Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Spiritual Gifts

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

Spiritual Gifts

Do you know what yours is?
    Do you believe every Christian has a spiritual gift?
    Do you believe these gifts are assigned by the Spirit, and not ours to "claim"?
    Do you allow your spiritual gift to be used to the benefit of the Body?
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    AND....
    do you think you can have more than one spiritual gift, and do you think your spiritual gift(s) can change over time?
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    I think I have more than one spiritual gift.

Yes.

Yes.

Not sure what you mean.

4. Amen Cow Poke amen'd this post.
    tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    AND....
    do you think you can have more than one spiritual gift, and do you think your spiritual gift(s) can change over time?
    Yes I think I have more than one; I think more gifts can be added over time. I don't think you lose any, but any one can get better.

6. Amen Obsidian amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian3 View Post
    Yes I think I have more than one; I think more gifts can be added over time. I don't think you lose any, but any one can get better.
    Would you care to share what your spiritual gifts are?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian3 View Post
    Not sure what you mean.
    So, let's explore that...

Scripture Verse: Romans 12

3 For by the grace given to me I say to everyone among you not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think, but to think with sober judgment, each according to the measure of faith that God has assigned. 4 For as in one body we have many members, and the members do not all have the same function, 5 so we, though many, are one body in Christ, and individually members one of another. 6 Having gifts that differ according to the grace given to us, let us use them: if prophecy, in proportion to our faith; 7 if service, in our serving; the one who teaches, in his teaching; 8 the one who exhorts, in his exhortation; the one who contributes, in generosity; the one who leads, with zeal; the one who does acts of mercy, with cheerfulness.

© Copyright Original Source

And....

1 Corinthians 12:7 - "Now to each one the manifestation of the Spirit is given for the common good."
    Ephesians 4:12 - "to prepare God's people for works of service, so that the body of Christ may be built up"
    1 Peter 4:10 - "Each one should use whatever gift he has received to serve others..."

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Yes, God's forgiveness through Jesus Christ.

See above.

Yes.

Not as much as I should.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    AND....
    Yes, I do. I personally think I have the most boring spiritual gift, administration, and also teaching. I concur with Chrawnus that salvation is a gift but it seems to be on different level that what you are referring to as spiritual gifts. You definitely need salvation before you can properly employee the other gifts.

I don't think your gift can change over time. You might lose the ability to use it if you neglect to use it over a long enough period of time. I do think God might add a gift as you mature.
    "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
    Yes, I do. I personally think I have the most boring spiritual gift, administration, and also teaching. I concur with Chrawnus that salvation is a gift but it seems to be on different level that what you are referring to as spiritual gifts. You definitely need salvation before you can properly employee the other gifts.

I don't think your gift can change over time. You might lose the ability to use it if you neglect to use it over a long enough period of time. I do think God might add a gift as you mature.
    Yeah, and I appreciate what Chrawnus intended, so let's clarify the spiritual gifts of which I write...

Romans 12:6-8 [ESV] Having gifts that differ according to the grace given to us, let us use them: if prophecy, pin proportion to our faith; 7 if service, in our serving; the one who teaches, in his teaching; 8 the one who exhorts, in his exhortation; the one who contributes, in generosity; the one who leads, 6 with zeal; the one who does acts of mercy, with cheerfulness.

1 Corinthians 12:4-11 [ESV] 4 Now there are varieties of gifts, but the same Spirit; 5 and there are varieties of service, but the same Lord; 6 and there are varieties of activities, but it is the same God who empowers them all in everyone. 7 To each is given the manifestation of the Spirit for the common good. 8 For to one is given through the Spirit the utterance of wisdom, and to another the utterance of knowledge according to the same Spirit, 9 to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healing by the one Spirit, 10 to another the working of miracles, to another prophecy, to another the ability to distinguish between spirits, to another various kinds of tongues, to another the interpretation of tongues. 11 All these are empowered by one and the same Spirit, who apportions to each one individually has he wills.

1 Corinthians 12:28 [ESV] And God has appointed in the church first apostles, second prophets, third teachers, then miracles, then gifts of healing, helping, administrating, and various kinds of tongues.

And we could include Ephesians 4:12 [ESV] And he gave the apostles, the prophets, the evangelists, the shepherds and teachers...

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Yeah, and I appreciate what Chrawnus intended, so let's clarify the spiritual gifts of which I write...

Romans 12:6-8 [ESV] Having gifts that differ according to the grace given to us, let us use them: if prophecy, pin proportion to our faith; 7 if service, in our serving; the one who teaches, in his teaching; 8 the one who exhorts, in his exhortation; the one who contributes, in generosity; the one who leads, 6 with zeal; the one who does acts of mercy, with cheerfulness.

1 Corinthians 12:4-11 [ESV] 4 Now there are varieties of gifts, but the same Spirit; 5 and there are varieties of service, but the same Lord; 6 and there are varieties of activities, but it is the same God who empowers them all in everyone. 7 To each is given the manifestation of the Spirit for the common good. 8 For to one is given through the Spirit the utterance of wisdom, and to another the utterance of knowledge according to the same Spirit, 9 to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healing by the one Spirit, 10 to another the working of miracles, to another prophecy, to another the ability to distinguish between spirits, to another various kinds of tongues, to another the interpretation of tongues. 11 All these are empowered by one and the same Spirit, who apportions to each one individually has he wills.

1 Corinthians 12:28 [ESV] And God has appointed in the church first apostles, second prophets, third teachers, then miracles, then gifts of healing, helping, administrating, and various kinds of tongues.

And we could include Ephesians 4:12 [ESV] And he gave the apostles, the prophets, the evangelists, the shepherds and teachers...
    Well, if we read what you cited from Romans 12 then it becomes pretty immediately clear that even though every gift is supernatural in origin (since all gifts come from the Spirit), not all gifts express themselves supernaturally. The gifts of service, teaching, exhortation, contribution/generosity, leading and mercy for example, are all examples of gifts which are not visibly supernatural, which means that if the Spirit decides to give a person one of the above gifts, and not ones that have a supernatural expression, it might be harder for that person to make a judgement on what his exact spiritual gift(s) are.