Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Spiritual Gifts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    First, welcome to Tweb.
    Second, where the gifts are discussed by Paul, the purpose is also explained - for the edification of the Church.
    That could be revival, sure, but it could also be the daily operation of the Church.
    Sure, the church has to be woken up if it has fallen asleep, but not just so that it can smell the roses.

Israel, made up of Jews, was raised to be a blessing to the world. Because of unbelief, the privilege and honour of that was taken away and given to the new man, consisting of both Jews and Gentiles. We are like the Rescue Services, we train and exercise and work out not so that we have beautifully sculpted bodies, but so that we can serve/save. So fit bodies are an interim stage. However, even regarding this, getting that fit body, many of us don't know that there is a qualifying test. Is there a weakness in this argument?

Hebrews 3:7Therefore, just as the Holy Spirit says,
    “TODAY IF YOU HEAR HIS VOICE,

8DO NOT HARDEN YOUR HEARTS AS WHEN THEY PROVOKED ME,
    AS IN THE DAY OF TRIAL IN THE WILDERNESS,

9WHERE YOUR FATHERS TRIED Me BY TESTING Me,
    AND SAW MY WORKS FOR FORTY YEARS.

10“THEREFORE I WAS ANGRY WITH THIS GENERATION,
    AND SAID, ‘THEY ALWAYS GO ASTRAY IN THEIR HEART,
    AND THEY DID NOT KNOW MY WAYS’;

11AS I SWORE IN MY WRATH,
    ‘THEY SHALL NOT ENTER MY REST.’”

Don't want to sound alarmist, but the Gospel is 'Jesus is King', meaning God will test/judge our fitness.

Acts 17:30“Therefore having overlooked the times of ignorance, God is now declaring to men that all people everywhere should repent, 31because He has fixed a day in which He will judge the world in righteousness through a Man whom He has appointed, having furnished proof to all men by raising Him from the dead.”

Scary, but also puzzling. Committing to a course, preparing to pass it, but still praying not to be brought to the test. Was Jesus confused?

Comment

Let's describe the situation in a roundabout way.

There was a landowner who wanted to use his land. So he hired a foreman to set up a ranch. The foreman arrived at the land, and the first thing he saw was a mustang. That hoss looked magnificent, running free and strong. However it was of no use to the owner and the owner was of no use to it. So the foreman subdued the hoss, made it rideable. In return the hoss was cared for, protected from dry spells, winter snow and illness and old age. When heads of cattle were procured, it helped in the roundup. Soon the foreman could hire more ‘punchers and buy more cattle as well as find more wild hosses to subdue. And they all lived happily everafter.

Of course our Bible tells of a different story, of the firing of the foreman. Never mind the loss of job, he could not even run his own life, without the indwelling, tabernacling of the Owner. Because only the pure can see God. Thank goodness Jesus was sent!

2 Corinthians 5:21God made him who had no sin to be sin (b: offering) for us, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God.

We had a good discussion with RBerman, Tercel, etc. on the old tweb about Kasemann’s view of dikaiosune theou meaning the covenant faithfulness of God. We have become God’s way of setting the world to rights! By resting in Christ. The result promised to those who obeyed the voice.

PS I was so tempted to use the handle 'Hoss'. What a bonanza that would have been!
      Last edited by footwasher; 07-17-2020, 12:23 AM.

Comment