Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Memorial Day Weekend was Independence Day?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Memorial Day Weekend was Independence Day?

When I headed out to Church Sunday Morning, I was AMAZED at how crowded the roads were, as we have a major Houston-to-Austin route going through (or around) town. Pretty much bumper to bumper zinging by, headed who knows where.

Then we see the news reports of crowded beaches, bars, clubs, restaurants.

For good or for bad, it's looking like this Memorial Day weekend was "Independence Day" for a whole bunch of people who decided not to be "locked down" any longer.

Naturally, we'll all be eyeing "the curve", and I, for one, am being extra cautious, though unconfined.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    When I headed out to Church Sunday Morning, I was AMAZED at how crowded the roads were, as we have a major Houston-to-Austin route going through (or around) town. Pretty much bumper to bumper zinging by, headed who knows where.

Then we see the news reports of crowded beaches, bars, clubs, restaurants.

For good or for bad, it's looking like this Memorial Day weekend was "Independence Day" for a whole bunch of people who decided not to be "locked down" any longer.

Naturally, we'll all be eyeing "the curve", and I, for one, am being extra cautious, though unconfined.
    The extra caution will help, but the people refusing to wear masks and gathering in large crowds will not. The virus is a natural thing. It does what it does. Just like gravity, or radiation. The sort of magical, partisan thinking driving a good bit of this is just about as effective as donning wax wings before jumping off a cliff.
    Last edited by oxmixmudd; 05-27-2020, 12:36 AM.
    My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
      The extra caution will help, but the people refusing to wear masks and gathering in large crowds will not. The virus is a natural thing. It does what it does. Just like gravity, or radiation. The sort of magical, partisan thinking driving a good bit of this is just about as effective as donning wax wings before jumping off a cliff.
      As usual, you are incapable of thinking that any position but your own could be reasonable, or held by someone on reasonable grounds. You come across like one of those Christians who think that simply being a Christian confers moral authority on their opinions. Sigh.
      ...>>> Witty remark or snarky quote of another poster goes here <<<...

Comment

There's partisan thinking on both sides of this, Jim, including Nutty Nancy and her ilk wanting to fund and reward all her nutty programs and supporters with money from the public trust, using this crisis as her excuse.

IF the politicians were actually targeting the virus itself, that'd be one thing - but they're engaging in gross incompetence with fearmongering and deceit to raise money for themselves and their supporters. Forgive me if I'm not falling for that.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

People here were shooting off fireworks too.

Comment

I thought you and CP agreed to avoid interacting with each other? If so, you shouldn't be posting in his threads.

Comment

According to Trump it was have a "Happy Memorial Day."
              Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
              Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
              But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                People here were shooting off fireworks too.
                It wasn't the fireworks that kept me awake until 1AM (I can sleep through that or the worst thunderstorm) when I have to get up before 3 for work. It was all the screaming kids.

So for the next couple of days as I left for work at 3:30 I rolled down my windows and cranked my radio up full blast (it causes the windows of the buildings to vibrate) for a couple minutes before leaving.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I thought you and CP agreed to avoid interacting with each other? If so, you shouldn't be posting in his threads.
                  Naw, we're trying again. So far, no problem.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                    According to Trump it was have a "Happy Memorial Day."
                    You, on the other hand, walked around in sorrow all day? I agree that "Happy Memorial Day" is weird, because of what Memorial Day represents, however....

We do the flag raising at dawn, briskly raising the flag, then lowering it to half staff.
                    At noon, the flag goes to full staff.

That evening, my family came over and we ate ham sliders with all the fixin's and played board games. It was a very HAPPY memorial day.

That doesn't detract from the fact that we paid homage to those who gave their all, then enjoyed the freedom for which they paid so dearly.

But still.... I think "Happy Memorial Day" is odd, and try to avoid that.

Comment

Originally posted by MaxVel View Post
                      As usual, you are incapable of thinking that any position but your own could be reasonable, or held by someone on reasonable grounds. You come across like one of those Christians who think that simply being a Christian confers moral authority on their opinions. Sigh.
                      This has nothing to do with morality. To reply to that post as you did it only reveals your own heart full of disdain for me personally. Look at what you did max. I made a comment about the reality of a situation : a virus spreads like it spreads. People are reacting to the virus based not on that reality but on what they wish to be true. I said acting on wishes in that case is foolish.

Now you come back with a nasty personal attack on me, not any sort of discussion of whether or not the reaction is in sync with reality or not.

If you have a conscience, you owe me an apology. That was nothing more than spite.
                      My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                        There's partisan thinking on both sides of this, Jim, including Nutty Nancy and her ilk wanting to fund and reward all her nutty programs and supporters with money from the public trust, using this crisis as her excuse.

IF the politicians were actually targeting the virus itself, that'd be one thing - but they're engaging in gross incompetence with fearmongering and deceit to raise money for themselves and their supporters. Forgive me if I'm not falling for that.
                        So, I'm just addressing the issue of people gathering in large spaces without regard for how the virus spreads, without regard for the fact is spreads when no symptoms are present, without regard for how hard it was to turn the tide on its spread the first time. So the partisan element of that part is that which downplays the science and gives people permission to do that. While there may well be other issues where partisanship is taking us a wrong direction, the immediate danger represented by how people acted on memorial day is a physical one that is governed by the natural characteristics of the virus.

Comment

CP decided he was ready for meaningful discussion and replied to a post of mine to another person saying so. So far it has been fine.

Comment

I think one of the major problems is incredibly inconsistent information from "the experts".

Don't wear masks - they don't help - masks are vital, they'll protect you - OK, masks don't protect you, they protect others from you - 6' is adequate for social distancing - OK, 6' is not enough if you're singing or doing "congregational prayer" (whatever that is) - social distancing works - except in church - and businesses have to close - except Walmart and Home Depot and Krogers and other stuff we deem "essential" - the lockdown is to flatten the curve - no, the lockdown is to keep the hospitals from being overrun - we need THOUSANDS AND THOUSANDS of ventilators - OK, ventilators not nearly as scarce as the fearmongering suggested - oh, lockdown should stay til a vaccine is discovered - ok, not just discovered, but everybody needs to be vaccinated, THEN the lockdown can end - there will be MILLIONS of death - OK, maybe thousands.... - we need TRILLIONS OF DOLLARS, much of which will go to reward our supporters and other incredibly nutty liberal crap...

The Fearmongering has been OVER THE TOP. This has been a case of "never let a good crisis go to waste" on steroids.

I think this is why so many people are just tossing this whole thing out the window and going back to live as normal (or as close to it as they can get)

Comment

This has nothing to do with morality. To reply to that post as you did it only reveals your own heart full of disdain for me personally. Look at what you did max. I made a comment about the reality of a situation : a virus spreads like it spreads. People are reacting to the virus based not on that reality but on what they wish to be true. I said acting on wishes in that case is foolish.

Now you come back with a nasty personal attack on me, not any sort of discussion of whether or not the reaction is in sync with reality or not.

If you have a conscience, you owe me an apology. That was nothing more than spite.

Ox, I admit I can no longer take you seriously. You tend to attribute the worst motives to anyone who disagrees with you, and you tend to broadbrush and use loaded language to describe people whose opinions differ from yours. That's my observation, based on reading too many of your posts. So I allowed that to colour my reading of your post.

Originally posted by oxmixmudd
                              The sort of magical, partisan thinking driving a good bit of this is just about as effective as donning wax wings before jumping off a cliff.
                              While I missed the qualifier ('a good bit of this') which softens your statement somewhat, how is this not a disdainful broadbrush attack on people who may have all sorts of reasons for going out and on with their lives?
                              ...>>> Witty remark or snarky quote of another poster goes here <<<...

Comment