Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

The problem of 'fake science' in layman literature.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The problem of 'fake science' in layman literature.

There are hundreds if not thousands of science editors in magazines and news papers, some good, some OK, some bad. Some often use misleading and sensationalist titles and language in their articles even though they usually cite or refer to the scientific literature. One clue is the title is in the form of a provocative question. Other hints are words and phrases like it: "force scientists to rethink theories . . .", "New discovery upends evolution,"

An interesting odd articles in several of the questionable sources:

Source: https://www.express.co.uk/news/science/1284659/NASA-news-parallel-universe-particles-neutrino-Antarctica-ANITA-study

NASA news: High-energy particles in Antarctica could prove parallel universes
    SCIENTISTS studying a "fountain of high-energy particles" using NASA instruments in Antarctica may have discovered evidence of a universe parallel to our own.
    By SEBASTIAN KETTLEY

© Copyright Original Source

It is odd, because I could not find any NASA news release that made this clam. Yes there is a ANITA study in Antarctica to study basic particles like Neutrinos.

I did find this:

Even some of this language is odd, but it does not make the unusual claims the less questionable articles make.

My guess it has something to do with the magnetic field of the earth. I would like some in put on anyone that may have some knowledge or sources to contribute.

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
    There are hundreds if not thousands of science editors in magazines and news papers, some good, some OK, some bad. Some often use misleading and sensationalist titles and language in their articles even though they usually cite or refer to the scientific literature. One clue is the title is in the form of a provocative question. Other hints are words and phrases like it: "force scientists to rethink theories . . .", "New discovery upends evolution,"

An interesting odd articles in several of the questionable sources:

Source: https://www.express.co.uk/news/science/1284659/NASA-news-parallel-universe-particles-neutrino-Antarctica-ANITA-study

NASA news: High-energy particles in Antarctica could prove parallel universes
    SCIENTISTS studying a "fountain of high-energy particles" using NASA instruments in Antarctica may have discovered evidence of a universe parallel to our own.
    By SEBASTIAN KETTLEY

It is odd, because I could not find any NASA news release that made this clam. Yes there is a ANITA study in Antarctica to study basic particles like Neutrinos.

I did find this:

Even some of this language is odd, but it does not make the unusual claims the less questionable articles make.

My guess it has something to do with the magnetic field of the earth. I would like some in put on anyone that may have some knowledge or sources to contribute.
    This problem has been pointed out a few times. As I noted previously
    Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    International Archives of Medicine for 600 Euros. It was picked up by multiple news outlets often getting front page coverage.

The entire affair can be read about here: I Fooled Millions Into Thinking Chocolate Helps Weight Loss. Here's How as well as here: How the "chocolate diet" hoax fooled millions.

The host of the aforementioned TV show, Adam Conover, had his own fraudulent study "The Possible Irritating Effects of Nutritional Facts" published in a faux journal called Advances In Nutrition And Food Technology to confirm that this does indeed happen. It was pretty obvious that the publisher never read it for it is a blatant spoof.

And have posted this a couple times

One thing that I've noticed is how the purveyors of woo like YECs, anti-vaxxers and the like will almost always quote these sensationalist news article to support their beliefs rather than the published research itself since the latter is much harder to twist into something that corroborates those beliefs
    Last edited by rogue06; 05-21-2020, 03:54 AM.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      This problem has been pointed out a few times. As I noted previously

And have posted this a couple times

[ATTACH=CONFIG]44840[/ATTACH]

One thing that I've noticed is how the purveyors of woo like YECs, anti-vaxxers and the like will almost always quote these sensationalist news article to support their beliefs rather than the published research itself since the latter is much harder to twist into something that corroborates those beliefs
      These are legitimate concerns particularly in extreme religious views like YECs publishing fake science. This thread is a bit different in that it deals with layman science writers who ostly support legitimate science, but misquote, misrepresent, and slant science to get reader response. Some of this bad layman science articles are than misrepresented by those promoting a religious agenda that makes their audience believe they are scientific sources.

Comment

Even some reputable, maybe reputable, have too much time on their hands and spend it looking for insects in fuzzy photos of Mars. The science equivalent of looking Jesus in Cumulus clouds. Interesting pictures if you check out the article. Unfortunately many do not see the fine print that Ohio University retracted the article. Though once the cat was out of the bag the memes of MArtian insect spread like a California brush fire for a while.

Source: https://scitechdaily.com/photos-show-evidence-of-life-on-mars-insect-and-reptile-like-fossils-living-creatures/

Photos Show Evidence of Life on Mars: Insect- and Reptile-Like Fossils & Living Creatures

Comment