Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Trump implicates Scarborough in murder.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by little_monkey View Post
    Well, you definitely misunderstand the concept of "truth" and "fact". Joe Biden in his "truth over fact" is expressing an opinion, and such statements cannot be assigned a "truth" value. But it is a fact that he is expressing an opinion. See what I've done here!?
    I think it more likely his point was poorly expressed in the formulaic prose he was using. While truth and facts are not the same thing as you are pointing out, they are closely related. That is, a fact is generally expressed in some form of logical statement, where the statement is true to the extent it accurately expresses the underlying fact.

What Joe was likely getting at is that statements of fact can and often are spun to generate untruth. Not only that, sometimes it is quite difficult to untangle that web so as to get at and expose the untruth they represent. Wattsup does this nearly every day. As does Answers in Genesis.

Choosing truth over facts captures that ... albeit clumsily.
    My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
      I think it more likely his point was poorly expressed in the formulaic prose he was using. While truth and facts are not the same thing as you are pointing out, they are closely related. That is, a fact is generally expressed in some form of logical statement, where the statement is true to the extent it accurately expresses the underlying fact.

What Joe was likely getting at is that statements of fact can and often are spun to generate untruth. Not only that, sometimes it is quite difficult to untangle that web so as to get at and expose the untruth they represent. Wattsup does this nearly every day. As does Answers in Genesis.

Choosing truth over facts captures that ... albeit clumsily.
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
        Nobody says dumber things than Trump, and he says dumb things nearly every day. "maybe we can inject the bleach, ya know, almost like a cleaning."
        Again, let's look at truth rather than gossip.... (truth over fact, if you will )

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

... that statements of fact can and often are spun to generate untruth...
          Indeed, the words "truth" or "false/untruth" are assigned to statements. While "facts" are about events (time and space) which occur independent of our own existence. One can cleverly construct a statement that contain factual contents but are false. "Fact" is an event that can be investigated through witnesses, documents, records and so on. They either have occurred or didn't. While statements can contain not only facts but opinions, suggestions, allegations and so forth making the assignment of "true/false" to that statement an almost impossible task.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
            Careful, you are in fact only showing your own stupidity and lack of comprehension with this response. Of course, if that is the message you want to send. By all means, go for it.
            My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              Again, let's look at truth rather than gossip.... (truth over fact, if you will )

Yes, he directly suggests injecting 'the disinfectant', referring to those discussed in the preceding presentation. One of the disinfectants discussed in the earlier presentation in that press conference was bleach. Clorox is a common household brand name for bleach.
              Last edited by oxmixmudd; 05-28-2020, 12:14 PM.

Comment

Careful, you are in fact only showing your own stupidity and lack of comprehension with this response. Of course, if that is the message you want to send. By all means, go for it.

Comment

Yes, he directly suggests injecting 'the disinfectant', referring to those discussed in the preceding presentation. One of the disinfectants discussed in the earlier presentation in that press conference was bleach. Clorox is a common household brand name for bleach.
                  And yet you found some convoluted way of making sense of Biden's nonsensical "truth over facts" gaffe.

You are such a dupe!

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                    Nobody says dumber things than Trump, and he says dumb things nearly every day. "maybe we can inject the bleach, ya know, almost like a cleaning."
                    Can you source this quote?

Or is this yet another in a long line of fabricated quotes that you made up and tried to pass off as legitimate?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by Starlight View Post
                      Even for those of us who think shutting down twitter would be a bad thing, it might still rank as the best thing Trump's done.
                      Maybe they could shadow ban him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                        Maybe they could shadow ban him.
                        They've already done that to a couple elected Republican officials.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Since liberals don't seem to think Twitter did anything wrong, I would like to ask tweb moderators to start editing the posts of our resident liberals and adding "fact check" links to their submissions.
                          LOL. Where have you been. I made you our resident liberal "fact-checker" pages ago!

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                          PSA: Good news! In an effort to maintain the integrity of the information on Theologyweb, we proud to announce that we will begin fact-checking political posts by our members. Our new moderator in charge of fact-checking will be Mountain Man. Thank you.
                          And see:
                          http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...l=1#post741960

Comment

And yet you found some convoluted way of making sense of Biden's nonsensical "truth over facts" gaffe.

You are such a dupe!
                            Sorry MM, 'truth over facts' does in fact represent a counter to an ever expanding means of creating misinformation.

There is a very large amount of disinformation spread around the internet, often with the intent of supporting the uber conservative agenda, and that is exactly the sort of thing that would fit under this banner. The anti AGW rhetoric being a good example. But also the majority of the covid misinformation. Facts stated and spun out of context to support a falsehood. Biden should own it and explain it.

Comment

You are such a dupe!
                              Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                              LOL. Where have you been. I made you our resident liberal "fact-checker" pages ago!

And see:
                              http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...l=1#post741960
                              There seems to be a trend of people hailing from conservative ranks pushing for an very relativistic view of truth. As if no statement can be assessed objectively against a standard of truth.

That may make supporting Trump easier, but it's a horribly destructive path in general, one often adopted by oppressive regimes, and directly contrary to much of tte text found in our constitution.

If trump, or anyone, creates a statement that us provably, objectively false, then there should be no real objective reason to prohibit flagging it as such. The originator is not being prohibited from making the statement, and neither are readers prohibited from deciding for themselves if the quality assessment is true. So his free speech is not hindered. But neither is free speech granted as a license to deceive. IOW, free speech includes the right to rebutt said speech.
                              Last edited by oxmixmudd; 05-28-2020, 01:23 PM.

Comment

Sorry MM, 'truth over facts' does in fact represent a counter to an ever expanding means of creating misinformation.

There is a very large amount of disinformation spread around the internet, often with the intent of supporting the uber conservative agenda, and that is exactly the sort of thing that would fit under this banner. The anti AGW rhetoric being a good example. But also the majority of the covid misinformation. Facts stated and spun out of context to support a falsehood. Biden should own it and explain it.

You're not doing yourself any favors with these hysterics, unless this is a comedy routine, in which case, carry on, because this is some funny stuff!

Comment