Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Riots over cop killing a man begging for his life

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    Demanding due process is a legitimate gripe but the rest is B.S.
    I feel bad for the union. They have to defend them somehow. I fear for their families' safety.
    Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Demanding due process is a legitimate gripe but the rest is B.S.
      I agree, though I suspect there will be less arguing whether due process was done and more Rules-Lawyering until they get rehired and the charges reduced due to a minor technicality.
      Have You Touched Grass Today? If Not, Please Do.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chaotic Void View Post
        I agree, though I suspect there will be less arguing whether due process was done and more Rules-Lawyering until they get rehired and the charges reduced due to a minor technicality.
        I seriously doubt this will ever go away or get treated as a minor technicality.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
          I feel bad for the union. They have to defend them somehow. I fear for their families' safety.
          Kind of like defense attorneys. They have to defend scum as well.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by Chaotic Void View Post
            ... Unsurprisingly, their Union is trying to protect the four cops.

https://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2020/...is-leadership/

Long story short, Lt. Kroll is complaining that the officers were fired without due process, and he's trying to shift blame for all the recent happenings on someone else (namely, city leadership). He's also trying to dredge up the fact Floyd was arrested in 2007 for Armed Robbery, completely ignoring the fact that people can change over time (apparently, Floyd was actively working with Ministries operating in the Third Ward of Houston before he moved to Minneapolis).
            Yeah, EVEN IF Floyd had been arrested for armed robbery, and EVEN IF the arresting officers were aware of that, it does ZERO to justify the manner in which they handled this.
            And, I had been asking - did the Police Union have the integrity to AT LEAST admit this was very disturbing?
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
              I have worked in union shops, but never as a police officer - they could at LEAST showed some integrity by saying something like, "while we are deeply disturbed by what has happened....." OR, put the word out to the guys on the job that "guys, look, there's no way we can excuse what happened..."
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I seriously doubt this will ever go away or get treated as a minor technicality.
                Then you are a FAR more optimistic person than I am, rogue.
                Have You Touched Grass Today? If Not, Please Do.

Comment

More like the MSM doesn't care unless it furthers their agenda.
                  What exactly do you think their agenda is, rogue?

Look at all the black on black homicides in places like Chicago that they studiously turn a blind eye to for how many years now?
                  If they turned a blind eye to it you wouldn't know about it. Do you expect the media to solve the problems as well?

Comment

• It's beginning to sound like some of the officers standing by while Floyd was killed were objecting verbally to what was going on, like, "shouldn't we turn him over", and Chauvin clearly says "no".

That makes the case against the other officers SLIGHTLY less bad - they should have acted - but WORSE for Chauvin, where "intent" may be inferred from the fact that he actually rejected pleas (however weak) from fellow officers to let Floyd up.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                      It's beginning to sound like some of the officers standing by while Floyd was killed were objecting verbally to what was going on, like, "shouldn't we turn him over", and Chauvin clearly says "no".

That makes the case against the other officers SLIGHTLY less bad - they should have acted - but WORSE for Chauvin, where "intent" may be inferred from the fact that he actually rejected pleas (however weak) from fellow officers to let Floyd up.
                      Another bit of misinformation is that they in fact did get him into the police car. I initially thought, because that's what folks were saying, that when they brought him over the car he fell. No, he was already inside, and for some reason, Chauvin pulled him and threw him to the ground.

Comment

It's beginning to sound like some of the officers standing by while Floyd was killed were objecting verbally to what was going on, like, "shouldn't we turn him over", and Chauvin clearly says "no".

One officer, identified as Lane, spoke up several times, the complaint states. While holding Floyd's legs, he said "should we roll him on his side?" and Chauvin said "No, staying put where we got him," according to the complaint. Lane then said, "I am worried about excited delirium or whatever," and Chauvin said "that's why we have him on his stomach," the complaint states.

A short time later, after video shows Floyd ceasing to breathe or speak, Lane allegedly said, "want to roll him on his side," according to the complaint. Kueng checked Floyd's wrist for a pulse and said he found none, the complaint states. Again, none of the officers moved from their positions.

I'm wondering what the authority structure was among these officers - I don't see collar brass or stripes on sleeves indicating any of these officers were superior over others, so, lacking that, it often goes to 'seniority' or longevity. I'm wondering why Lane was not being more assertive.

Comment

One officer, identified as Lane, spoke up several times, the complaint states. While holding Floyd's legs, he said "should we roll him on his side?" and Chauvin said "No, staying put where we got him," according to the complaint. Lane then said, "I am worried about excited delirium or whatever," and Chauvin said "that's why we have him on his stomach," the complaint states.

A short time later, after video shows Floyd ceasing to breathe or speak, Lane allegedly said, "want to roll him on his side," according to the complaint. Kueng checked Floyd's wrist for a pulse and said he found none, the complaint states. Again, none of the officers moved from their positions.

I'm wondering what the authority structure was among these officers - I don't see collar brass or stripes on sleeves indicating any of these officers were superior over others, so, lacking that, it often goes to 'seniority' or longevity. I'm wondering why Lane was not being more assertive.
                          I suspect Chauvin's motives were intentional, based on everything I've seen so far. Look at his face; he's clearly enjoying it. He also never lets up. The medic actually has to nudge him aisde just to get the Floyd.

Comment

• Originally posted by seanD View Post
                            I suspect Chauvin's motives were intentional, based on everything I've seen so far. Look at his face; he's clearly enjoying it. He also never lets up. The medic actually has to nudge him aisde just to get the Floyd.
                            So, I would not be surprised if the charges against Chauvin were elevated.

Comment

• In his mugshot he looked kind of like a deer in headlights.

Comment

So, I would not be surprised if the charges against Chauvin were elevated.
                                They've upped it to second degree murder. The other three I think is now aiding and abetting .

Comment