    119
    Amen (Received)
    100
    Quote Originally Posted by oxmixmudd View Post
    Most churches I know about are doing online services. It is quite disrespectful to mock the religious faith of others. Would you say that to Muslims that attend prayer in their mosque? Or Jewish people celebrating the high holy days? Or Hindu's in their temples? Maybe you would, but it is rude nonetheless.
    If this is mockery (which it isn't) I'll mock anyone who does something equally foolish.

    Do you really think I didn't view those going to bars in Wisconsin 1 minute after reopening the same?

  10. #7
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Maryland
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    8,432
    Amen (Given)
    692
    Amen (Received)
    1996
    Quote Originally Posted by DivineOb View Post
    If this is mockery (which it isn't) I'll mock anyone who does something equally foolish.

    Do you really think I didn't view those going to bars in Wisconsin 1 minute after reopening the same?
    Maybe you did. But you called going to a religious service 'a fix', which was an open insult to those having religuous faith.

    Now pointing out going into a close space and engaging in activities that are incredibly likely to spread the disease (e.g. singing) is foolish is another matter entirely. And it is quite possible to make that point without degrading the desire to meet together in worship by comparing it to a drug addict needing their next 'fix'.
    He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me."

    "So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets"

  11. #8
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Faith
    Atheist
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,357
    Amen (Given)
    119
    Amen (Received)
    100
    Quote Originally Posted by oxmixmudd View Post
    Maybe you did. But you called going to a religious service 'a fix', which was an open insult to those having religuous faith.

    Now pointing out going into a close space and engaging in activities that are incredibly likely to spread the disease (e.g. singing) is foolish is another matter entirely. And it is quite possible to make that point without degrading the desire to meet together in worship by comparing it to a drug addict needing their next 'fix'.
    It's only a 'fix' to those who insist on putting themselves and others into harms way to get what they *want*. If you can't hold off until its safe then, yes, you are sick. That it was unsafe is evidenced by the article contents.

    Sorry if that is offensive.

  12. #9
    Oops....... mossrose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    slave & child of Christ
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    22,526
    Amen (Given)
    17021
    Amen (Received)
    10422
    Quote Originally Posted by oxmixmudd View Post
    I think the issue is referring to a church service or prayer meeting as a 'fix'. A derogatory reference putting religious faith on par with drug addiction.
    It's not just that. It's the whole "we tried to help you" bit that is also ridiculous and so very self-righteous.


    Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

  13. Amen Cow Poke amen'd this post.
  14. #10
    Oops....... mossrose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    slave & child of Christ
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    22,526
    Amen (Given)
    17021
    Amen (Received)
    10422
    Quote Originally Posted by DivineOb View Post
    It's only a 'fix' to those who insist on putting themselves and others into harms way to get what they *want*. If you can't hold off until its safe then, yes, you are sick. That it was unsafe is evidenced by the article contents.

    Sorry if that is offensive.
    Then condemn the ones who did it, not the majority of us who have been very careful to follow the guidelines! Again, you've broad-brushed us all in your bigoted self-righteousness!


    Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •