Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Coverage of NASA's SpaceX Demo-2 Mission Launch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UHOH!!!! Tornado WARNING announced for Broward County!

Otherwise, all systems go, less than three hours remaining.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      UHOH!!!! Tornado WARNING announced for Broward County!

Otherwise, all systems go, less than three hours remaining.
      Maybe they'll just fly away from it.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
        Maybe they'll just fly away from it.
        Such things are not unusual in Florida, and usually short-lived. But the launch protocol is VERY tight with regard to wind and rain.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Such things are not unusual in Florida, and usually short-lived. But the launch protocol is VERY tight with regard to wind and rain.
          We shall see. It was a nice speech from Bridenstine and Musk about getting people fired up about space again.

Comment

Awww, but safety first is important. It was the right decision to cancel it.

Comment

Awww, but safety first is important. It was the right decision to cancel it.
              Yup, but I learned a few things --- the rocket itself is far more tested than I realized, and there are numerous abort opportunities that the Apollo missions never had.

SpaceX's Crew Dragon abort test was 'picture-perfect,' Elon Musk says

See ya back here on Saturday, Leon?

Comment

Instantaneous launch windows are tough. Can't wait for the weather to improve, can't confirm a sensor is faulty, etc. - everything has to be perfect. I wonder how wide the window on Saturday is.

EDIT: just confirmed with my source on these things that all windows for launches to the ISS are instantaneous, so it's not going to get any easier.
                Last edited by TheLurch; 05-27-2020, 04:17 PM.
                "Any sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from trolling."

Comment

Yup, but I learned a few things --- the rocket itself is far more tested than I realized, and there are numerous abort opportunities that the Apollo missions never had.

SpaceX's Crew Dragon abort test was 'picture-perfect,' Elon Musk says

See ya back here on Saturday, Leon?
                  You bet

Comment

Originally posted by TheLurch View Post
                    Instantaneous launch windows are tough. Can't wait for the weather to improve, can't confirm a sensor is faulty, etc. - everything has to be perfect. I wonder how wide the window on Saturday is.

EDIT: just confirmed with my source on these things that all windows for launches to the ISS are instantaneous, so it's not going to get any easier.
                    Yup, when the do the "round robin" checking with all stations about "go / no go", plus the weather, plus instrumentation..... yeah, a WHOLE lot has to go right to "light that candle".

Comment

Good to see you!!!!

Comment

Yup, when the do the "round robin" checking with all stations about "go / no go", plus the weather, plus instrumentation..... yeah, a WHOLE lot has to go right to "light that candle".
                        I think the Tropical Storm was quite responsible for the scrubbing. I'm hoping for an excellent launch on Saturday.
                        A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
                        George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Good to see you!!!!
                          You as well. Like the new profile image.

I'm usually around in one way or another. Whether the version of "around" i happen to be in means i've got the time to put any thought into something i write varies a great deal, though.
                          "Any sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from trolling."

Comment

You as well. Like the new profile image.

I'm usually around in one way or another. Whether the version of "around" i happen to be in means i've got the time to put any thought into something i write varies a great deal, though.
                            Well, I've always found you to be reasonable, don't always agree with you, but always glad to see you.

Comment

Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
                              I think the Tropical Storm was quite responsible for the scrubbing. I'm hoping for an excellent launch on Saturday.
                              So far, it's not looking so good - but then there's Tuesday.

Comment

They look sleek and amazing, but getting details about them has been difficult. The orange suits were very well documented, and had a lot of features such as the ability to act like floatation devices and keeping astronauts alive at sea in case of a landing there. It remains to be seen whether the new suits are up to spec, but NASA has gone with them so they probably pass muster!
                                Here are a few articles about them:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/27/f...gon-Suits.html

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-52787365

https://www.space.com/spacex-crew-dr...explained.html

Interesting tidbit:

If it looks like the spacesuit is built for a movie set, that could be because the suit designer is legendary Hollywood costume designer Jose Fernandez, who is known for costumes in blockbusters such as "Wonder Woman," "Wolverine," "Batman vs. Superman" and "Captain America: Civil War."
                                Last edited by Sparko; 05-28-2020, 08:32 AM.

Comment