Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Spiritual Gifts

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    I don't really know for sure, but I think mine is discernment. I tend to read people pretty well most of the time, and can spot a scammer a mile away, especially a religious one. Or maybe I am just paranoid and suspicious.
    One of the things I have encouraged people to do is -- if you believe your spiritual gift is [whatever], practice operating in that gift, and see if it feels natural, and if people seem blessed by it.
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by mossrose View Post
    I have been told that I have the gift of discernment, which I didn't recognize in myself until then, and I also believe I have the gift of administration.

It seems to me to be better when someone else sees a particular gift in another than to try to figure it out on one's own.
    Agree.

But I do know that I definitely do not have the gift of hospitality!

I am also wondering how many will volunteer that they have the gift of giving!

3. Amen Cow Poke, mossrose amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    But this is an example I use about how Church committees, for example, should not be comprised of people because of their particular line of work, but because of their giftedness.

Example -- Church benevolence committee that has members who have the gift of mercy --- they'd give away the farm! If the committee were made up of bankers, they'd probably be tight as bark on a willow. There needs to be at least one person on that committee with the gift of discernment, etc.
    My mom and brother used to hate to watch TV or movies with me because I would find and point out all the plot holes and tell her who-dun-it ten minutes into the film or TV show.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    My mom and brother used to hate to watch TV or movies with me because I would find and point out all the plot holes and tell her who-dun-it ten minutes into the film or TV show.
    Yup... but my wife has gotten as good at that as me --- sometimes even better. Sometimes, I'll announce the culprit, and she'll say "yeah, that's what they WANT you to think, but I think it's [whoever]"
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Esther View Post
    I am also wondering how many will volunteer that they have the gift of giving!
    I don't.

I give because I'm supposed to, and I know God blesses it, but it's not my gift. I DO have a very generous man in my church who most certainly has the gift of giving, along with the resources to give. I can always spot a "cheerful giver", in that they care more about giving, and ZERO about getting credit for it, or people knowing that they give, and ZERO attempts to control or guide where that gift is applied.

7. Amen mossrose amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    So, yeah, first I teach on the gifts, and sometimes we do one of those tests just to familiarize people with the gifts and how the operate, then I ask them - over the next few months - to ask God to reveal to them what their gift(s) is/are. I do mention to be aware of what other people observe and tell you.

I was amazed at how many people would tell me, "you know, when I did [ ], people would tell me "it really blesses me when you do [ ].

And when there's the "spiritual confirmation" coming from "2 or 3 witnesses", that really seems to seal the deal.
    I have been told that I explain things in a way that people seem to understand in sunday school. But I definitely don't have the gift of teaching. At least not to a large group. I can't do it at all. Too shy and self conscious.

9. Amen Cow Poke amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Yup... but my wife has gotten as good at that as me --- sometimes even better. Sometimes, I'll announce the culprit, and she'll say "yeah, that's what they WANT you to think, but I think it's [whoever]"
    Maybe that's the gift of prophesy!

Faith
    slave & child of Christ
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Maybe that's the gift of prophesy!

Except, the gift of prophecy in the NT is actually proclaiming the word of God, not telling the future.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I have been told that I explain things in a way that people seem to understand in sunday school. But I definitely don't have the gift of teaching. At least not to a large group. I can't do it at all. Too shy and self conscious.
    But "the gift of teaching" doesn't have to be "stand up and lecture the class" kind of teaching. Many of the things we actually learn are taught in a setting just like you describe. Which is why I really encourage our "Sunday School Teachers" to think of themselves more as "facilitators" than teachers.

13. Amen Sparko amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    But "the gift of teaching" doesn't have to be "stand up and lecture the class" kind of teaching. Many of the things we actually learn are taught in a setting just like you describe. Which is why I really encourage our "Sunday School Teachers" to think of themselves more as "facilitators" than teachers.
    huh. I guess I learned something.

You must have the gift of teaching!