Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Churches reclosing due to Coronavirus

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Juvenal View Post
    Freedom of religion doesn't prevent authorities from providing blood transfusions to the children of Jehovah's witnesses against their parents' will. There's increased scrutiny. It requires a court order. But when abridging a freedom is necessary to guard life, the courts have been permissive.

I'd hope it wouldn't come to that. I think the best bet is to encourage the "forsake not" religious tradents to get creative. The science is incredibly simple here. Spread is exponential, and directly proportional to contacts, so reducing contacts is the entire game. If the base is greater than one, we're heading for over a million deaths in the US. If it's less than one, those people won't become infected. They won't die. It's all about that base, and the base is all about those contacts.

My biggest concern is that those who are most at risk in these congregations are also those most motivated to gather together.
    This is why I went out of my way to specify "if it went on indefinitely". I don't think we're nearly at that point now. In some states, like California, the indication has been given that it may be an awful long time. When movie shoots are allowed to continue in that state, and the governor is openly discussing letting pro sports continue in the state, yet no end in sight for church lockdowns, even for churches such as Orthodox churches where contact is limited or nonexistent, religious freedom very much comes into play.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

2. Amen RumTumTugger amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    We had no problem whatsoever doing communion -- those in the congregation "in house" had their own bread and cup, and those at home were encouraged to come by the church and pick up their own bread and cup, or substitute as necessary from what they had at home.
    There was a story from around here about a local pastor using a squirt gun to shoot communion wine into the mouths of the parishioners. I figure he coulda used a super soaker and they would've never had to leave their seats in the pews.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Juvenal View Post
    Freedom of religion doesn't prevent authorities from providing blood transfusions to the children of Jehovah's witnesses against their parents' will. There's increased scrutiny. It requires a court order. But when abridging a freedom is necessary to guard life, the courts have been permissive.
    Surely you recognize the difference between an urgent immediate need where the person will almost certainly die if no action is taken and a precautionary measure.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingsGambit View Post
    My mother flew in to visit us two weeks before everything started shutting down and when she visited our church, she refused to take Communion. We asked her why later, and she said it was because somebody in front of us in line had taken the cup and directly drank from it, and she didn't feel comfortable with it in light of everything going on at the time (Covid was very much a known threat then). I think her caution was reasonable. That was selfish of the person who did that (I don't know who it was, I didn't see it happen).
    What's normal? When you say "the cup", is there only one? How would communion normally be done in your church?
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    What's normal? When you say "the cup", is there only one? How would communion normally be done in your church?
    We do it by intinction; you take a piece of the bread and dip it in the cup.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Ah, gotcha!
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    The last service I attended that used that method before the lock down had the ministers with masks and gloves dip the bread into the wine and then hand it to the parishoner. About as safe possible, providing the parishoner does not breath on or touch the gloved hand giving them the bread. It keeps multiple hands off the bread pile, and as much as possible prevents spread from the ministers.

It's just not a ceremony designed for covid-19.

Our home church just does communion during the streaming broadcast with the parishoners getting their own bread/drink. This works fine for churches that do not require special blessing on the wine/host by the priest.
    He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me."

"So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets"

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I might add, just as a point of technicality, I guess, that our church never "closed".... while we observed the guidance given by our State, we never missed a Sunday Morning or Wednesday Night.

10. Amen DesertBerean amen'd this post.