Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Spiritual Gifts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    So, yeah, first I teach on the gifts, and sometimes we do one of those tests just to familiarize people with the gifts and how the operate, then I ask them - over the next few months - to ask God to reveal to them what their gift(s) is/are. I do mention to be aware of what other people observe and tell you.

I was amazed at how many people would tell me, "you know, when I did [ ], people would tell me "it really blesses me when you do [ ].

And when there's the "spiritual confirmation" coming from "2 or 3 witnesses", that really seems to seal the deal.
    I have been told that I explain things in a way that people seem to understand in sunday school. But I definitely don't have the gift of teaching. At least not to a large group. I can't do it at all. Too shy and self conscious.

Comment

Yup... but my wife has gotten as good at that as me --- sometimes even better. Sometimes, I'll announce the culprit, and she'll say "yeah, that's what they WANT you to think, but I think it's [whoever]"
      Maybe that's the gift of prophesy!

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        Maybe that's the gift of prophesy!

Except, the gift of prophecy in the NT is actually proclaiming the word of God, not telling the future.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

I have been told that I explain things in a way that people seem to understand in sunday school. But I definitely don't have the gift of teaching. At least not to a large group. I can't do it at all. Too shy and self conscious.
          But "the gift of teaching" doesn't have to be "stand up and lecture the class" kind of teaching. Many of the things we actually learn are taught in a setting just like you describe. Which is why I really encourage our "Sunday School Teachers" to think of themselves more as "facilitators" than teachers.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

But "the gift of teaching" doesn't have to be "stand up and lecture the class" kind of teaching. Many of the things we actually learn are taught in a setting just like you describe. Which is why I really encourage our "Sunday School Teachers" to think of themselves more as "facilitators" than teachers.
            huh. I guess I learned something.

You must have the gift of teaching!

Comment

huh. I guess I learned something.

You must have the gift of teaching!
              I've been told that a bunch.

Seriously, I think that, too many times, we confuse the intention or meaning of the gift mentioned in the Bible with whatever we think is the Western equivalent.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Another thing about teaching.

I've often said, "if people are not learning, then you're not teaching - you're talking".

Comment

It certainly can be!

On the other hand, just "knowing stuff" and disseminating it isn't necessarily a spiritual gift. Like a history teacher who just seems to be in "auto pilot" mode, droning on about dates and names and facts... I don't think that's a gift at all. Now, being able to make the student WANT to learn those dates and names and facts -- that may be a horse of a different color!
                  What do YOU know about my teachings skills?

Comment

Originally posted by Christian3 View Post
                    What do YOU know about my teachings skills?
                    Probably about as much as I know about women's fashion!

Comment

Another thing about teaching.

I've often said, "if people are not learning, then you're not teaching - you're talking".
                      Really?

Have you ever tried to teach a Jew that Jesus is the Messiah using Scriptures only to have them say you are misinterpreting Scriptures?

Have you ever tried to teach a Muslim that Jesus claimed to be divine, only to have them say Jesus didn't say that; the writers put those words in Jesus mouth and you can't believe the New Testament because it is corrupted?

Comment

Originally posted by Christian3 View Post
                        Really?

Have you ever tried to teach a Jew that Jesus is the Messiah using Scriptures only to have them say you are misinterpreting Scriptures?

Have you ever tried to teach a Muslim that Jesus claimed to be divine, only to have them say Jesus didn't say that; the writers put those words in Jesus mouth and you can't believe the New Testament because it is corrupted?
                        I don't think the gift of teaching is necessarily meant to be directed towards those outside of the faith. Teaching is of no use to those who have their eyes closed to the truth. Or as Paul says in 1 Corinthians 2:

Scripture Verse: 1 Cor 2:14-16 ESV

14 The natural person does not accept the things of the Spirit of God, for they are folly to him, and he is not able to understand them because they are spiritually discerned. 15 The spiritual person judges all things, but is himself to be judged by no one. 16 “For who has understood the mind of the Lord so as to instruct him?” But we have the mind of Christ.

© Copyright Original Source

Comment

Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
                          I don't think the gift of teaching is necessarily meant to be directed towards those outside of the faith. Teaching is of no use to those who have their eyes closed to the truth. Or as Paul says in 1 Corinthians 2:

Scripture Verse: 1 Cor 2:14-16 ESV

14 The natural person does not accept the things of the Spirit of God, for they are folly to him, and he is not able to understand them because they are spiritually discerned. 15 The spiritual person judges all things, but is himself to be judged by no one. 16 “For who has understood the mind of the Lord so as to instruct him?” But we have the mind of Christ.

© Copyright Original Source

I think it is meant to be directed to both, those inside the faith and those outside.

Didn't Jesus say to preach the Gospel to ALL nations.

Paul also said in Romans 10: 14 But how can they call on Him they have not believed in? And how can they believe without hearing about Him? And how can they hear without a preacher? 15 And how can they preach unless they are sent? As it is written: How beautiful are the feet of those who announce the gospel of good things! 16 But all did not obey the gospel. For Isaiah says, Lord, who has believed our message? 17 So faith comes from what is heard, and what is heard comes through the message about Christ.

I agree that there are those who will never belief and we can't reach them.

My best friend is a non-believer and he always finds an excuse not to believe.

Comment

Do you know what yours is?
                            Do you believe every Christian has a spiritual gift?
                            Do you believe these gifts are assigned by the Spirit, and not ours to "claim"?
                            Do you allow your spiritual gift to be used to the benefit of the Body?
                            Originally posted by Cow Poke
                            AND....
                            do you think you can have more than one spiritual gift, and do you think your spiritual gift(s) can change over time?
                            Yes
                            Yes
                            Yes
                            Yes, and I think it's possible. Gifts develop and mature with use, experience and I think the maturity of the gift-user.
                            ...>>> Witty remark or snarky quote of another poster goes here <<<...

Comment

Do you know what yours is?
                              Do you believe every Christian has a spiritual gift?
                              Do you believe these gifts are assigned by the Spirit, and not ours to "claim"?
                              Do you allow your spiritual gift to be used to the benefit of the Body?
                              Regarding the last question, the answer is maybe.

Within the church, I've had a real mixed experience. In some churches, I've been able to serve the Body with the gifts I have. In other churches, they seem to have an agenda and want me in a certain slot regardless of my gifting. I've gotten "God gives strength in weakness" in those churches.

I don't do a lot outside of the church body which is probably a shame on me. Yet I seem to really want to serve in a church body under the guidance and assistance of the pastor and elders. Doesn't happen very much.
                              "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
                                Regarding the last question, the answer is maybe.

Within the church, I've had a real mixed experience. In some churches, I've been able to serve the Body with the gifts I have. In other churches, they seem to have an agenda and want me in a certain slot regardless of my gifting. I've gotten "God gives strength in weakness" in those churches.
                                Good point.... there are times when, absent a person with the applicable gifting, I ask somebody to "fill in", but I'd much rather they volunteer. Amazingly, sometimes that "volunteer" discovers that they are far more suited for the task than they had ever imagined.

I don't do a lot outside of the church body which is probably a shame on me. Yet I seem to really want to serve in a church body under the guidance and assistance of the pastor and elders. Doesn't happen very much.
                                I think, in many cases, it's laziness on the Church --- to get to know new people and discover their gifts, talents and abilities. OR, in some cases, it's a "us 4 and no more" mentality, where they're afraid of giving up 'control' or something.

Comment