Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Memorial Day Weekend was Independence Day?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    I spent the weekend with him, you didn't.
    Well, that explains a lot.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
      It should be IMO. In nearly every church I've visited other than Methodist churches, it's more like standing for 30 minutes and singing them all at once.
      I was just thinking a few minutes ago --- Sheeeesh, if we could get a roomful of BAPTISTS to sing and project like these professional singing groups Jim mentions --- that, in itself, would be a MIRACLE!

(if you're talking about the "praise and worship" music -- the Bible Churches I've visited that have that..... it's only a FEW people that are actually singing, most are just standing there staring at the words on the screen. Until, of course, those rare moments when they actually sing a traditional hymn, "souped up or not", where everybody actually joins in)
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I noticed you focused only on singing, and neglected "congregational prayer". See, this is part of the problem --- "experts" often tend to go overboard in their pronouncements. Singing is generally done over at least a 3 to 4 minute period of time, several times per service, for the purpose of being heard, which requires projecting one's voice. No doubt we agree on that, eh?

"Congregational prayer", where it is used, is nothing like that. In the churches where it happens, it's usually reciting the "Lord's Prayer" (which I think is inappropriately named) or responsively like "hear our prayer". NOTHING like "singing".

I agree that "congregational singing" (or the examples you gave) would most certainly be more problematic than greeting one another in Wally World.
        In my experience, people tend to project when participating in congregational prayer (and inhale forcefully while doing so in order to avoid lengthy pauses between phrases). While it may be less forceful than singing, it still increases the risk of spreading the disease.

I am also in a choral group; we had our last concert in early March, which was pushing the envelope. Group/congregational singing, unfortunately, is something we'll need to avoid until we have a vaccine/established herd immunity. All of my liturgy is sung, with a tradition of congregational singing. Pray that neither I nor my priest catch the virus before vaccination occurs, and that the congregation manages to refrain from joining in for the duration.
        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
        sigpic
        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

I think one of the major problems is incredibly inconsistent information from "the experts".

Don't wear masks - they don't help - masks are vital, they'll protect you - OK, masks don't protect you, they protect others from you - 6' is adequate for social distancing - OK, 6' is not enough if you're singing or doing "congregational prayer" (whatever that is) - social distancing works - except in church - and businesses have to close - except Walmart and Home Depot and Krogers and other stuff we deem "essential" - the lockdown is to flatten the curve - no, the lockdown is to keep the hospitals from being overrun - we need THOUSANDS AND THOUSANDS of ventilators - OK, ventilators not nearly as scarce as the fearmongering suggested - oh, lockdown should stay til a vaccine is discovered - ok, not just discovered, but everybody needs to be vaccinated, THEN the lockdown can end - there will be MILLIONS of death - OK, maybe thousands.... - we need TRILLIONS OF DOLLARS, much of which will go to reward our supporters and other incredibly nutty liberal crap...

The Fearmongering has been OVER THE TOP. This has been a case of "never let a good crisis go to waste" on steroids.

I think this is why so many people are just tossing this whole thing out the window and going back to live as normal (or as close to it as they can get)
          Hey, man, don't question the "settled science".
          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
            Hey, man, don't question the "settled scrambled science".
            fify
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
              In my experience, people tend to project when participating in congregational prayer (and inhale forcefully while doing so in order to avoid lengthy pauses between phrases). While it may be less forceful than singing, it still increases the risk of spreading the disease.
              More than just talking? I'm speaking out of ignorance here, as I've never been to an Orthodox service, so I'm asking. I HAVE, however, been to a Pentecostal service where the Pastor called on somebody to "lead in prayer", and he got out "Dear Lord..." and EVERYBODY seemed to be praying in almost a competitive manner, almost like you're more holy if you pray louder. It was my wife's first time in a Pentecostal service, having been raised a Lutheran.

I am also in a choral group; we had our last concert in early March, which was pushing the envelope. Group/congregational singing, unfortunately, is something we'll need to avoid until we have a vaccine/established herd immunity. All of my liturgy is sung, with a tradition of congregational singing. Pray that neither I nor my priest catch the virus before vaccination occurs, and that the congregation manages to refrain from joining in for the duration.
              So, your singing of the liturgy --- I'm assuming that, by the very nature of the layout of the facility, you are properly socially distanced anyway during that time?

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                What I want to know is how come CP can get away with calling oxmixmudd Jim, and I am not allowed to do so.

You can in the text of your reply if you wish. When we were signing our posts, I always signed it 'Jim'. It's just helpful if you dont change the pseudonym in the quote of the post you reply to because that gets confusing wrt the poster whose pseudonym is JimL.
                My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

More than just talking? I'm speaking out of ignorance here, as I've never been to an Orthodox service, so I'm asking. I HAVE, however, been to a Pentecostal service where the Pastor called on somebody to "lead in prayer", and he got out "Dear Lord..." and EVERYBODY seemed to be praying in almost a competitive manner, almost like you're more holy if you pray louder. It was my wife's first time in a Pentecostal service, having been raised a Lutheran.
                  Yes, more than just talking. I've encountered congregational response/prayer in just about every denominational church I've attended.
                  So, your singing of the liturgy --- I'm assuming that, by the very nature of the layout of the facility, you are properly socially distanced anyway during that time?
                  Sort of. Until this whole coronavirus thing, there tended to be anywhere from 2 to 4 cantors leading the singing during liturgy, standing close together. When singing, social distancing doesn't help (one choir near Seattle tried that early in the pandemic, before they knew of anyone in the area having caught the virus, and 90% of the choir caught it).
                  Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                  sigpic
                  I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Texas is exploding.

Arizona is going nuclear.

Florida too.
                    Last edited by DivineOb; 06-18-2020, 04:19 PM.

Comment