Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Riots over cop killing a man begging for his life

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
    Understandable I think, in the light of such blatant police brutality.
    No, no, no. Just, no.

There is absolutely no excuse whatsoever for looting and burning down the businesses of innocent people (most of whom are also minorities[1]) just because you're pissed off at something the government did.

The fact is that with very few exceptions protests organized by the left almost inevitably turn into riots whereas those organized by the right very rarely if ever do so. Of course there are the few exceptions.

For example, just look at the difference between rallies that were organized by the Tea Party compared to those organized by Occupy.

The former were (and still are) vilified by the MSM as a bunch of wild-eyed, crazy radicals even though they were forced to wander around the perimeter hunting for some loon that they could portray as exemplifying the average Tea Party member, whereas the latter were described as "typical Americans" even though the violent nut jobs were more often than not those in charge and up on the podium giving speeches.

Often, when a Tea Party rally was over those in charge of the area where it was held (typically a park) would remark about how the participants tended to leave the area cleaner than how they found it. They made sure they cleaned up their trash and picked up any more that they came across. In stark contrast, the Occupy trashed buildings, burned cars, and left excrement and garbage everywhere.

For a more recent example, compare those where folks were protesting the extremely restrict of policies of the continued lockdown with the rioting we've seen in response to the senseless killing of Floyd. In the former case, where the protests were largely very peaceful, the MSM smeared the participants as "threatening" and called "racists" and compared to Nazis (just like the Tea Party was). Some in the media were even calling for them to be rounded up and arrested (like the Today show co-host Craig Melvin).

In sharp contrast, the MSM is bending over backwards trying to minimize the violence and destruction during the riots over Floyd's death. No better example of this can be provided than senior economic correspondent for NBC, Ali Velshi, declaring on MSNBC while he is standing in front of a freaking building that was set afire, that "I want to be clear on how I characterize this. This is mostly a protest. It is not generally speaking unruly."

Looks like someone is auditioning for the role of being the new Baghdad Bob.

And just to demonstrate that the above was not some bizarre outlier, on CNN, a senior writer for Sports Illustrated, L.Z. Granderson, was calling the rioting, arson and looting as patriotic proclaiming that is how America has always got things "done."

Finally, excusing this sort of behavior is an example of soft racism like where someone (typically a white liberal) says that they and their associates would never behave in such a manner but seek to rationalize allowing minorities to respond this way since, obviously, they're different and shouldn't be expected to control themselves. They just can't be held to the same standard. B.S.

1. Even the race pimp Al Sharpton has, after several decades of foisting that sort of response, has finally understood this. On Friday morning on MSNBC's Morning Joe Sharpton complained to the rioters that the goal of a fair criminal justice system wouldn't be achieved by "appearing" to be criminal themselves and then added "some of the stores that are being damaged are black-owned stores! So we cannot become so reckless that we are destroying each other in our rage."
    Last edited by rogue06; 05-30-2020, 01:25 PM.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

A lawyer friend of mine personally believes that first degree murder was warranted. However, she agrees with the decision to pursue third degree because it's nearly impossible to convince a jury to convict an officer for first, and just imagine how bad the reaction would be if he got acquitted...
      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Charges of murder and manslaughter and bond of $500,000 have been made.

https://trib.al/MoL1fei

I'm confused on the two charges of murder and manslaughter. Why both? They have different criteria.
        Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
          A lawyer friend of mine personally believes that first degree murder was warranted. However, she agrees with the decision to pursue third degree because it's nearly impossible to convince a jury to convict an officer for first, and just imagine how bad the reaction would be if he got acquitted...
          I wonder if the idea Floyd and Chauvin worked in the same establishment the same year and may have had prior encounters with each other changes the dynamic of that argument.
          Last edited by seanD; 05-30-2020, 01:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
            No, no, no. Just, no.
            People have a right and a moral duty to protest.

I have not, at any point said anything about the violent acts. However those events happening, does not permit the government to violently crack down on the peaceful protesters.

Comment

I have not, at any point said anything about the violent acts. However those events happening, does not permit the government to violently crack down on the peaceful protesters.
              I'm not following. They weren't peaceful.

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
                You will not be able to convince me that the majority of them were violently protesting. I'm sure the police were reporting it as that, but right now I wouldn't trust those police officers to sit the right way on a toilet seat.

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
                  There were recorded incidences of police driving down the street indiscriminately spraying tear gas at peaceful protesters.
                  "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Peacefully, yes. From our Bill of Rights - Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

But there are those among us who say stupid things like, "well, it's totally understandable...." and they lecture us on the history of racism. All the riots do is cheat the legitimate protesters out of their legal expression, and give racist morons an excuse to get all upset and even more racist.
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                      But there are those among us who say stupid things like, "well, it's totally understandable...." and they lecture us on the history of racism. All the riots do is cheat the legitimate protesters out of their legal expression, and give racist morons an excuse to get all upset and even more racist.
                      I don't. There's racism involved I'm sure, but I don't feel competent enough to comment on something like that. If were to do that I'd try to work with minority groups who were victims of it, to figure out what to say.

But the right to protest is important to me, I've seen more than once this right come under threat.

Comment

• Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
                        Charges of murder and manslaughter and bond of $500,000 have been made.

https://trib.al/MoL1fei

I'm confused on the two charges of murder and manslaughter. Why both? They have different criteria.
                        It is confusing, but, in effect, the murder charge was for the act that he committed - the murder - and the manslaughter charge is for "his 'culpable negligence' - for what he did not do, in "letting up" after using "such force as is necessary to effect the arrest".

Still trying to figure out the logic.
                        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
                          You will not be able to convince me that the majority of them were violently protesting. I'm sure the police were reporting it as that, but right now I wouldn't trust those police officers to sit the right way on a toilet seat.
                          Watch the videos, Leon -- there are people actually walking down the street smashing storefronts, dragging all the liquor out of the liquor store, handing it out to anybody walking by, smashing into Target and literally carrying out anything that wasn't bolted to the floor --- you don't have to trust the police on this -- just watch the films, not just there, but in other cities across the country.

There are actually 'professional rioters" who travel to places like this for the express purpose of doing violence.

Comment

• Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                            There were recorded incidences of police driving down the street indiscriminately spraying tear gas at peaceful protesters.
                            Oh I see. I hadn't heard.

Comment

• Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
                              Oh I see. I hadn't heard.
                              I think there were a number of incidents that make law enforcement cringe --- like "WOW, it's bad enough for you, now you have to go and do THAT?" I just chalk it up to Yankees*!

*CP is kidding, kinda, I really don't understand at all the state of mind of the police up there.

Comment

• Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
                                According to the Governor, and I don't know how they analyzed this, approximately 80% of the protesters were outside rabble rousers. It will be interesting to find out who these people were, and what if anything their agenda was.

Comment