Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Riots over cop killing a man begging for his life

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Riots over cop killing a man begging for his life

So apparently a man by the name of George Floyd was killed by a cop, who had his knee to the man's neck. The man (George Floyd) repeated that he couldn't breathe, but the pressure was not released. And the cop who killed him apparently has a huge rap sheet for killing minorities. I'm looking it up as I go at the moment, still trying to find all the details.

Mass riots in response in Minneapolis, ongoing as we speak.

This has been circulating regarding the cop in question, who has been recently arrested.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EZH067kW...jpg&name=small
    • The restraint technique used by Chauvin to kill Floyd was not part of the department's training.
    • Being represented by Tom KLelly, the same attorney who got officer Jeronimo Yanez (who killed Philandro Castile) acquitted.
    • Derek Chauvin was put on leave in 2011 for an inappropriate police shooting of Alaskan Native American, Leroy Martinez
    • Chauvin shot Ira Latrell Toles, an unarmed black 21 year old man in 2008
    • Chauvin was one of the officers who killed Wayne Reyes, a latino man with 16 bullets shot into him (42 rounds spent total)
    • Chauvin and another officer were chasing a car in 2006 causing the death of three people according to Communities United Against Police Brutality.
    • There are 12 Police brutality complaints against Chauvin in the Minneapolis Office of Police Conduct complaint database. They are all listed as "closed", "non-public" and "no-discipline"

Right now I am not sure about of these facts in circulation, I'm waiting to see what comes along. Have any of you heard anything?
    Last edited by Leonhard; 05-29-2020, 01:46 PM.

He has been arrested on charges of manslaughter now.

Comment

I'm shocked by how many normally sober minded people I know of who are justifying violence in this case. I've seen a lot of reference to Malcolm X's strategies (one from a black co worker who is outright calling for people to go out and fight). It's actually now considered racist to oppose that.

What's notable is that I've seen not a single person offer any word of justification for the officer (other than apparently one random Mississippi police chief who said the officer was in the right).

Both propositions can be right. Lives are more important than property, ultimately. I just hope nobody else loses theirs in the violence.
      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
        So apparently a man by the name of George Floyd was killed by a cop, who had his knee to the man's neck. The man (George Floyd) repeated that he couldn't breathe, but the pressure was not released. And the cop who killed him apparently has a huge rap sheet for killing minorities. I'm looking it up as I go at the moment, still trying to find all the details.

I have yet to hear anyone defend the actions of the cop. Most, including several retired law enforcement, have condemned him. Still I'm sure you can find exceptions although simply asking that all the evidence come in before pronouncing judgment is not the same as defending the actions of the cop (who was fired along with 3 others), after after the Covington kids and several other recent examples, not wanting to jump in when there is a rush to judgment is understandable.

As for me, from what I've seen, I think he oughta be arrested and charged with at least manslaughter.
        ETA: I can see from your second post that this has recently occurred.

And as for the riots, someone read a list of the businesses (most owned by blacks) that have been destroyed or severely damaged on the radio this morning. They made a point that it was likely longer since it was from early last night. Still it was long. 250 names.
        Last edited by rogue06; 05-29-2020, 01:53 PM.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

That's the thing. People are rioting over "nothing being done", but all four officers were fired even without an investigation, the guy's been arrested... what more do they want? Putting every police officer in front of a firing squad?
          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
            That's the thing. People are rioting over "nothing being done", but all four officers were fired even without an investigation, the guy's been arrested... what more do they want? Putting every police officer in front of a firing squad?
            They want the good cops to call this out publically. And they want reform on disciplinary action.

Comment

*Update; he's been charged with murder, not just manslaughter.
              https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/29/us/mi...day/index.html

Comment

The restraint technique used by Chauvin to kill Floyd was not part of the department's training.
                This has been a recurring point among those with law enforcement experience. That no department teaches this type of submission hold.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

This has been circulating regarding the cop in question, who has been recently arrested.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EZH067kW...jpg&name=small
                  • The restraint technique used by Chauvin to kill Floyd was not part of the department's training.
                  • Being represented by Tom KLelly, the same attorney who got officer Jeronimo Yanez (who killed Philandro Castile) acquitted.
                  • Derek Chauvin was put on leave in 2011 for an inappropriate police shooting of Alaskan Native American, Leroy Martinez
                  • Chauvin shot Ira Latrell Toles, an unarmed black 21 year old man in 2008
                  • Chauvin was one of the officers who killed Wayne Reyes, a latino man with 16 bullets shot into him (42 rounds spent total)
                  • Chauvin and another officer were chasing a car in 2006 causing the death of three people according to Communities United Against Police Brutality.
                  • There are 12 Police brutality complaints against Chauvin in the Minneapolis Office of Police Conduct complaint database. They are all listed as "closed", "non-public" and "no-discipline"

Right now I am not sure about of these facts in circulation, I'm waiting to see what comes along. Have any of you heard anything?
                  Apparently, Mr. Chauvin is being charged with 3rd Degree Murder over this. But yeah, I don't think there's anyone who's openly defended what these cops did. As for me? Well, it's murder, and the other three officers should also be charged alongside him.

... Of course, whether their Union will try to get them their jobs back is yet to be seen.

ETA: Looks like everyone else beat me to citing the fact he's been charged.
                  Have You Touched Grass Today? If Not, Please Do.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                    I have yet to hear anyone defend the actions of the cop. Most, including several retired law enforcement, have condemned him. Still I'm sure you can find exceptions although simply asking that all the evidence come in before pronouncing judgment is not the same as defending the actions of the cop (who was fired along with 3 others), after after the Covington kids and several other recent examples, not wanting to jump in when there is a rush to judgment is understandable.

As for me, from what I've seen, I think he oughta be arrested and charged with at least manslaughter.
                    ETA: I can see from your second post that this has recently occurred.

And as for the riots, someone read a list of the businesses (most owned by blacks) that have been destroyed or severely damaged on the radio this morning. They made a point that it was likely longer since it was from early last night. Still it was long. 250 names.
                    There was an instance where an alleged cop was found to be breaking windows on a business as an agent provocateur. I'll reserve a little judgement until this is 100% nailed down but he does have a pretty nice looking gas mask which I doubt many rioters have access to.

Comment

This has been a recurring point among those with law enforcement experience. That no department teaches this type of submission hold.
                      Not anymore, anyway.

At Hennepin Technical College, which trains about half of Minnesota’s police officers, students were taught to use a form of the technique until at least 2016, said Mylan Masson, a longtime Minneapolis police officer and former director of the college’s law enforcement and criminal justice education center.
                      https://www.startribune.com/law-enfo...ath/570787132/

Comment

There is a lot of pent up aggravation involved and being expressed. Not just any alleged grievances but the stress of being cooed up for months -- and Minnesota has some of the stricter enforced quarantine rules in place FWIU.

Saaaaaay, where is the outrage over all this blatant disregard for lack of social distancing? Are these rioters trying to kill gramma?

Comment

A "form of the technique" leaves a lot of room. It can be like saying that a neck hold is a form of "sleeper" hold (which can cause instantaneous unconsciousness and quickly be lethal).

Comment

A "form of the technique" leaves a lot of room. It can be like saying that a neck hold is a form of "sleeper" hold (which can cause instantaneous unconsciousness and quickly be lethal).
                            The article does go on to suggest that the technique as it was taught should only have been used long enough to subdue the suspect, yes.

Comment

And I wonder if anything had happened if what happened hadn't been recorded. Was it body cam, or a bystander?

Comment