Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Coverage of NASA's SpaceX Demo-2 Mission Launch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Well, I've always found you to be reasonable, don't always agree with you, but always glad to see you.
    If you always agreed with me, i think you'd be me. And i think we can all agree that having one of me is more than enough.
    "Any sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from trolling."

Comment

Originally posted by TheLurch View Post
      If you always agreed with me, i think you'd be me. And i think we can all agree that having one of me is more than enough.
      Reminds me of momma saying "Thank the Good Lord you're not twins!"
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        Here are a few articles about them:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/27/f...gon-Suits.html

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-52787365

https://www.space.com/spacex-crew-dr...explained.html

Interesting tidbit:

If it looks like the spacesuit is built for a movie set, that could be because the suit designer is legendary Hollywood costume designer Jose Fernandez, who is known for costumes in blockbusters such as "Wonder Woman," "Wolverine," "Batman vs. Superman" and "Captain America: Civil War."
        I'm curious about how they compare against the old orange suits. I've yet to find good specs on them though.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
          I'm curious about how they compare against the old orange suits. I've yet to find good specs on them though.
          I think I found a good source, and explains that these are not the "astronaut suits" like for EVA and such, but just for use in the pressurized cabin....

Up close with the fresh new spacesuits astronauts will soon wear in orbit for the first time

suits.jpg

Inside the first American spacecraft to take humans to orbit since the Space Shuttle, launching today, are, well, humans. And those humans are wearing brand new spacesuits that are also making a historic debut. Ahead of today’s launch (which you can watch here), NASA and SpaceX gave a fresh look at the new suits, which we may be seeing much more of soon.

The spacesuits were designed by SpaceX in collaboration with NASA and the astronauts going up today, Bob Behnken and Doug Hurley. They’re intended to bring modern materials and technology to a comfortable form factor that integrates seamlessly with the Crew Dragon capsule.

These aren’t, it is important to note, a replacement for the familiar EVA suits that have been in use for decades, though those are also being redesigned in-house. The ones Behnken and Hurley will wear are pressure suits, akin to what fighter-jet pilots wear. These custom-fitted garments are meant to provide protection against the dangers of launch, including brief periods of vacuum or high heat, but not outer space.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I think I found a good source, and explains that these are not the "astronaut suits" like for EVA and such, but just for use in the pressurized cabin....

Up close with the fresh new spacesuits astronauts will soon wear in orbit for the first time

[ATTACH=CONFIG]45073[/ATTACH]

Inside the first American spacecraft to take humans to orbit since the Space Shuttle, launching today, are, well, humans. And those humans are wearing brand new spacesuits that are also making a historic debut. Ahead of today’s launch (which you can watch here), NASA and SpaceX gave a fresh look at the new suits, which we may be seeing much more of soon.

The spacesuits were designed by SpaceX in collaboration with NASA and the astronauts going up today, Bob Behnken and Doug Hurley. They’re intended to bring modern materials and technology to a comfortable form factor that integrates seamlessly with the Crew Dragon capsule.

These aren’t, it is important to note, a replacement for the familiar EVA suits that have been in use for decades, though those are also being redesigned in-house. The ones Behnken and Hurley will wear are pressure suits, akin to what fighter-jet pilots wear. These custom-fitted garments are meant to provide protection against the dangers of launch, including brief periods of vacuum or high heat, but not outer space.
            They need either some wider side stripes or something on the chest. It makes them look fat.

suit.jpg

They need to hire me.

Comment

The new suits look like Halloween astronaut costumes you got on the discount rack.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

True, but I was thinking of the orange pressure suits that the astronauts typically wore. There's a lot of testing and experience that went into those. I'm sure NASA wouldn't let them get away with sacrificing too much safety for style.

One of the ways they made them less bulky was by having the capsule act as life support, whereas a lot of those features were integrated into the orange suits. That's a compromise, but it might be a sensible one, since capsules almost never fail.

Comment

True, but I was thinking of the orange pressure suits that the astronauts typically wore. There's a lot of testing and experience that went into those. I'm sure NASA wouldn't let them get away with sacrificing too much safety for style.

One of the ways they made them less bulky was by having the capsule act as life support, whereas a lot of those features were integrated into the orange suits. That's a compromise, but it might be a sensible one, since capsules almost never fail.

SpaceX's suits do work in a vacuum. They just wouldn't be radiation safe or keep them warm very long in open space. And of course the Oxygen has to be piped in, but that is the same on the orange suits. I think functionally they are equivalent. The orange color is mostly just for visibility in case they have to abandon the capsule in the ocean, and I think they have inflatable bladders in them (I could be wrong about that)

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                    The new suits look like Halloween astronaut costumes you got on the discount rack.
                    It looks like they're going for the Star Wars Storm Trooper look.

storm trooper.jpgsuits.jpg

Comment

It looks like they're going for the Star Wars Storm Trooper look.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]45084[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]45085[/ATTACH]
                      Yeah. That's the look that you want to emulate.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                        Yeah. That's the look that you want to emulate.
                        Git out of my thredd, or their will be HECK to pay. HECK!!!! You GOT THAT?

Comment

Git out of my thredd, or their will be HECK to pay. HECK!!!! You GOT THAT?
                          If that was the inspiration then it's like the Obamessiah's much ballyhooed but very short-lived[1] slogan "Win the Future."

Not very well thought out.

1. The time it lasted after someone noticed the acronym can likely be measured in minutes if not seconds

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                            SpaceX's suits do work in a vacuum. They just wouldn't be radiation safe or keep them warm very long in open space. And of course the Oxygen has to be piped in, but that is the same on the orange suits. I think functionally they are equivalent. The orange color is mostly just for visibility in case they have to abandon the capsule in the ocean, and I think they have inflatable bladders in them (I could be wrong about that)
                            They do work in vacuum, but I still want all the tech specs such as we know from the orange suits. And yeah the orange suits have floatation bladders and minor life support systems in them. They're not good for EVA, but they are rated to keep astronauts alive for hours if they ditch into the ocean, or if the shuttle lost air.

Comment

Blue skies today! It's looking very favorable.

Comment

Blue skies today! It's looking very favorable.
                                The Florida weather was crystal blue and now it's completely overcast in under an hour.

Comment