Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Spiritual Gifts

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Good point.... there are times when, absent a person with the applicable gifting, I ask somebody to "fill in", but I'd much rather they volunteer. Amazingly, sometimes that "volunteer" discovers that they are far more suited for the task than they had ever imagined.

I think, in many cases, it's laziness on the Church --- to get to know new people and discover their gifts, talents and abilities. OR, in some cases, it's a "us 4 and no more" mentality, where they're afraid of giving up 'control' or something.
    I think it also may be they don't want to change or so something new.
    "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
    I think it also may be they don't want to change or so something new.
    That too! The seven deadliest words in a church.... "We've Never Done It Like That Before".
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    That too! The seven deadliest words in a church.... "We've Never Done It Like That Before".
    Once churches are reopen up here, I will be back in to seeking a church home. I have learned that I need to make sure there is a least a part of the church that is looking for the same things as me. As someone said to me awhile back, you can't expect those that don't have what you want to be able to give to you. I hoping to find a place where at least they are looking for the same things as me.
    "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Professor and Chaplain Littlejoe's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Do you know what yours is?
    Do you believe every Christian has a spiritual gift?
    Do you believe these gifts are assigned by the Spirit, and not ours to "claim"?
    Do you allow your spiritual gift to be used to the benefit of the Body?
    Yes, AOS and Teaching.

Yes, at least one.

Yes, but I believe it's assigned based on our personality and strengths.

Absolutely! I don't teach as much as I would like right now but I'm looking into ways to further that gift.
    "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

5. Amen Cow Poke amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlejoe View Post
    Yes, AOS and Teaching.

Yes, at least one.

Yes, but I believe it's assigned based on our personality and strengths.

Absolutely! I don't teach as much as I would like right now but I'm looking into ways to further that gift.
    A very MINOR clarification... that third one. I believe that's probably how it works MOST of the time, but I wouldn't limit God (and I'm sure you wouldn't either) from drawing on our weaknesses in spite of our personality. But, yeah, what you said just makes sense.
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
    Once churches are reopen up here, I will be back in to seeking a church home. I have learned that I need to make sure there is a least a part of the church that is looking for the same things as me. As someone said to me awhile back, you can't expect those that don't have what you want to be able to give to you. I hoping to find a place where at least they are looking for the same things as me.
    Interesting. Can you elaborate on what it is you want?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian3 View Post
    Really?

Have you ever tried to teach a Jew that Jesus is the Messiah using Scriptures only to have them say you are misinterpreting Scriptures?

Have you ever tried to teach a Muslim that Jesus claimed to be divine, only to have them say Jesus didn't say that; the writers put those words in Jesus mouth and you can't believe the New Testament because it is corrupted?
    CP is obviously talking about those who want to learn.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    CP is obviously talking about those who want to learn.
    Yeah, I had in mind the guy who stands up there and spews forth "knowledge" without even paying attention to whether or not anybody is "getting it".

My classic example is the day my wife and I were in a restaurant, and we heard a couple of dear sweet little old bluehairs talking about their Sunday School teacher. One of them gushed, "He is SO SMART and he knows SO MUCH about the Bible that most of the time we don't have any idea at all what he's talking about!"

He thinks he's "teaching", but he's just talking. Sometimes I hear that referred to as "talking to hear himself talk".

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Yeah, I had in mind the guy who stands up there and spews forth "knowledge" without even paying attention to whether or not anybody is "getting it".

My classic example is the day my wife and I were in a restaurant, and we heard a couple of dear sweet little old bluehairs talking about their Sunday School teacher. One of them gushed, "He is SO SMART and he knows SO MUCH about the Bible that most of the time we don't have any idea at all what he's talking about!"

He thinks he's "teaching", but he's just talking. Sometimes I hear that referred to as "talking to hear himself talk".
    I was thinking of that guy who was posting to JP Holding a while back, who had some youtube channel where he was teaching people how to count change and other such silly things, and thought of himself as some great teacher, while his posts were mostly confused nonsense. Speedlearner1.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    I was thinking of that guy who was posting to JP Holding a while back, who had some youtube channel where he was teaching people how to count change and other such silly things, and thought of himself as some great teacher, while his posts were mostly confused nonsense. Speedlearner1.
    OH YEAH.... I remember that!!!!