Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

(Lighter thread): Who should re-open first, churches or AA meetings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (Lighter thread): Who should re-open first, churches or AA meetings?

Let's keep this thread (relatively) lighter than the others.

Curious which of these two facilities you consider more warranted to open first (if you can only pick one).

For me, as someone who has struggled with alcohol in the past, obviously I'd say AA meetings since I understand how vital they are to those who rely on them.
    Places of worship
    40.00%
    AA meetings
    60.00%
    No opinion
    0.00%

Interesting, because in my area, many AA and other recovery programs are actually held in Churches.

AND.... why does it have to be either / or?
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

You could have asked whether bars should be opened or churches.

I saw a youtube video of a bar reopening in Ireland. It was a comedy skit where the guys were cautiously approaching the bar as if it were still prohibited.

Someone made a short version of it. The long version ... just say they should have only had the short version.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        Interesting, because in my area, many AA and other recovery programs are actually held in Churches.
        That's probably true everywhere. At least that's my experience as well.

AND.... why does it have to be either / or?
        Because I'm trying to understand why the believers on here are so insistent on the need to re-open churches ASAP. I'm trying to understand if they actually place them on the same level as AA (I should have stipulated that we accept AA as an effective substance abuse program for the purposes of this thread) given that the lockdown is presenting something of a worst case scenario for those struggling with addiction.

No wrong answers here.

Comment

Originally posted by DivineOb View Post
          Because I'm trying to understand why the believers on here are so insistent on the need to re-open churches ASAP. I'm trying to understand if they actually place them on the same level as AA (I should have stipulated that we accept AA as an effective substance abuse program for the purposes of this thread) given that the lockdown is presenting something of a worst case scenario for those struggling with addiction.

No wrong answers here.
          If you change ASAP to ASASAP (As soon as safe and practical), that's me! I haven't been in a big hurry, but following my State's guidelines, and even exceeding them, we opened as soon as "safe and practical".

Meanwhile, our support services (recovery) were handled by phone, skype, zoom...
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

That's probably true everywhere. At least that's my experience as well.

No wrong answers here.
            I thought we had gone through this in the other thread.

Aside from a few, who you named, who has been advocating that churches open immediately? Broad brush, once again.

That's probably not as light as you'd like, so, to lighten it up a bit, I'm going to get a haircut Saturday morning. Because, here, stores are allowed to reopen and so is everything else as long as distancing and cleaning procedures are put into place.

Including churches, as long as less than 50 people are present and social distancing can be practiced.

And do you know what the very first things to open were here last week? Golf courses.

Which is ludicrous to me, but so was keeping liquor and cannabis stores being allowed to remain open when everything else was shut down.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
              I thought we had gone through this in the other thread.

Aside from a few, who you named, who has been advocating that churches open immediately? Broad brush, once again.
              There's not too many regular posters on here. Those four make up a large fraction of the believers on here.

Which is ludicrous to me, but so was keeping liquor and cannabis stores being allowed to remain open when everything else was shut down.
              Initially I felt that way about liquor stores as well. Then I was reminded that severe alcohol withdrawal literally will kill you :).

Comment

The choices in your poll are rather restrictive.

Comment

There's not too many regular posters on here. Those four make up a large fraction of the believers on here.

Initially I felt that way about liquor stores as well. Then I was reminded that severe alcohol withdrawal literally will kill you :).
                  Right, we don't want to overwhelm ERs with alcoholics going withdrawal at a time like this.
                  "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Let's keep this thread (relatively) lighter than the others.

Curious which of these two facilities you consider more warranted to open first (if you can only pick one).

For me, as someone who has struggled with alcohol in the past, obviously I'd say AA meetings since I understand how vital they are to those who rely on them.
                    I think there should have been a third option of neither, until it is safe to do so.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
                      I think there should have been a third option of neither, until it is safe to do so.
                      Safe or reasonably safe? It will never be completely safe.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

When people have been isolated for months now... stress filled months of worry, they long for fellowship and spiritual renewal. That is why they want to go to church. It is just as important for our spirits as AA is to alcoholics, or a hospital is for your body.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
                          Yeah, which is why I said...

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                          If you change ASAP to ASASAP (As soon as safe and practical)...

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                            When people have been isolated for months now... stress filled months of worry, they long for fellowship and spiritual renewal. That is why they want to go to church. It is just as important for our spirits as AA is to alcoholics, or a hospital is for your body.
                            I certainly have found that worship at home tends to be empty. Somehow worship needs to be done in a group.

Everything else like teaching, prayer, Bible reading, etc. is going fine.
                            "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
                              I certainly have found that worship at home tends to be empty. Somehow worship needs to be done in a group.

Everything else like teaching, prayer, Bible reading, etc. is going fine.
                              The MAIN reason worship needs to be done in a group, IMOHBAO, is the way God designed the Church. We are all gifted by the Holy Spirit (as HE will) with spiritual gifts to benefit the body. When we are not "in church", we are not there to share the spiritual gift God has given us for the body.

Comment