Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Spiritual Gifts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spiritual Gifts

Do you know what yours is?
    Do you believe every Christian has a spiritual gift?
    Do you believe these gifts are assigned by the Spirit, and not ours to "claim"?
    Do you allow your spiritual gift to be used to the benefit of the Body?
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

AND....
    do you think you can have more than one spiritual gift, and do you think your spiritual gift(s) can change over time?
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      I think I have more than one spiritual gift.

Yes.

Yes.

Not sure what you mean.

Comment

AND....
        do you think you can have more than one spiritual gift, and do you think your spiritual gift(s) can change over time?
        Yes I think I have more than one; I think more gifts can be added over time. I don't think you lose any, but any one can get better.

Comment

Originally posted by Christian3 View Post
          Yes I think I have more than one; I think more gifts can be added over time. I don't think you lose any, but any one can get better.
          Would you care to share what your spiritual gifts are?

Comment

Originally posted by Christian3 View Post
            Not sure what you mean.
            So, let's explore that...

Scripture Verse: Romans 12

3 For by the grace given to me I say to everyone among you not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think, but to think with sober judgment, each according to the measure of faith that God has assigned. 4 For as in one body we have many members, and the members do not all have the same function, 5 so we, though many, are one body in Christ, and individually members one of another. 6 Having gifts that differ according to the grace given to us, let us use them: if prophecy, in proportion to our faith; 7 if service, in our serving; the one who teaches, in his teaching; 8 the one who exhorts, in his exhortation; the one who contributes, in generosity; the one who leads, with zeal; the one who does acts of mercy, with cheerfulness.

© Copyright Original Source

And....

1 Corinthians 12:7 - "Now to each one the manifestation of the Spirit is given for the common good."
            Ephesians 4:12 - "to prepare God's people for works of service, so that the body of Christ may be built up"
            1 Peter 4:10 - "Each one should use whatever gift he has received to serve others..."

Comment

Yes, God's forgiveness through Jesus Christ.

See above.

Yes.

Not as much as I should.

Comment

AND....
                Yes, I do. I personally think I have the most boring spiritual gift, administration, and also teaching. I concur with Chrawnus that salvation is a gift but it seems to be on different level that what you are referring to as spiritual gifts. You definitely need salvation before you can properly employee the other gifts.

I don't think your gift can change over time. You might lose the ability to use it if you neglect to use it over a long enough period of time. I do think God might add a gift as you mature.
                "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
                  Yes, I do. I personally think I have the most boring spiritual gift, administration, and also teaching. I concur with Chrawnus that salvation is a gift but it seems to be on different level that what you are referring to as spiritual gifts. You definitely need salvation before you can properly employee the other gifts.

I don't think your gift can change over time. You might lose the ability to use it if you neglect to use it over a long enough period of time. I do think God might add a gift as you mature.
                  Yeah, and I appreciate what Chrawnus intended, so let's clarify the spiritual gifts of which I write...

Romans 12:6-8 [ESV] Having gifts that differ according to the grace given to us, let us use them: if prophecy, pin proportion to our faith; 7 if service, in our serving; the one who teaches, in his teaching; 8 the one who exhorts, in his exhortation; the one who contributes, in generosity; the one who leads, 6 with zeal; the one who does acts of mercy, with cheerfulness.

1 Corinthians 12:4-11 [ESV] 4 Now there are varieties of gifts, but the same Spirit; 5 and there are varieties of service, but the same Lord; 6 and there are varieties of activities, but it is the same God who empowers them all in everyone. 7 To each is given the manifestation of the Spirit for the common good. 8 For to one is given through the Spirit the utterance of wisdom, and to another the utterance of knowledge according to the same Spirit, 9 to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healing by the one Spirit, 10 to another the working of miracles, to another prophecy, to another the ability to distinguish between spirits, to another various kinds of tongues, to another the interpretation of tongues. 11 All these are empowered by one and the same Spirit, who apportions to each one individually has he wills.

1 Corinthians 12:28 [ESV] And God has appointed in the church first apostles, second prophets, third teachers, then miracles, then gifts of healing, helping, administrating, and various kinds of tongues.

And we could include Ephesians 4:12 [ESV] And he gave the apostles, the prophets, the evangelists, the shepherds and teachers...

Comment

Yeah, and I appreciate what Chrawnus intended, so let's clarify the spiritual gifts of which I write...

Romans 12:6-8 [ESV] Having gifts that differ according to the grace given to us, let us use them: if prophecy, pin proportion to our faith; 7 if service, in our serving; the one who teaches, in his teaching; 8 the one who exhorts, in his exhortation; the one who contributes, in generosity; the one who leads, 6 with zeal; the one who does acts of mercy, with cheerfulness.

1 Corinthians 12:4-11 [ESV] 4 Now there are varieties of gifts, but the same Spirit; 5 and there are varieties of service, but the same Lord; 6 and there are varieties of activities, but it is the same God who empowers them all in everyone. 7 To each is given the manifestation of the Spirit for the common good. 8 For to one is given through the Spirit the utterance of wisdom, and to another the utterance of knowledge according to the same Spirit, 9 to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healing by the one Spirit, 10 to another the working of miracles, to another prophecy, to another the ability to distinguish between spirits, to another various kinds of tongues, to another the interpretation of tongues. 11 All these are empowered by one and the same Spirit, who apportions to each one individually has he wills.

1 Corinthians 12:28 [ESV] And God has appointed in the church first apostles, second prophets, third teachers, then miracles, then gifts of healing, helping, administrating, and various kinds of tongues.

And we could include Ephesians 4:12 [ESV] And he gave the apostles, the prophets, the evangelists, the shepherds and teachers...
                    Well, if we read what you cited from Romans 12 then it becomes pretty immediately clear that even though every gift is supernatural in origin (since all gifts come from the Spirit), not all gifts express themselves supernaturally. The gifts of service, teaching, exhortation, contribution/generosity, leading and mercy for example, are all examples of gifts which are not visibly supernatural, which means that if the Spirit decides to give a person one of the above gifts, and not ones that have a supernatural expression, it might be harder for that person to make a judgement on what his exact spiritual gift(s) are.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
                      Well, if we read what you cited from Romans 12 then it becomes pretty immediately clear that even though every gift is supernatural in origin (since all gifts come from the Spirit), not all gifts express themselves supernaturally.
                      No argument whatsoever.

The gifts of service, teaching, exhortation, contribution/generosity, leading and mercy for example, are all examples of gifts which are not visibly supernatural, which means that if the Spirit decides to give a person one of the above gifts, and not ones that have a supernatural expression, it might be harder for that person to make a judgement on what his exact spiritual gift(s) are.
                      And I'd like to get into that...

Comment

And if one has been a Christian long enough, said gifts may look like personality traits. I do wonder if dome might have a knack for learning new languages or be really competent in the medical field and that actually be the gift of toungues or healing for our time and place. Not saying the Holy Spirit will or won't still provife miracles through believers, just that we have more resources than the early Christians did. A miracle does sound more effective though.
                        If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

And, there's not a black and white line, I don't think, between "gifts" and "talents" and "abilities" ---- I think the MAIN point is that these be used to edify the body, and not for self aggrandizement.

I DO think it's important for Christians to consider that God HAS given them at least one of the spiritual gifts mentioned, and they should seek to discover what that/those gift(s) is/are.

I think this is something that is sorely lacking in the Body.

Comment

And I'd like to get into that...
                            Well, one way that such a judgement could be made, is by fellow members in Christ, either individually, or larger groups within the congregation, maybe even the congregation as a whole. If someone seems to have a propensity for correctly understanding and interpreting scripture, and this propensity is taken notice of by the congregation, or someone in the congregation, it might not be a bad thing for these people to maybe encourage said person to take steps for this gift to grow, and to take on a role in the the congregation where this gift serves it's function best.

This is not to say that someone couldn't make the judgement themselves of where their gifts would best serve the body, but that sometimes a little outside perspective can be helpful in making a correct judgement.

Comment

Would you care to share what your spiritual gifts are?
                              A spiritual gift to me would be something we do for God and for the mission of Christ.

I always thought that God wanted to me be an apologist for Christianity and to take the Gospel to Muslims.

God did it by tricking me into actually reading the Bible in order to help me know Him and His Messiah, Jesus.

Perhaps I was chosen because I study hard and I never give up.

I also try to educate Christians who interpret the Scriptures wrong. I don't care if they like me or not for doing so. I can be gentle about it.
                              Last edited by Christian3; 05-22-2020, 11:48 AM.

Comment