Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

(Lighter thread): Who should re-open first, churches or AA meetings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    Trump just named places of worship as being essential so they will now be allowed to open
    To be honest, I've never been a fan of federal trying to interfere with States' rights. I try to be consistent about that regardless of the benefit to me.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      ETA - Trump just announced that he is designating Churches and places of worship as essential services and will override the governors if needed.
      It always makes me nervous, like I just posted, when federal tries to override states.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by DivineOb View Post
        I agree it is spiritual as well as medical and I'm glad to hear that religion helped your father. I'd fully support re-opening churches where they fill that spiritual need for addicts. But that's not why Trump is deeming them 'essential services' or why many on here want churches re-opened.
        DivineOb addicts are not the only ones with spiritual needs. People going through a pandemic have as large a spiritual need as the addict, Trump understands this unlike you.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          To be honest, I've never been a fan of federal trying to interfere with States' rights. I try to be consistent about that regardless of the benefit to me.
          I"m like you CP. But those same governors and states are calling Planned Parenthood and liquor stores essential, Trump is just telling the Governors they cannot go against the 1st amendment by treating places of worship differently. I think this decision is according to the Constitution.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            It always makes me nervous, like I just posted, when federal tries to override states.
            But in this case, I think it bumps right up against the first amendment, which is a federal thang.

Comment

But in this case, I think it bumps right up against the first amendment, which is a federal thang.
              If that's the citation, then, yeah. It's not so much "presidential power overrides governor" as it is putting it into a proper constitutional framework. The "prohibition clause" --- "or prohibit the free exercise thereof".

Comment

Originally posted by RumTumTugger View Post
                I"m like you CP. But those same governors and states are calling Planned Parenthood and liquor stores essential, Trump is just telling the Governors they cannot go against the 1st amendment by treating places of worship differently. I think this decision is according to the Constitution.
                From that perspective, I just don't like Trump framing it as "my power is greater than theirs" (though, in many venues, it is).

Comment

no? Why do they want the churches re-opened?
                  Why does Trump want them re-opened? Red meat for his base. Riling up the RWNJs.

He's getting hit with bad poll after bad poll these days and is desperate.

Comment

DivineOb addicts are not the only ones with spiritual needs. People going through a pandemic have as large a spiritual need as the addict, Trump understands this unlike you.
                    I find it amusing that in another thread I was roundly criticized for comparing (certain) believers to addicts. Guess you agree with me :).

Comment

I"m like you CP.
                      You poor dear - I will make this a matter of prayer.

Comment

Originally posted by DivineOb View Post
                        Why does Trump want them re-opened? Red meat for his base. Riling up the RWNJs.

He's getting hit with bad poll after bad poll these days and is desperate.
                        No, why do many on here want churches re-opened?

Comment

No, as far as opening up again, they are not calling planned parenthood and liquer stores essential, each state is determining the opening procedure guidelines for themselves. It no longer has to do with what's essential. which included businesse's such as supermarkets, gas stations and banks etc. When it comes to re-opening it's left up to the states to decide what they want to do, or how they want to do it, and the states can't enforce churches to re-open any more than our wannabe King can..

Comment

Because people feel they have a spiritual need and that is how they satisfy that need.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
                              ...and the states can't enforce churches to re-open...
                              Just out of curiosity, where are you getting that anybody is trying to force (or "enforce") churches to reopen?

Comment

Trump can't force churches to re-open, Sparko, nor can he tell Governors how to run the states. DO is right, it's red meat for his evangelical base, Trump couldn't care less, otherwise.

Comment