Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Riots over cop killing a man begging for his life

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by seanD View Post
    The examiner's preliminary report says he was "likely" killed by a combination of factors including the officer's actions. The Fox News reporter in the clip the twitterati linked to said he was "maybe" killed that way. I don't know about you but "likely" and "maybe" are close enough considering it's still early in the investigation. So don't get mad at the Fox News reporter for accurately reporting the facts because you got emotionally manipulated by social media.
    I think they're using that language because the coroner report hasn't been released yet not because it is in question.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I'm no fan of CNN, but this makes absolutely no sense to me. Did the police WANT the public to see them as the villain more than they already are? I don't get it.

I’m speechless.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
        I’m speechless.
        What I find especially curious about this from a social perspective is that both blacks and whites are rioting together. I remember during the LA riots of the 90s, blacks were attacking anyone not black. I'm not sure what that means, but it seems to enforce my belief that this is overlapping economic pent-up rage.

Comment

The examiner's preliminary report says he was "likely" killed by a combination of factors including the officer's actions. The Fox News reporter in the clip the twitterati linked to said he was "maybe" killed that way. I don't know about you but "likely" and "maybe" are close enough considering it's still early in the investigation. So don't get mad at the Fox News reporter for accurately reporting the facts because you got emotionally manipulated by social media.
          You should not be going here. It just doesnt matter if the stress of having the officers knee on his neck and.being unable to breathe caused a heart attack or whether he died due to lack of oxygen, the officers actions and indifference to his distress killed him.

To even try to deflect guilt from this officer at this time is disgusting. The problem right now is that if you and the people at fox dont wake up and stop thinking like this, stop trying to deny the problem, stop being taken in by racist thinking, this is going to get worse.

We need to, as a country, take action to remove the disparities that exist been life as a black person and life asca white person in this country. And we need to stop tolerating in any form racist thinking. Not with laws. Laws cant change how people think. We need to stop it ourselves everywhere it happens.

And that can start here on this site with people like you and me.
          My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

What I find especially curious about this from a social perspective is that both blacks and whites are rioting together. I remember during the LA riots of the 90s, blacks were attacking anyone not black. I'm not sure what that means, but it seems to enforce my belief that this is overlapping economic pent-up rage.
            How about it means the disparity blacks face is now so obvious and so large there are a significant number of white people that are also no longer willing to be part of it and they are joining with black people to send a message to those in power who still yield to racist forces in power that they need to divorce themselves from that and make real changes in the way we deal with the situation.
            Last edited by oxmixmudd; 05-30-2020, 07:42 AM.
            My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
              There is a lot of pent up aggravation involved and being expressed. Not just any alleged grievances but the stress of being cooed up for months -- and Minnesota has some of the stricter enforced quarantine rules in place FWIU.

Saaaaaay, where is the outrage over all this blatant disregard for lack of social distancing? Are these rioters trying to kill gramma?
              I think a lot of people are just taking advantage of the crowds of protesters to commit crimes and incite violence and looting. I think a lot of them are from outside the area, who came there just to stir things up. Like the Antifa.

I was wondering the same thing about the "social distancing" - Is DivineOb as incensed by this blatant disregard of COVID precautions as he was about people going to church?

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                IT would have to be something incredibly... I can't even imagine any scenario which would have justified this.

The usual excuse is that adrenaline gets pumping and can't be turned off -- but there wasn't even that big of a fight, and EIGHT MINUTES.... while the other officers stood by offering ZERO intervention...
                If you watch the whole video of him being held down, it appears he was resisting arrest and would not let them put him in the police car. At least that is what is being said in the video. So apparently they subdued him and put him on the ground. But then they just held him there till he passed out and later died. Once they had him on the ground the four officers should have been able to get him into the car, especially after the guy begged them to let him up and said he wouldn't resist any more. At that point the action became vindictive and inhumane. The officer holding him down, even had his hand in is pocket! He was enjoying what he was doing. He wasn't doing his job at that point.
                Last edited by Sparko; 05-30-2020, 08:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                  Once they had him on the ground the four officers should have been able to get him into the car, especially after the guy begged them to let him up and said he wouldn't resist any more. At that point the action became vindictive and inhumane. The officer holding him down, even had his hand in is pocket! He was enjoying what he was doing. He wasn't doing his job at that point.
                  Don't forget the poor guy desperately using his last bit of air to tell them he couldn't breathe.

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                    You should not be going here. It just doesnt matter if the stress of having the officers knee on his neck and.being unable to breathe caused a heart attack or whether he died due to lack of oxygen, the officers actions and indifference to his distress killed him.

To even try to deflect guilt from this officer at this time is disgusting. The problem right now is that if you and the people at fox dont wake up and stop thinking like this, stop trying to deny the problem, stop being taken in by racist thinking, this is going to get worse.

We need to, as a country, take action to remove the disparities that exist been life as a black person and life asca white person in this country. And we need to stop tolerating in any form racist thinking. Not with laws. Laws cant change how people think. We need to stop it ourselves everywhere it happens.

And that can start here on this site with people like you and me.
                    She was reporting the facts as they were given to us. She was being accurate and responsible without jumping to rash or emotional conclusions, unlike the sleuths on social media. The latter always leads to dangerous outcomes, whether they're right about the facts or not (typically not).

And I would ask that you stop implying I'm a racist, Ox. I'm serious.

Comment

She was reporting the facts as they were given to us. She was being accurate and responsible without jumping to rash or emotional conclusions, unlike the sleuths on social media. The latter always leads to dangerous outcomes, whether they're right about the facts or not (typically not).

And I would ask that you stop implying I'm a racist, Ox. I'm serious.
                      She was reporting what she was told, not necessarily the facts. The facts are right in front of your face. Whether Floyd had underlying conditions is irrelevant. Handcuffiffing someone, putting them on their stomach and kneeling on their neck and back for nearly 9 minutes, nearly 3 minutes of which when he was already unconscious, is murder whether one had underlying conditions or not. If they did that to a 80 year old grandma, they wouldn't be making that argument.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
                        She was reporting what she was told, not necessarily the facts. The facts are right in front of your face. Whether Floyd had underlying conditions is irrelevant. Handcuffiffing someone, putting them on their stomach and kneeling on their neck and back for nearly 9 minutes, nearly 3 minutes of which when he was already unconscious, is murder whether one had underlying conditions or not. If they did that to a 80 year old grandma, they wouldn't be making that argument.
                        That's likely true, but that's called commentary. That's not what is called reporting the facts. You're confusing the Fox reporter with the likes of msnbc and cnn and social media.

Comment

An interesting fact, it might have excacerbated the already outragious situation. Details like this about medical events need more time though.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                            It's 3rd degree murder which is AFAICT like manslaughter
                            1st degree includes premeditation and intent
                            2nd degree includes intent

Those elements would be difficult to prove.
                            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

We have first, second and third degree murder. Third of course is the lesser charge. First degree would be premeditaded, second degree would be not premeditated, but the intent was there, and third degree basically means that it wasn't premeditated, and that you didn't necessarily intend to kill the person. Third degree still carries a stiff sentence though, I believe it's about 20-25 years.
                              I see Jim beat me to it.
                              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

We have first, second and third degree murder. Third of course is the lesser charge. First degree would be premeditaded, second degree would be not premeditated, but the intent was there, and third degree basically means that it wasn't premeditated, and that you didn't necessarily intend to kill the person. Third degree still carries a stiff sentence though, I believe it's about 20-25 years.
                                And, the fact is that the charge can always be UPGRADED - for instance, if it becomes known that both men worked as bouncers for the same club (this part is known) and maybe there was bad blood between them (ENTIRELY hypothetical)...

If there is discovered any reason to think this WAS premeditated - even in the sense that "I'll get that !$@#^@$ later!" for something that happened between them in the past - the charge can certainly be upgraded. Hence, ongoing investigation.

ALSO - I've seen some people - even commentators - speculating about the fact that the victim was not dead til he got to the hospital ---- that's based on the fact that he was not PRONOUNCED dead until a medical doctor received the body -- it is not unusual at all for there to be a dead body that, because police officers are not authorized to declare time of death, the body is "declare dead" after the fact.
                                Last edited by Cow Poke; 05-30-2020, 01:23 PM.

Comment