Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 76

Thread: Coverage of NASA's SpaceX Demo-2 Mission Launch

  1. #1
    See, the Thing is... Cow Poke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Republic of Texas
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    64,864
    Amen (Given)
    14053
    Amen (Received)
    28911

    Coverage of NASA's SpaceX Demo-2 Mission Launch

    The very best to these brave astronauts!


    More details here as it unfolds....


    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

  2. #2
    Technology Staff Leonhard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Denmark - Jutland
    Faith
    Catholic
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    6,864
    Amen (Given)
    1125
    Amen (Received)
    3487
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    The very best to these brave astronauts!


    More details here as it unfolds....


    I'll be watching it live with several coworkers.

  3. #3
    See, the Thing is... Cow Poke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Republic of Texas
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    64,864
    Amen (Given)
    14053
    Amen (Received)
    28911
    Quote Originally Posted by Leonhard View Post
    I'll be watching it live with several coworkers.
    And hoping/praying for the best.

    I just heard a marine fighter pilot quip..... "No pilot wants to fly "model A" of any plane, but test pilots love it!"


    (to the aeronautically impaired, military aircraft are designated with a letter that shows what level of advancement the plane is --- P51-D --- would indicate that plane has been through several versions and is deemed reliable)
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

  4. #4
    Technology Staff Leonhard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Denmark - Jutland
    Faith
    Catholic
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    6,864
    Amen (Given)
    1125
    Amen (Received)
    3487
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    And hoping/praying for the best.

    I just heard a marine fighter pilot quip..... "No pilot wants to fly "model A" of any plane, but test pilots love it!"


    (to the aeronautically impaired, military aircraft are designated with a letter that shows what level of advancement the plane is --- P51-D --- would indicate that plane has been through several versions and is deemed reliable)
    It's going to be exciting. I'm glad NASA is going all out on the live streaming.

  5. Amen Cow Poke amen'd this post.
  6. #5
    See, the Thing is... Cow Poke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Republic of Texas
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    64,864
    Amen (Given)
    14053
    Amen (Received)
    28911
    Quote Originally Posted by Leonhard View Post
    It's going to be exciting. I'm glad NASA is going all out on the live streaming.
    I love the new Astronaut Suits --- much less Apollo looking and much more Star Wars looking!
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

  7. Amen Leonhard amen'd this post.
  8. #6
    Technology Staff Leonhard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Denmark - Jutland
    Faith
    Catholic
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    6,864
    Amen (Given)
    1125
    Amen (Received)
    3487
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    I love the new Astronaut Suits --- much less Apollo looking and much more Star Wars looking!
    They look sleek and amazing, but getting details about them has been difficult. The orange suits were very well documented, and had a lot of features such as the ability to act like floatation devices and keeping astronauts alive at sea in case of a landing there. It remains to be seen whether the new suits are up to spec, but NASA has gone with them so they probably pass muster!

  9. #7
    See, the Thing is... Cow Poke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Republic of Texas
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    64,864
    Amen (Given)
    14053
    Amen (Received)
    28911
    Quote Originally Posted by Leonhard View Post
    They look sleek and amazing, but getting details about them has been difficult. The orange suits were very well documented, and had a lot of features such as the ability to act like floatation devices and keeping astronauts alive at sea in case of a landing there. It remains to be seen whether the new suits are up to spec, but NASA has gone with them so they probably pass muster!
    Speaking of "at sea", apparently one of their biggest concerns is the seasickness that they'll feel bobbing around in the water after weightlessness.
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

  10. #8
    Technology Staff Leonhard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Denmark - Jutland
    Faith
    Catholic
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    6,864
    Amen (Given)
    1125
    Amen (Received)
    3487
    One of the things I love about this project is that it's the kind of cooperation between governments and private companies that we love in my country. NASA has provided the mission profile and funded the bill, but it's been private companies developing the technology and launching the rockets. This has allowed a lot more innovation, than if NASA had also designed the rocket. SpaceX managed to crack the problem of reusing the first stage of the rocket, which is amazing.

  11. Amen Cow Poke amen'd this post.
  12. #9
    Technology Staff Leonhard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Denmark - Jutland
    Faith
    Catholic
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    6,864
    Amen (Given)
    1125
    Amen (Received)
    3487
    Ooo they're talking about the suits now!

  13. Amen Cow Poke amen'd this post.
  14. #10
    See, the Thing is... Cow Poke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Republic of Texas
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    64,864
    Amen (Given)
    14053
    Amen (Received)
    28911
    Quote Originally Posted by Leonhard View Post
    One of the things I love about this project is that it's the kind of cooperation between governments and private companies that we love in my country. NASA has provided the mission profile and funded the bill, but it's been private companies developing the technology and launching the rockets. This has allowed a lot more innovation, than if NASA had also designed the rocket. SpaceX managed to crack the problem of reusing the first stage of the rocket, which is amazing.
    I loved that about military aircraft - that Northrup and Boeing and North American and other companies actually competed in design competition, risking their own futures to secure a contract to build the nation's next fighter, bomber, pursuit plane, etc...
    Competition is a wonderful thing!
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •