Announcement

Collapse

Deeper Waters Forum Guidelines

Notice – The ministries featured in this section of TheologyWeb are guests of this site and in some cases not bargaining for the rough and tumble world of debate forums, though sometimes they are. Additionally, this area is frequented and highlighted for guests who also very often are not acclimated to debate fora. As such, the rules of conduct here will be more strict than in the general forum. This will be something within the discretion of the Moderators and the Ministry Representative, but we simply ask that you conduct yourselves in a manner considerate of the fact that these ministries are our invited guests. You can always feel free to start a related thread in general forum without such extra restrictions. Thank you.

Deeper Waters is founded on the belief that the Christian community has long been in the shallow end of Christianity while there are treasures of the deep waiting to be discovered. Too many in the shallow end are not prepared when they go out beyond those waters and are quickly devoured by sharks. We wish to aid Christians to equip them to navigate the deeper waters of the ocean of truth and come up with treasure in the end.

We also wish to give special aid to those often neglected, that is, the disabled community. This is especially so since our founders are both on the autism spectrum and have a special desire to reach those on that spectrum. While they are a special emphasis, we seek to help others with any disability realize that God can use them and that they are as the Psalmist says, fearfully and wonderfully made.

General TheologyWeb forum rules: here.
See more
See less

God and Germs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• God and Germs

Why didn't God tell us about germs?

Link

------

Why weren’t we told about germs? Let’s plunge into the Deeper Waters and find out.

So yesterday I was told about a guy named Tim Sledge making the rounds on YouTube. Apparently, he used to be a minister and served in music as well and now he’s decided it’s all bunk. His arguments, as expected, are hardly stellar. The first tweet I was shown yesterday was about how God told Abraham that his descendants would be like the stars of the sky or the sand on the seashore and if he could count those, he could count his descendants.

Now on Planet Earth, most of us recognize figures of speech and hyperbole. God is telling Abraham to look up and picture if he could count the stars of the sky. He couldn’t. The same will be with his descendants. Abraham couldn’t count all of them either. The same with sand on the sea.

Sledge doesn’t read it that way. Instead, he gives a count of how many stars are on the sky and says how many more descendants of Abraham there need to be. Whoa! God’s promise has fallen short.

This is an argument so ridiculous that no one can really take it seriously.

Yet another argument of his is apparently one in a book of his on four disturbing questions. Right now, my funds are tight and I have a lot of books on Kindle to read already, but I hope to get at least this one to see how bad the questions are. One such question is why didn’t God tell us about germs.

To begin with, let’s suppose the answer is “I don’t know.” It’s not mine, but let’s suppose it is. Does this refute the arguments for the existence of God? No. Does it refute the arguments for the resurrection of Jesus? No. Does it refute arguments for biblical reliability? No. At best, it simply demonstrates there are things we don’t know, including about God, and if God exists, shouldn’t there be things about Him we don’t know or understand?

Let’s go a bit deeper. First, what was the Bible supposed to say? “There are beings that you cannot see that cause you get to sick so wash your hands?” Even if this was said, we haven’t been good at following the advice already in the Bible. Why think we would follow this one?

Second, if it was there, the next question would be why not tell us about something else? Why didn’t God tell us about how to reach our protein count for the day? Why didn’t God teach us about how to prepare meat properly? Why didn’t God teach us how to make iPhones?

Another point to consider is while some handwashing is better than none, the water wasn’t exactly pure and pristine in those times. If anyone still got sick, people would look and say “See? That passage is nonsense. You washed and got sick anyway.”

Third, in the incarnation, there’s no reason to think Jesus would have known about germs. Now am I denying the deity of Christ? Not at all. However, Jesus in the incarnation we know did not know everything. He only knew what was essential for His mission. That does not mean it would include germs.

These are just three reasons. Some of you will be able to think of more. Even if we don’t know the reasons, that only demonstrates that we are ignorant. It doesn’t demonstrate that Jesus didn’t rise from the dead or that God doesn’t exist.

Perhaps sometime soon I will get to go through more of Sledge’s material, but looking at what happens on Twitter, his account is being seen more as a joke than anything serious. Still, it could be fun to just look.

In Christ,
    Nick Peters

All that stuff in the Law about quarantining sick people, and not touching someone else's blood, and making sure your metal cooking pots are clean before cooking meat... Those get skipped by people who say the kinds of things this guy is saying.
    Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

Comment

Originally posted by QuantaFille View Post
      All that stuff in the Law about quarantining sick people, and not touching someone else's blood, and making sure your metal cooking pots are clean before cooking meat... Those get skipped by people who say the kinds of things this guy is saying.
      I previously proposed that as a possible apologetic but the general consensus seems to have been that these were ritual purity laws. Still, I think it's an idea worth exploring.
      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
        I previously proposed that as a possible apologetic but the general consensus seems to have been that these were ritual purity laws. Still, I think it's an idea worth exploring.
        I know they are. It's just awfully coincidental that they conveniently had practical reasons behind them, as well.
        Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

Comment

It's another from the school of 'I know better than God' objections. Jesus must really be kicking Himself that He wasn't born in the last 20 years or so, when we have the Internet, and know everything.
          ...>>> Witty remark or snarky quote of another poster goes here <<<...

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
            Were the instructions to to "have a place outside the camp and go out there, and you shall have a spade among your tools, and it shall be when you sit down outside, you shall dig with it and shall turn to cover up your excrement" part of ritual purity laws?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment