Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Matthew 11:27

  1. #1
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    732
    Amen (Given)
    141
    Amen (Received)
    172

    Matthew 11:27

    Matthew 11:27 Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB)
    27 All things have been entrusted to Me by My Father. No one knows the Son except the Father, and no one knows the Father except the Son and anyone to whom the Son desires to reveal Him.

    It sounds like Jesus is the one who decides who knows God and that He will choose some and not others, like we have no choice in the matter.

    What do you all think?

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    See, the Thing is... Cow Poke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Republic of Texas
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    61,922
    Amen (Given)
    13432
    Amen (Received)
    28173
    Since Peter later explains that God is not willing that ANY should perish, I don't think it's a stretch to assume that Jesus desires that He be revealed to all, in due time, through the Holy Spirit.
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

  3. Amen Thoughtful Monk amen'd this post.
  4. #3
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    732
    Amen (Given)
    141
    Amen (Received)
    172
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Since Peter later explains that God is not willing that ANY should perish, I don't think it's a stretch to assume that Jesus desires that He be revealed to all, in due time, through the Holy Spirit.
    So, Jesus reveals the Father to everyone, but it is up to them to accept Him.

  5. Amen Cow Poke amen'd this post.
  6. #4
    tWebber lee_merrill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,463
    Amen (Given)
    497
    Amen (Received)
    254
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian3 View Post
    Matthew 11:27 Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB)
    27 All things have been entrusted to Me by My Father. No one knows the Son except the Father, and no one knows the Father except the Son and anyone to whom the Son desires to reveal Him.

    It sounds like Jesus is the one who decides who knows God and that He will choose some and not others, like we have no choice in the matter.
    I believe that God chooses in salvation, ultimately, not us, all the analogies of salvation are passive on our part (new birth, creation, etc.).

    “The great destroyer of man is the will of man. I do not believe that man’s free will has ever saved a soul..." (Charles Spurgeon)

    Blessings,
    Lee
    "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

  7. #5
    Professor and Chaplain Littlejoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    North Texas
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    4,495
    Amen (Given)
    1916
    Amen (Received)
    1949
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian3 View Post
    Matthew 11:27 Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB)
    27 All things have been entrusted to Me by My Father. No one knows the Son except the Father, and no one knows the Father except the Son and anyone to whom the Son desires to reveal Him.

    It sounds like Jesus is the one who decides who knows God and that He will choose some and not others, like we have no choice in the matter.

    What do you all think?

    Thanks.
    If you read single passages of scripture devoid of context you can make it say all kinds of things...back up to verse 20 and then go on down to the end of the chapter. Can this hyperbolic statement stand in light of those verses? Did Jesus really do all those miracles in Chorizan, Bethsaida and Capernaum, only to blind them so that he could pronounce judgement on their towns, while saying even Sodom would have turned if given this evidence? In addition, I would say no unless All in verse 28 & 29 really doesn't mean all.
    "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

    "... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

  8. Amen Cow Poke amen'd this post.
  9. #6
    tWebber lee_merrill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,463
    Amen (Given)
    497
    Amen (Received)
    254
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlejoe View Post
    Did Jesus really do all those miracles in Chorizan, Bethsaida and Capernaum, only to blind them so that he could pronounce judgement on their towns...
    Well, blinding them seems to have been the purpose here:

    "Even after Jesus had performed so many signs in their presence, they still would not believe in him. This was to fulfill the word of Isaiah the prophet:

    'Lord, who has believed our message
    and to whom has the arm of the Lord been revealed?'

    For this reason they could not believe, because, as Isaiah says elsewhere:

    'He has blinded their eyes
    and hardened their hearts,
    so they can neither see with their eyes,
    nor understand with their hearts,
    nor turn—and I would heal them.' " (John 12:37-40)

    In addition, I would say no unless All in verse 28 & 29 really doesn't mean all.
    All who are weary and burdened are invited.

    Blessings,
    Lee
    "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

  10. #7
    Professor and Chaplain Littlejoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    North Texas
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    4,495
    Amen (Given)
    1916
    Amen (Received)
    1949
    Quote Originally Posted by lee_merrill View Post
    Well, blinding them seems to have been the purpose here:

    "Even after Jesus had performed so many signs in their presence, they still would not believe in him. This was to fulfill the word of Isaiah the prophet:

    'Lord, who has believed our message
    and to whom has the arm of the Lord been revealed?'

    For this reason they could not believe, because, as Isaiah says elsewhere:

    'He has blinded their eyes
    and hardened their hearts,
    so they can neither see with their eyes,
    nor understand with their hearts,
    nor turn—and I would heal them.' " (John 12:37-40)
    The Luke synoptic paints it as they were given the choice and then hardened as a result:

    10 When you enter any town, and they don’t welcome you, go out into its streets and say, 11 ‘We are wiping off as a witness against you even the dust of your town that clings to our feet. Know this for certain: The kingdom of God has come near.’ 12 I tell you, on that day it will be more tolerable for Sodom than for that town. (Luke 10:10 - 12)

    16 Whoever listens to you listens to Me. Whoever rejects you rejects Me. And whoever rejects Me rejects the One who sent Me.” (Luke 10:16)


    All who are weary and burdened are invited.

    Blessings,
    Lee
    Right...so, everyone is invited. I've witnessed the Gospel to some who were weary and burdened only to have them refuse the Gospel...haven't you?
    "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

    "... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •