Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

100,000 Americans have died from coronavirus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 100,000 Americans have died from coronavirus

So, the president claimed he had it all under control, but:

It didn’t take much longer than 100 days for the coronavirus to claim the lives of 100,000 Americans, an unimaginable toll when the first death from COVID-19 took place in the U.S., believed to have been Feb. 6 in California. https://eu.usatoday.com/story/news/n...fe/5225436002/
    USA TODAY consulted experts in a variety of fields, including public health, business, history, social sciences and the hospitality industry, to get an assessment of what the new normal may look like in the next 100 days.

The consensus: It’s going to be a bumpy ride. https://eu.usatoday.com/story/news/n...fe/5225436002/
    No wonder Trump is having problems with fact checks since his statements with reagard to this extremely serious situation were obviously wrong. And in order to take focus away he continues to make more false statements while human lives are lost.
    "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Originally posted by Charles View Post

No wonder Trump is having problems with fact checks since his statements with reagard to this extremely serious situation were obviously wrong. And in order to take focus away he continues to make more false statements while human lives are lost.
    Lacks a point of comparison, so doesn't really show anything.

We don't know how many would have died in different circumstances, and we don't know what the final outcome will be - that's probably many months or even years away.

Once the pandemic is finally actually over, we can add up deaths + deaths from damage to economy + deaths from lockdown issues + all other negatives related to the pandemic and then start to get some idea of how various countries have performed.

Even then, there are so many differences between countries that it won't really be comparing apples with apples.

How many will die because of Trump ordering churches opened?

How many would die if he said to keep them closed?

No-one has any solid idea of either number, just estimates based on models based on assumptions.
    ...>>> Witty remark or snarky quote of another poster goes here <<<...

Comment

Died from, or died with?
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
        Died from, or died with?
        Wife: Honey, do you think I've gotten fat and flabby over this lockdown?
        Husband: You weren't that way BEFORE the lockdown?

Husband's funeral service will be Tuesday at 1PM
        Cause of death --- Covid.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          Wife: Honey, do you think I've gotten fat and flabby over this lockdown?
          Husband: You weren't that way BEFORE the lockdown?

Husband's funeral service will be Tuesday at 1PM
          Cause of death --- Covid.

Elderly couple, in church. Wife whispers to husband "I've just done a silent fart. What should I do?"

Husband "Put a new battery in your hearing aid."
          ...>>> Witty remark or snarky quote of another poster goes here <<<...

Comment

Originally posted by MaxVel View Post
            Elderly couple, in church. Wife whispers to husband "I've just done a silent fart. What should I do?"

Husband "Put a new battery in your hearing aid."
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

They were saying that we could reach 100,000 at least a month ago but hoped they wouldn't. They also said without the measures taken, we could have had 1.2 million deaths.

Comment

Actually I think virus fatigue has set in and people care less about death tolls than they did. I've noticed for about a week on my local 6pm news more often than not coronavirus isn't the lead story.
                "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
                  Actually I think virus fatigue has set in and people care less about death tolls than they did. I've noticed for about a week on my local 6pm news more often than not coronavirus isn't the lead story.
                  As I said in my thread aptly named, for good or bad, I think Memorial Day became Independence Day for the confined.

Comment

Originally posted by MaxVel View Post
                    Lacks a point of comparison, so doesn't really show anything.

We don't know how many would have died in different circumstances, and we don't know what the final outcome will be - that's probably many months or even years away.

Once the pandemic is finally actually over, we can add up deaths + deaths from damage to economy + deaths from lockdown issues + all other negatives related to the pandemic and then start to get some idea of how various countries have performed.

Even then, there are so many differences between countries that it won't really be comparing apples with apples.

How many will die because of Trump ordering churches opened?

How many would die if he said to keep them closed?

No-one has any solid idea of either number, just estimates based on models based on assumptions.
                    The point is in Charles first sentence. "The President claimed he had it all under control." And yet the control he had was in doing nothing but talk. He claimed it would, like a miracle, just disappear. He claimed we have 15 cases now, in a week we'll have ZERO. We now, just 3+ months later have over 1.7 millon confirmed cases and over 100,000 deaths. He claimed he had sufficient testing, we still don't. The CDC, OSHA and the FDA, under his dictatorial control, have virtually been missing in action. And now, even though the spike in the country as a whole is rising, still lacking the testing crucially needed to contain, he wants to open up the economy. Then he constantly lies in order to cover up his ineptitude, his inaction, while the professionals in his own Administration are then forced to contradict him. The president doesn't get to Monday morning quaterback, he is the quaterback, he lost the game and needs to be removed in November for the disaster he allowed to happen, as well as for other reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                      They were saying that we could reach 100,000 at least a month ago but hoped they wouldn't. They also said without the measures taken, we could have had 1.2 million deaths.
                      "They" did? Trump says that constantantly. We keep passing his predictions, his first being 15, and just now past his last prediction of 100,000.
                      Last edited by JimL; 05-28-2020, 10:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
                        The point is in Charles first sentence. "The President claimed he had it all under control."
                        Well, yeah, I think Charles is playing loose with the truth, because the actual objectionable quote was not....

When, I believe the actual quote was...

"It's a very contagious virus. It's incredible. But it's something we have tremendous control of"

"we", not "he". Let's tell the truth when complaining about a lie.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                          Well, yeah, I think Charles is playing loose with the truth, because the actual objectionable quote was not....

When, I believe the actual quote was...

"It's a very contagious virus. It's incredible. But it's something we have tremendous control of"

"we", not "he". Let's tell the truth when complaining about a lie.
                          "We" means His Administration.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
                            "We" means His Administration.
                            Yeah, which is not "he". Thanks for your help, bruh! We'll get that ol' rascal Charles after all!!!!

Comment

Cases are exploding in Alabama. Yikes.

alabama.jpg

Comment