Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Matthew 11:27

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matthew 11:27

Matthew 11:27 Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB)
    27 All things have been entrusted to Me by My Father. No one knows the Son except the Father, and no one knows the Father except the Son and anyone to whom the Son desires to reveal Him.

It sounds like Jesus is the one who decides who knows God and that He will choose some and not others, like we have no choice in the matter.

What do you all think?

Thanks.

Since Peter later explains that God is not willing that ANY should perish, I don't think it's a stretch to assume that Jesus desires that He be revealed to all, in due time, through the Holy Spirit.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      Since Peter later explains that God is not willing that ANY should perish, I don't think it's a stretch to assume that Jesus desires that He be revealed to all, in due time, through the Holy Spirit.
      So, Jesus reveals the Father to everyone, but it is up to them to accept Him.

Comment

Originally posted by Christian3 View Post
        27 All things have been entrusted to Me by My Father. No one knows the Son except the Father, and no one knows the Father except the Son and anyone to whom the Son desires to reveal Him.

It sounds like Jesus is the one who decides who knows God and that He will choose some and not others, like we have no choice in the matter.
        I believe that God chooses in salvation, ultimately, not us, all the analogies of salvation are passive on our part (new birth, creation, etc.).

“The great destroyer of man is the will of man. I do not believe that man’s free will has ever saved a soul..." (Charles Spurgeon)

Blessings,
        Lee
        "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

Comment

Originally posted by Christian3 View Post

What do you all think?

Thanks.
          If you read single passages of scripture devoid of context you can make it say all kinds of things...back up to verse 20 and then go on down to the end of the chapter. Can this hyperbolic statement stand in light of those verses? Did Jesus really do all those miracles in Chorizan, Bethsaida and Capernaum, only to blind them so that he could pronounce judgement on their towns, while saying even Sodom would have turned if given this evidence? In addition, I would say no unless All in verse 28 & 29 really doesn't mean all.
          "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
            Did Jesus really do all those miracles in Chorizan, Bethsaida and Capernaum, only to blind them so that he could pronounce judgement on their towns...
            Well, blinding them seems to have been the purpose here:

"Even after Jesus had performed so many signs in their presence, they still would not believe in him. This was to fulfill the word of Isaiah the prophet:

'Lord, who has believed our message
            and to whom has the arm of the Lord been revealed?'

For this reason they could not believe, because, as Isaiah says elsewhere:

'He has blinded their eyes
            and hardened their hearts,
            so they can neither see with their eyes,
            nor understand with their hearts,
            nor turn—and I would heal them.' " (John 12:37-40)

In addition, I would say no unless All in verse 28 & 29 really doesn't mean all.
            All who are weary and burdened are invited.

Blessings,
            Lee
            "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

Comment

Originally posted by lee_merrill View Post

"Even after Jesus had performed so many signs in their presence, they still would not believe in him. This was to fulfill the word of Isaiah the prophet:

The Luke synoptic paints it as they were given the choice and then hardened as a result:

10 When you enter any town, and they don’t welcome you, go out into its streets and say, 11 ‘We are wiping off as a witness against you even the dust of your town that clings to our feet. Know this for certain: The kingdom of God has come near.’ 12 I tell you, on that day it will be more tolerable for Sodom than for that town. (Luke 10:10 - 12)

16 Whoever listens to you listens to Me. Whoever rejects you rejects Me. And whoever rejects Me rejects the One who sent Me.” (Luke 10:16)

Blessings,
              Lee
              Right...so, everyone is invited. I've witnessed the Gospel to some who were weary and burdened only to have them refuse the Gospel...haven't you?
              "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
                The Luke synoptic paints it as they were given the choice and then hardened as a result:

10 When you enter any town, and they don’t welcome you, go out into its streets and say, 11 ‘We are wiping off as a witness against you even the dust of your town that clings to our feet. Know this for certain: The kingdom of God has come near.’ 12 I tell you, on that day it will be more tolerable for Sodom than for that town. (Luke 10:10 - 12)

16 Whoever listens to you listens to Me. Whoever rejects you rejects Me. And whoever rejects Me rejects the One who sent Me.” (Luke 10:16)
                This is saying some will welcome and listen to you, and some will not. But the question remains, is it true that God hardens people, lest they turn and be healed? That salvation is ultimately the choice of God?

Right...so, everyone is invited. I've witnessed the Gospel to some who were weary and burdened only to have them refuse the Gospel...haven't you?
                No, just the weary and burdened, the thirsty are invited (John 7:37, Rev. 22:17). That does not mean they will all come at the invitation, the predestinating call of God must be present too.

"And those he predestined, he also called; those he called, he also justified; those he justified, he also glorified." (Rom. 8:30)

Blessings,
                Lee

Comment

Originally posted by lee_merrill View Post

Blessings,
                  Lee
                  I think the result, because it is infallibly certain and is known to God, is expressed as though it were the purpose of God. IMHO, the distinction between what result and intention is one we have to make - one that does not exist “in God”. We make such distinctions, because our intellects have to use distinct concepts, rather than understanding entities by direct, concept-free intuition. We have to use concepts, because of the sort of creature man is by nature.

God “sincerely wishes” (so to put it) that all be saved - but the result of the preaching of the Good News of the Kingdom is, and because of human sinfulness “must be”, that some will harden their hearts against it. This hardening is man’s fault, even though it could not come about if it were not foreknown by God as a possibility within His government of creatures. What is immovably and irresistibly certain, is the full realisation of God’s Kingdom on Earth. People can resist it if they insist, but they are wrong to do so. God foreknows human sin, but is in no sense whatsoever the Author or Cause of it.

FWIW, I think Spurgeon is mistaken to discount all action of the human will, which he seems to do. If we cannot respond to God’s grace with an answering love for God - which is act of the will - then we cannot love God. Which makes a nonsense of life in Christ.
                  Last edited by Rushing Jaws; 07-12-2020, 07:04 PM.

Comment