Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Coverage of NASA's SpaceX Demo-2 Mission Launch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coverage of NASA's SpaceX Demo-2 Mission Launch

The very best to these brave astronauts!

More details here as it unfolds....

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    The very best to these brave astronauts!

More details here as it unfolds....

I'll be watching it live with several coworkers.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
      I'll be watching it live with several coworkers.
      And hoping/praying for the best.

I just heard a marine fighter pilot quip..... "No pilot wants to fly "model A" of any plane, but test pilots love it!"

(to the aeronautically impaired, military aircraft are designated with a letter that shows what level of advancement the plane is --- P51-D --- would indicate that plane has been through several versions and is deemed reliable)
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

And hoping/praying for the best.

I just heard a marine fighter pilot quip..... "No pilot wants to fly "model A" of any plane, but test pilots love it!"

(to the aeronautically impaired, military aircraft are designated with a letter that shows what level of advancement the plane is --- P51-D --- would indicate that plane has been through several versions and is deemed reliable)
        It's going to be exciting. I'm glad NASA is going all out on the live streaming.

Comment

It's going to be exciting. I'm glad NASA is going all out on the live streaming.
          I love the new Astronaut Suits --- much less Apollo looking and much more Star Wars looking!

Comment

I love the new Astronaut Suits --- much less Apollo looking and much more Star Wars looking!
            They look sleek and amazing, but getting details about them has been difficult. The orange suits were very well documented, and had a lot of features such as the ability to act like floatation devices and keeping astronauts alive at sea in case of a landing there. It remains to be seen whether the new suits are up to spec, but NASA has gone with them so they probably pass muster!

Comment

They look sleek and amazing, but getting details about them has been difficult. The orange suits were very well documented, and had a lot of features such as the ability to act like floatation devices and keeping astronauts alive at sea in case of a landing there. It remains to be seen whether the new suits are up to spec, but NASA has gone with them so they probably pass muster!
              Speaking of "at sea", apparently one of their biggest concerns is the seasickness that they'll feel bobbing around in the water after weightlessness.

Comment

One of the things I love about this project is that it's the kind of cooperation between governments and private companies that we love in my country. NASA has provided the mission profile and funded the bill, but it's been private companies developing the technology and launching the rockets. This has allowed a lot more innovation, than if NASA had also designed the rocket. SpaceX managed to crack the problem of reusing the first stage of the rocket, which is amazing.

Comment

Ooo they're talking about the suits now!

Comment

One of the things I love about this project is that it's the kind of cooperation between governments and private companies that we love in my country. NASA has provided the mission profile and funded the bill, but it's been private companies developing the technology and launching the rockets. This has allowed a lot more innovation, than if NASA had also designed the rocket. SpaceX managed to crack the problem of reusing the first stage of the rocket, which is amazing.
                    I loved that about military aircraft - that Northrup and Boeing and North American and other companies actually competed in design competition, risking their own futures to secure a contract to build the nation's next fighter, bomber, pursuit plane, etc...
                    Competition is a wonderful thing!

Comment

The TESLA parade!!!

Comment

I loved that about military aircraft - that Northrup and Boeing and North American and other companies actually competed in design competition, risking their own futures to secure a contract to build the nation's next fighter, bomber, pursuit plane, etc...
                        Competition is a wonderful thing!
                        It's how you do it.

I also enjoy that Russia's Cosmodrome and USA's NASA have an agreement on sharing rides in the future.

Comment

It's how you do it.

I also enjoy that Russia's Cosmodrome and USA's NASA have an agreement on sharing rides in the future.
                          I'm just glad the Russians will no longer have a monopoly on space flight, and we'll actually be able to help each other should there be a reason to delay either country's flight, for example, to supply the Space Shuttle.

Comment

I'm just glad the Russians will no longer have a monopoly on space flight, and we'll actually be able to help each other should there be a reason to delay either country's flight, for example, to supply the Space Shuttle.
                            The new capsule looks super sleek.

Comment

The new capsule looks super sleek.
                              I used to get the willies when I visited the Johnson Space Center in Houston, where you could actually stick your head in the capsule and see the incredibly tight confines that would house two or three men. I'm claustrophobic.

Yeah, this thing looks sleek and even comfy!!! No doubt, that has a lot to do with miniaturization of computers, components, and new alloys in metal, along with other composite materials.

Comment