Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Riots over cop killing a man begging for his life

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
    I'm not following. They weren't peaceful.
    Here in Atlanta the local reporters were aghast this morning. As the home of MLK Jr. demonstrations almost never get more than boisterous and certainly not rowdy. But as I watched the local ABC and Fox channels this morning, reporters were covering what many were making clear was something that they've never seen before. One of the WSB (the ABC affiliate) reporters declared that she had been covering events here in Atlanta for 28 years and had never seen such destruction here before now.

And to be clear, while several stores were looted and trashed and some fires set (one reporter complained about smelling smoke everywhere) from what I saw what happened here still pales in comparison to what I've seen from some other cities especially the epicenter, Minneapolis.

Yesterday morning, on the radio, someone was reading off the names of all the businesses destroyed or severely damaged there that had been compiled in the early evening from the night before. At that point there were 250.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

There are actually 'professional rioters" who travel to places like this for the express purpose of doing violence.
      One is forced to ponder the mystery of why these professional rioters don't seem to show up at conservative protests. It's like they think that one group will provide much better cover than the other one will. Or maybe that the mayors of these cities where they show up are much more tolerant of and lenient toward liberal groups so being associated with them can come in handy if you get arrested (likely the charges will be dropped unless you were arrested for attacking them or any other first responders)

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Federal Protective Service officer killed, another injured in Oakland shooting amid George Floyd protests

A Federal Protective Service Officer was killed and another injured Friday in a shooting at a federal building in Oakland, California amid protests and violence in the city over the death of George Floyd.

According to the FBI's San Francisco branch, the shooting occurred at the Ronald V Dellums Federal Building when a vehicle approached the building and opened fire at the security officers.

“The FBI has deployed investigators and the Evidence Response Team to the crime scene,” the agency said in a statement. “We will continue to work this investigation alongside the Oakland Police Department.”

https://www.foxnews.com/us/federal-p...kland-shooting
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Watch the videos, Leon -- there are people actually walking down the street smashing storefronts, dragging all the liquor out of the liquor store, handing it out to anybody walking by, smashing into Target and literally carrying out anything that wasn't bolted to the floor --- you don't have to trust the police on this -- just watch the films, not just there, but in other cities across the country.

There are actually 'professional rioters" who travel to places like this for the express purpose of doing violence.
          CP do have a source for that? I know there were independent press people at the Ferguson riots saying that the locals were claiming a lot of the rioters weren't from the area, and even cases of antifa doing it to spark violence, but I've never heard of "professional rioters" jumping from city to city in order to riot before.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
            One is forced to ponder the mystery of why these professional rioters don't seem to show up at conservative protests. It's like they think that one group will provide much better cover than the other one will. Or maybe that the mayors of these cities where they show up are much more tolerant of and lenient toward liberal groups so being associated with them can come in handy if you get arrested (likely the charges will be dropped unless you were arrested for attacking them or any other first responders)
            Agreed, the protesters, who btw are not all left wingers, are, generally speaking, peaceful demonstrators, and they provide cover for the anti-government anarchists who come in from outside. And those groups vary from what some would call left, or right wing radicals, as well as foreign entities who want to destabilize the country. For Atty Gen Barr to get up there and assert that these outside groups are left wing radicals is just another fabrication which this Administration is known for in their attempt to further divide the country. They're doing a good job at accomplishing that goal.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
              Agreed, the protesters, who btw are not all left wingers, are, generally speaking, peaceful demonstrators, and they provide cover for the anti-government anarchists who come in from outside. And those groups vary from what some would call left, or right wing radicals, as well as foreign entities who want to destabilize the country. For Atty Gen Barr to get up there and assert that these outside groups are left wing radicals is just another fabrication which this Administration is known for in their attempt to further divide the country. They're doing a good job at accomplishing that goal.
              Personally I don't think anyone can make the argument that these are somehow orchestrated. It's not like it's happening in a single location, but nationwide, which is further proof to me that economics is overlapping this situation.

Comment

• Originally posted by seanD View Post
                CP do have a source for that? I know there were independent press people at the Ferguson riots saying that the locals were claiming a lot of the rioters weren't from the area, and even cases of antifa doing it to spark violence, but I've never heard of "professional rioters" jumping from city to city in order to riot before.
                Well, the black Minneapolis Police Chief is making that claim, but I guess it could be argued "he's one of them". The public officials -- Leaders say riot damage not caused by Minnesotans are making that claim, but I guess that could be "CYA".

(FOX 9) - Minneapolis Mayor Jacob Frey and St. Paul Mayor Melvin Carter said Saturday that a vast majority of the rioters causing destruction are from out of state. Mayor Carter said all of the people arrested in St. Paul overnight were from out of state.

"This is no longer about protesting, this is about violence," Mayor Frey said. "I want to be clear, the people who are doing this are not Minneapolis residents.”

Perhaps I erred in using the word "professional" --- I even stopped to try to think of another way to say that these people aren't just peacefully protesting -- they are there to purposely "act out".
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Personally I don't think anyone can make the argument that these are somehow orchestrated. It's not like it's happening in a single location, but nationwide, which is further proof to me that economics is overlapping this situation.
                  The allegation is that there are national chapters of groups like Occupy or -- what's the other weird named one? -- who are always ready to send people wherever.
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Well, the black Minneapolis Police Chief is making that claim, but I guess it could be argued "he's one of them". The public officials -- Leaders say riot damage not caused by Minnesotans are making that claim, but I guess that could be "CYA".

(FOX 9) - Minneapolis Mayor Jacob Frey and St. Paul Mayor Melvin Carter said Saturday that a vast majority of the rioters causing destruction are from out of state. Mayor Carter said all of the people arrested in St. Paul overnight were from out of state.

"This is no longer about protesting, this is about violence," Mayor Frey said. "I want to be clear, the people who are doing this are not Minneapolis residents.”

Perhaps I erred in using the word "professional" --- I even stopped to try to think of another way to say that these people aren't just peacefully protesting -- they are there to purposely "act out".
                    Oh, there are definitely a lot of folks pointing fingers. You have Trump blaming antifa (which is kind of absurd assuming blacks and Hispanics are all members of antifa when in fact they're pretty much white suburban kids), and you have the governor of Minnesota saying white supremacists and cartels are behind it lol. Lots of blame being thrown around, which is understandable since folks don't want the blame to be pointed at them (though I'm not sure where the governor came up with that).

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                    The allegation is that there are national chapters of groups like Occupy or -- what's the other weird named one? -- who are always ready to send people wherever.
                    Occupy? I haven't heard from them since the Obama days. I definitely believe there are a variety of opportunists. There are criminal opportunists. There are political opportunists. There are folks who just get off on the chaos. But I think it's pretty absurd to think there's a single entity orchestrating all this nationwide. That would require a bit of ECREE.

Comment

...But I think it's pretty absurd to think there's a single entity orchestrating all this nationwide. That would require a bit of ECREE.
                      Never said or implied it was a single entity.

Comment

The Boogaloo Boys?

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                          The Boogaloo Boys?
                          I'm not familiar with your friends.

Comment

The examiner's preliminary report says he was "likely" killed by a combination of factors including the officer's actions.
                            Sorry to cut up your post but you're wrong in a number of ways.

But for the officer's actions Floyd would not have died, regardless of any pre-existing conditions or intoxication. That the hold the officer was applying could result in injury or death should be obvious to any adult human being. By applying such a hold for such a length of time the officer assumed the risk and consequences of an unintended outcome.

The Fox News reporter in the clip the twitterati linked to said he was "maybe" killed that way.
                            No, the FLC bobblehead said that *maybe* he died while the officer had his knee in Floyd's neck. But we know that Floyd's heart stopped at least 2 minutes before the hold was released. So it is false to claim there is a chance that Floyd didn't die until later on.

I don't know about you but "likely" and "maybe" are close enough considering it's still early in the investigation. So don't get mad at the Fox News reporter for accurately reporting the facts because you got emotionally manipulated by social media.
                            The issue I am objecting to is the claim that Floyd did not die while the officer was applying the hold. The evidence we have in front of us says he did.

Comment

It is confusing, but, in effect, the murder charge was for the act that he committed - the murder - and the manslaughter charge is for "his 'culpable negligence' - for what he did not do, in "letting up" after using "such force as is necessary to effect the arrest".

Still trying to figure out the logic.
                              Manslaughter is included as a lessor charge to murder. If jury finds that burden of proof isn’t met for murder then they will have to decide if burden of proof is met manslaughter.

Comment

• Originally posted by Watermelon View Post
                                Manslaughter is included as a lessor charge to murder. If jury finds that burden of proof isn’t met for murder then they will have to decide if burden of proof is met manslaughter.
                                Yeah, but usually that isn't charged up front - it's something that's offered to "plead down" to. Then again, them are Yankees, and I really don't know much about how they play the game*.

*and PLEASE spare me (not you watermelon) the moronic feigned horror that "this is NOT A GAME, CP!!!!"

Comment