Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Memorial Day Weekend was Independence Day?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

Memorial Day Weekend was Independence Day?

When I headed out to Church Sunday Morning, I was AMAZED at how crowded the roads were, as we have a major Houston-to-Austin route going through (or around) town. Pretty much bumper to bumper zinging by, headed who knows where.

Then we see the news reports of crowded beaches, bars, clubs, restaurants.

For good or for bad, it's looking like this Memorial Day weekend was "Independence Day" for a whole bunch of people who decided not to be "locked down" any longer.

Naturally, we'll all be eyeing "the curve", and I, for one, am being extra cautious, though unconfined.
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

2. Amen DesertBerean amen'd this post.
    tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    When I headed out to Church Sunday Morning, I was AMAZED at how crowded the roads were, as we have a major Houston-to-Austin route going through (or around) town. Pretty much bumper to bumper zinging by, headed who knows where.

Then we see the news reports of crowded beaches, bars, clubs, restaurants.

For good or for bad, it's looking like this Memorial Day weekend was "Independence Day" for a whole bunch of people who decided not to be "locked down" any longer.

Naturally, we'll all be eyeing "the curve", and I, for one, am being extra cautious, though unconfined.
    The extra caution will help, but the people refusing to wear masks and gathering in large crowds will not. The virus is a natural thing. It does what it does. Just like gravity, or radiation. The sort of magical, partisan thinking driving a good bit of this is just about as effective as donning wax wings before jumping off a cliff.
    Last edited by oxmixmudd; 05-26-2020 at 10:36 PM.
    He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me."

"So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets"

4. Amen Charles amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by oxmixmudd View Post
    The extra caution will help, but the people refusing to wear masks and gathering in large crowds will not. The virus is a natural thing. It does what it does. Just like gravity, or radiation. The sort of magical, partisan thinking driving a good bit of this is just about as effective as donning wax wings before jumping off a cliff.
    As usual, you are incapable of thinking that any position but your own could be reasonable, or held by someone on reasonable grounds. You come across like one of those Christians who think that simply being a Christian confers moral authority on their opinions. Sigh.
    ...>>> Witty remark or snarky quote of another poster goes here <<<...

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    There's partisan thinking on both sides of this, Jim, including Nutty Nancy and her ilk wanting to fund and reward all her nutty programs and supporters with money from the public trust, using this crisis as her excuse.

IF the politicians were actually targeting the virus itself, that'd be one thing - but they're engaging in gross incompetence with fearmongering and deceit to raise money for themselves and their supporters. Forgive me if I'm not falling for that.
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

7. Amen RumTumTugger amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    People here were shooting off fireworks too.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I thought you and CP agreed to avoid interacting with each other? If so, you shouldn't be posting in his threads.

Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    According to Trump it was have a "Happy Memorial Day."
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    People here were shooting off fireworks too.
    It wasn't the fireworks that kept me awake until 1AM (I can sleep through that or the worst thunderstorm) when I have to get up before 3 for work. It was all the screaming kids.

So for the next couple of days as I left for work at 3:30 I rolled down my windows and cranked my radio up full blast (it causes the windows of the buildings to vibrate) for a couple minutes before leaving.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    I thought you and CP agreed to avoid interacting with each other? If so, you shouldn't be posting in his threads.
    Naw, we're trying again. So far, no problem.

13. Amen Sparko amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by shunyadragon View Post
    According to Trump it was have a "Happy Memorial Day."
    You, on the other hand, walked around in sorrow all day? I agree that "Happy Memorial Day" is weird, because of what Memorial Day represents, however....

We do the flag raising at dawn, briskly raising the flag, then lowering it to half staff.
    At noon, the flag goes to full staff.

That evening, my family came over and we ate ham sliders with all the fixin's and played board games. It was a very HAPPY memorial day.

That doesn't detract from the fact that we paid homage to those who gave their all, then enjoyed the freedom for which they paid so dearly.

But still.... I think "Happy Memorial Day" is odd, and try to avoid that.