View Poll Results: Who should re-open first, churches or AA meetings?

Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll
  • Places of worship

    1 33.33%
  • AA meetings

    2 66.67%
  • No opinion

    0 0%
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 115

Thread: (Lighter thread): Who should re-open first, churches or AA meetings?

  1. #51
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    SoCal!!!
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,644
    Amen (Given)
    371
    Amen (Received)
    943
    Quote Originally Posted by JimL View Post
    Trump can't force churches to re-open, Sparko, nor can he tell Governors how to run the states. DO is right, it's red meat for his evangelical base, Trump couldn't care less, otherwise.
    The states under the 14th Amendment are subject to the limitation of powers under the Bill of Rights.

    You are so funny. I think people are catching on to your humor. You endorse the Democrat governors who favor shutting down churches. This appeals to leftist revolutionists in a political sense. Then you call Trump's act to restore freedom as merely an unprincipled Trump appealing to the Christians -- when there are also Jews and Buddhists and other religious adherents who also may like to meet again.

    Have you applied for the Babylon Bee yet?

  2. Amen RumTumTugger amen'd this post.
  3. #52
    See, the Thing is... Cow Poke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Republic of Texas
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    61,763
    Amen (Given)
    13402
    Amen (Received)
    28132
    Quote Originally Posted by JimL View Post
    I don't need to get that from anywhere, if a church wants to stay closed, that's nobody's business but the churches.
    So, you just pulled it out of your butt? Cause I don't see anybody trying to force churches to open. It's all about not forcing them to remain closed.
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

  4. Amen RumTumTugger amen'd this post.
  5. #53
    Department Head
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    4,409
    Amen (Given)
    21250
    Amen (Received)
    1609
    Quote Originally Posted by JimL View Post
    I don't need to get that from anywhere, if a church wants to stay closed, that's nobody's business but the churches.
    no one is forcing or calling for anyone to be forced to open up JimL. We just want the Governors to stop infringing on our rights to worship. Just admit the Governors are wrong in not allowing places of worship to open and move on.

    Force
    verb
    2.
    make (someone) do something against their will.
    "she was forced into early retirement"

    Allow
    verb
    1.
    give (someone) permission to do something.
    "the dissident was allowed to leave the country"
    Last edited by RumTumTugger; 05-22-2020 at 02:28 PM.

  6. Amen Cow Poke amen'd this post.
  7. #54
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Faith
    Atheist
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,249
    Amen (Given)
    107
    Amen (Received)
    92
    Quote Originally Posted by RumTumTugger View Post
    no one is forcing or calling for anyone to be forced to open up JimL. We just want the Governors to stop infringing on our rights to worship. Just admit the Governors are wrong in not allowing places of worship to open and move on.

    Force
    verb
    2.
    make (someone) do something against their will.
    "she was forced into early retirement"

    Allow
    verb
    1.
    give (someone) permission to do something.
    "the dissident was allowed to leave the country"
    Isn't it a general prohibition against meeting in groups? How is that infringing on the right to worship in particular?

  8. #55
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    17,076
    Amen (Given)
    2120
    Amen (Received)
    1674
    Quote Originally Posted by RumTumTugger View Post
    no one is forcing or calling for anyone to be forced to open up JimL. We just want the Governors to stop infringing on our rights to worship. Just admit the Governors are wrong in not allowing places of worship to open and move on.

    Force
    verb
    2.
    make (someone) do something against their will.
    "she was forced into early retirement"

    Allow
    verb
    1.
    give (someone) permission to do something.
    "the dissident was allowed to leave the country"
    So, do you believe that the government should not have been able to take any actions at all, that thousands or perhaps millions of people should be allowed to die because of the negligence and thoughtlessness of people who believe as you do, that your freedom to do as you will takes precedence over the people that you may kill as a result.?

    The President doesn't have the authority to overide Governors.
    Last edited by JimL; 05-22-2020 at 03:13 PM.

  9. #56
    See, the Thing is... Cow Poke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Republic of Texas
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    61,763
    Amen (Given)
    13402
    Amen (Received)
    28132
    Quote Originally Posted by DivineOb View Post
    Isn't it a general prohibition against meeting in groups? How is that infringing on the right to worship in particular?
    Because there's actually a constitutional protection for religious groups, but not for baseball games or movie theaters.
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

  10. Amen RumTumTugger amen'd this post.
  11. #57
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Faith
    Atheist
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,249
    Amen (Given)
    107
    Amen (Received)
    92
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Because there's actually a constitutional protection for religious groups, but not for baseball games or movie theaters.
    The first amendment provides five rights


    Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

  12. #58
    See, the Thing is... Cow Poke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Republic of Texas
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    61,763
    Amen (Given)
    13402
    Amen (Received)
    28132
    Quote Originally Posted by DivineOb View Post
    The first amendment provides five rights


    Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.
    So why bold the part you want, and ignore the part I want? Let's try my version....


    Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.


    Everybody likes to throw "the establishment clause" around, but ignore the "prohibition clause".
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

  13. #59
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    17,076
    Amen (Given)
    2120
    Amen (Received)
    1674
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    So why bold the part you want, and ignore the part I want? Let's try my version....


    Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.


    Everybody likes to throw "the establishment clause" around, but ignore the "prohibition clause".
    These are neutral bans, temporary bans on crowding, not the targeting of certain groups, churches etc while leaving other groups alone. Churches are not exempt from state regulations that apply across the board, they just can't be targeted. There is case law for this, you can find it if interested. I'm to lazy.

  14. #60
    See, the Thing is... Cow Poke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Republic of Texas
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    61,763
    Amen (Given)
    13402
    Amen (Received)
    28132
    Quote Originally Posted by JimL View Post
    These are neutral bans, temporary bans on crowding, not the targeting of certain groups, churches etc while leaving other groups alone.
    Right there in the first amendment, Jim -- "of prohibiting the free exercise thereof" -- no exceptions there at all.

    Churches are not exempt from state regulations that apply across the board, they just can't be targeted. There is case law for this, you can find it if interested. I'm to lazy.
    I think what you are missing is the fact that the things I mentioned are engaged in commerce, which most certainly can be taxed, limited, regulated... The free exercise of religion is not the same as commerce, which can be regulated.
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

  15. Amen RumTumTugger amen'd this post.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •