View Poll Results: Who should re-open first, churches or AA meetings?

Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll
  • Places of worship

1 33.33%
  • AA meetings

2 66.67%
  • No opinion

0 0%
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: (Lighter thread): Who should re-open first, churches or AA meetings?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    When people have been isolated for months now... stress filled months of worry, they long for fellowship and spiritual renewal. That is why they want to go to church. It is just as important for our spirits as AA is to alcoholics, or a hospital is for your body.
    Trump just named places of worship as being essential so they will now be allowed to open

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

tWebber
    Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    When people have been isolated for months now... stress filled months of worry, they long for fellowship and spiritual renewal. That is why they want to go to church. It is just as important for our spirits as AA is to alcoholics, or a hospital is for your body.
    Some people need AA to avoid slipping back into active addiction, something which could take herculean efforts to overcome again. Does that seem like a more serious problem than spiritual needs?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by DivineOb View Post
    Some people need AA to avoid slipping back into active addiction, something which could take herculean efforts to overcome again. Does that seem like a more serious problem than spiritual needs?
    No, because people who are isolated can get so depressed they commit suicide. And the AA people can still keep in contact with their sponsors if they need.

BTW, the White House and the CDC just released guidelines for re-opening churches in a safe manner.

ETA - Trump just announced that he is designating Churches and places of worship as essential services and will override the governors if needed.
    Last edited by Sparko; 05-22-2020 at 11:34 AM.

4. Amen RumTumTugger amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I just don't get the need for either/or --- a Church opening up "to full occupancy" is not what most of us have done, and it's in consideration of the ability to comply with social distancing - same thing with an AA meeting. We've dome both.
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

6. Amen RumTumTugger amen'd this post.
    tWebber
    Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    I just don't get the need for either/or --- a Church opening up "to full occupancy" is not what most of us have done, and it's in consideration of the ability to comply with social distancing - same thing with an AA meeting. We've dome both.
    Two men enter, one man leaves!

The reason I'm making this an either / or is because I want to understand how believers balance spiritual needs against medical needs. What I've seen seems to place them on the same level. About what I expected but nonetheless confusing to me.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

The reason I'm making this an either / or is because I want to understand how believers balance spiritual needs against medical needs. What I've seen seems to place them on the same level. About what I expected but nonetheless confusing to me.
    Well, naturally there are extremes --- I'm on the way to church, and get in a car wreck. My passenger is badly injured, so I go to the hospital instead of the church.
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

I would say alcoholism is a spiritual disease as much as a medical one. There usually are reasons people drink or take drugs. They want to forget, or numb some pain, or escape their life. My dad was an alcoholic, and when he started going to church and found Jesus, he stopped drinking. His spiritual void was filled.

10. Amen Cow Poke amen'd this post.
    tWebber
    Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I would say alcoholism is a spiritual disease as much as a medical one. There usually are reasons people drink or take drugs. They want to forget, or numb some pain, or escape their life. My dad was an alcoholic, and when he started going to church and found Jesus, he stopped drinking. His spiritual void was filled.
    I agree it is spiritual as well as medical and I'm glad to hear that religion helped your father. I'd fully support re-opening churches where they fill that spiritual need for addicts. But that's not why Trump is deeming them 'essential services' or why many on here want churches re-opened.

tWebber
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post
    Trump just named places of worship as being essential so they will now be allowed to open
    Perhaps you can, though it's not likely, see in this demand of Trumps, his dictator chracter. "If there is a problem, the governors will have to call me, but calling me isn't going to do any good, they have to open the chrches or I will overule them." Or words to that effect. Trump can't order any such thing, if the Governors and church leaders decide not to open, Trump, though he apparently thinks he can, can't force them to open. It's not up to him, he's not the King.
    Last edited by JimL; 05-22-2020 at 12:35 PM.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I agree it is spiritual as well as medical and I'm glad to hear that religion helped your father. I'd fully support re-opening churches where they fill that spiritual need for addicts. But that's not why Trump is deeming them 'essential services' or why many on here want churches re-opened.
    no? Why do they want the churches re-opened?

14. Amen RumTumTugger amen'd this post.