Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Memorial Day Weekend was Independence Day?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
    CP decided he was ready for meaningful discussion and replied to a post of mine to another person saying so. So far it has been fine.
    Wow..... that's not fair, Jim.... I decided to take a risk that YOU were ready.....
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Meanwhile ----

THE EXPERTS HAVE DECIDED IT IS NOW SAFE TO HAVE CHURCH - EVEN WITH LARGE NUMBERS AND SINGING AND 'CONGREGATIONAL PRAYER'!!!!

(as long as you do it in the paint isle at Home Depot)
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

CP decided he was ready for meaningful discussion and replied to a post of mine to another person saying so. So far it has been fine.
        Okey Dokey.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          You, on the other hand, walked around in sorrow all day? I agree that "Happy Memorial Day" is weird, because of what Memorial Day represents, however....

We do the flag raising at dawn, briskly raising the flag, then lowering it to half staff.
          At noon, the flag goes to full staff.

That evening, my family came over and we ate ham sliders with all the fixin's and played board games. It was a very HAPPY memorial day.

That doesn't detract from the fact that we paid homage to those who gave their all, then enjoyed the freedom for which they paid so dearly.

But still.... I think "Happy Memorial Day" is odd, and try to avoid that.
          We did lots of happy, fun , things, that did not involve large gatherings of people. And we took time to honor those that paid for that freedom.

In light if the high value we place on freedom, perhaps those of us that are Christian's should consider the scripture:

Do not then let your freedom become an opportunity for the flesh.
          My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Meanwhile ----

THE EXPERTS HAVE DECIDED IT IS NOW SAFE TO HAVE CHURCH - EVEN WITH LARGE NUMBERS AND SINGING AND 'CONGREGATIONAL PRAYER'!!!!

Cute, but actually, no. The American Choral Directors Assosiation (ACDA), National Assocsation of Teachers of Singing (NATS) have issued statements acknowledging that singing in groups especially creates a superspreader situation and actually are recommending that choral groups, opera companies, etc recognize there will likely be no truly safe way to rehearse or perform until there is a vaccine. Perhaps excepting very small groups with extra separation in open spaces.

This applies as much to churches as it does to any other large group singing in enclosed spaces. Singing creates lots and lots of aerosols.

Why do I know?. Before this I was involved in four different choral groups. Two churches, one paid, a classical chorus, and a Christian touring chorus.

They are all shut down for the foreseeable future.
            Last edited by oxmixmudd; 05-27-2020, 09:35 AM.
            My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Meanwhile ----

You mean EX-Spurts. Please cite you EX-Spurts.
              Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
              Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
              But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Wow..... that's not fair, Jim.... I decided to take a risk that YOU were ready.....
                Different perspectives I guess. Perhaps we could do the christian thing and give each other the benefit of the doubt and say we both decided we were ready?

Comment

You, on the other hand, walked around in sorrow all day? I agree that "Happy Memorial Day" is weird, because of what Memorial Day represents, however....

We do the flag raising at dawn, briskly raising the flag, then lowering it to half staff.
                  At noon, the flag goes to full staff.

That evening, my family came over and we ate ham sliders with all the fixin's and played board games. It was a very HAPPY memorial day.

That doesn't detract from the fact that we paid homage to those who gave their all, then enjoyed the freedom for which they paid so dearly.

But still.... I think "Happy Memorial Day" is odd, and try to avoid that.
                  It is not a day of sorry nor the Trumpish "Have A Happy Memorial Day."

It is a Day to Honor and and show deep Respect the Fallen Heroes of the Armed Forces, and the Veterans.
                  Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                  Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                  But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                    It is not a day of sorry nor the Trumpish "Have A Happy Memorial Day."

It is a Day to Honor and and show deep Respect the Fallen Heroes of the Armed Forces,
                    Perhaps you should actually read my post instead of just knee-jerk spew.

Ox and I both showed we had a "happy Memorial day".... and I already agreed that it was an odd expression.

Your hatred for Trump is making FAR too much of this - you are being incredibly petty.

and the Veterans.
                    No, we have a special day for that -- Memorial Day is for the fallen.

Comment

Different perspectives I guess. Perhaps we could do the christian thing and give each other the benefit of the doubt and say we both decided we were ready?
                      I was just being more gracious than you!

(kidding)

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                        You mean EX-Spurts. Please cite you EX-Spurts.
                        Shunyadragon is probably the foremost ex-spurt.

Comment

Cute, but actually, no. The American Choral Directors Assosiation (ACDA), National Assocsation of Teachers of Singing (NATS) have issued statements acknowledging that singing in groups especially creates a superspreader situation and actually are recommending that choral groups, opera companies, etc recognize there will likely be no truly safe way to rehearse or perform until there is a vaccine. Perhaps excepting very small groups with extra separation in open spaces.

This applies as much to churches as it does to any other large group singing in enclosed spaces. Singing creates lots and lots of aerosols.

Why do I know?. Before this I was involved in four different choral groups. Two churches, one paid, a classical chorus, and a Christian touring chorus.

They are all shut down for the foreseeable future.
                          I noticed you focused only on singing, and neglected "congregational prayer". See, this is part of the problem --- "experts" often tend to go overboard in their pronouncements. Singing is generally done over at least a 3 to 4 minute period of time, several times per service, for the purpose of being heard, which requires projecting one's voice. No doubt we agree on that, eh?

"Congregational prayer", where it is used, is nothing like that. In the churches where it happens, it's usually reciting the "Lord's Prayer" (which I think is inappropriately named) or responsively like "hear our prayer". NOTHING like "singing".

I agree that "congregational singing" (or the examples you gave) would most certainly be more problematic than greeting one another in Wally World.

Comment

I noticed you focused only on singing, and neglected "congregational prayer". See, this is part of the problem --- "experts" often tend to go overboard in their pronouncements. Singing is generally done over at least a 3 to 4 minute period of time, several times per service, for the purpose of being heard, which requires projecting one's voice. No doubt we agree on that, eh?
                            It should be IMO. In nearly every church I've visited other than Methodist churches, it's more like standing for 30 minutes and singing them all at once.
                            "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

What I want to know is how come CP can get away with calling oxmixmudd Jim, and I am not allowed to do so.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                                What I want to know is how come CP can get away with calling oxmixmudd Jim, and I am not allowed to do so.

I spent the weekend with him, you didn't.

Comment