Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Trump implicates Scarborough in murder.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Repubs are going to be remembered, for a long time, for building an autocratic leadership where none should exist. The USA is on a knife edge; it is not clear that US democracy will survive Trump’s attempts to crush it. Barr might succeed in his effort to rewrite history.

US President Donald Trump will sign an executive order targeting social media firms, the White House has said.

It comes after he threatened to shut down social media platforms he accused of stifling conservative voices.

The latest dispute emerged after Twitter added fact-check links to his tweets for the first time.

The order's details have not been shared and it is unclear what regulatory steps the president can take without new laws passed by Congress.

White House officials gave no further information on what is expected in the executive order which is set to be signed on Thursday.
    No criticism of the dear leader will be tolerated.

Trump to 'sign executive order about social media' https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52815872
    “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
    “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
    “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

• Since liberals don't seem to think Twitter did anything wrong, I would like to ask tweb moderators to start editing the posts of our resident liberals and adding "fact check" links to their submissions.
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
        Since liberals don't seem to think Twitter did anything wrong, I would like to ask tweb moderators to start editing the posts of our resident liberals and adding "fact check" links to their submissions.
        With high office, comes a range of responsibilities that your current POTUS is careless about. Being truthful is not a habit with him, and therefore, unusually, a counterbalance is necessary. The US is learning the hard way, how dangerous it is to give a man like Trump, enormous power. We notice too, those who put a defensive wall around him; they are opportunists and their sin is greater.

You should hope, while you still can, that Biden will save you.

At least for now, enemies abroad have their hands full with the virus, etc.
        “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
        “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell

Comment

• BTW, in the Hong Kong matter, no serious opposition will come from the USA, who will deal with China, in future, on China’s terms. The future is sneaky secret deals with China, for economic reasons.

Only the UK has a two systems agreement but they will not be able to hold the line alone.
          Last edited by firstfloor; 05-28-2020, 07:36 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
            Repubs are going to be remembered, for a long time, for building an autocratic leadership where none should exist...
            You think Dems are any different? When you get to the "top", it's all about control -- from EITHER side.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Since liberals don't seem to think Twitter did anything wrong, I would like to ask tweb moderators to start editing the posts of our resident liberals and adding "fact check" links to their submissions.
              Isn't that, fact checking, what most of us do here anyway, MM. The problem is that many people take social media garbage like Trump spews on twitter as fact, you know, like you do before posting the political propaganda that you consume at Breitbart.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                Isn't that, fact checking, what most of us do here anyway, MM...
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Truth over facts!

Truth is about statements. If I point to a cat and say, "this is a cat", then my statement is true. However, if I'm pointing to a tree, my statement is false. So get your notion about "truth" and "facts" correctly.

Comment

• Originally posted by little_monkey View Post
                    Truth is about statements. If I point to a cat and say, "this is a cat",
                    "this is a cat", in reference to a cat, is a fact.

then my statement is true. However, if I'm pointing to a tree, my statement is false.
                    It is NOT a fact that a tree is a cat.

So get your notion about "truth" and "facts" correctly.
                    Yuh.

Comment

• Originally posted by stupid little_monkey View Post
                      Truth is about statements. If I point to a cat and say, "this is a cat", then my statement is true. However, if I'm pointing to a tree, my statement is false. So get your notion about "truth" and "facts" correctly.
                      Tell it to Joe Biden.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/n...ng-iowa-speech

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                        "this is a cat", in reference to a cat, is a fact.

It is NOT a fact that a tree is a cat.

Yuh.
                        If I say, "Superman is a powerful man" that is a true statement but it's not about a fact as Superman is a fictional character. The point is: the word "truth" refers to a statement. The statement itself can be about a fact or something else like an opinion, a suggestion, an advice, an imaginary object, etc. The common mistake is that many consider "truth" and "fact" to be synonymous. They aren't. While truth is about statements, facts are about objective reality, which is independent of my own existence.

Comment

• Originally posted by little_monkey View Post
                          If I say, "Superman is a powerful man" that is a true statement but it's not about a fact as Superman is a fictional character. The point is: the word "truth" refers to a statement. The statement itself can be about a fact or something else like an opinion, a suggestion, an advice, an imaginary object, etc. The common mistake is that many consider "truth" and "fact" to be synonymous. They aren't. While truth is about statements, facts are about objective reality, which is independent of my own existence.
                          Laughing. You get at least a C+ for effort, but poor ol' Joe still said a really dumb thing, as is his nature. And THAT's a fact AND the truth!

Comment

Laughing. You get at least a C+ for effort, but poor ol' Joe still said a really dumb thing, as is his nature. And THAT's a fact AND the truth!
                            Well, you definitely misunderstand the concept of "truth" and "fact". Joe Biden in his "truth over fact" is expressing an opinion, and such statements cannot be assigned a "truth" value. But it is a fact that he is expressing an opinion. See what I've done here!?

Comment

Nobody says dumber things than Trump, and he says dumb things nearly every day. "maybe we can inject the bleach, ya know, almost like a cleaning."

Comment

• Originally posted by JimLamebrain View Post
                                Nobody says dumber things than Trump, and he says dumb things nearly every day. "maybe we can inject the bleach, ya know, almost like a cleaning."
                                Can you provide a source for that quote? Because that's not what he said.

Comment