Page 20 of 27 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Riots over cop killing a man begging for his life

Faith
    Catholic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post
    The local Walmart and Kroger have been closing at 5:00 for fear of rioting and if you knew anything about the area in which I live this is jaw-droppingly shocking.
    Should it be visible on bodycam recordings of earlier arrests? Though I wonder now if the Minneapolis police are busy deleting those.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Interesting, because I've seen (mostly retired) police from Minneapolis and St. Paul on TV unequivocally declaring that no such technique has ever been taught. There are techniques where the police place there knee down on someone's shoulders but never on the throat.
    Or, sometimes they'll put there [sic] knee on the subjects BACK, while they get they're cuffs out and cuff the guy, but once he is cuffed and has stopped fighting, there fight is over. And when multiple officers are standing around, their is no need to keep the guy pinned to the ground.
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

3. Amen Leonhard, Cerebrum123, JimL, RumTumTugger amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Catholic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Could be an instance of a technique that can be done right, but if done wrong kills the person. And I don't think even the people who taught, or used, the knee-to-the-neck technique (if that is what it is called?) would say that it was done right here.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leonhard View Post
    Could be an instance of a technique that can be done right, but if done wrong kills the person. And I don't think even the people who taught, or used, the knee-to-the-neck technique (if that is what it is called?) would say that it was done right here.
    The ONLY time it could be even REMOTELY justified would be when the officer is in grave danger, like when the subject took the officer's gun, or has a gun of his own.

Think about this, Leon ---

The officer is limited to force "such is necessary to effect the arrest". He can get in a lot of trouble going past that, particularly with his own bodycam, and everybody else having phone/cameras.
    the subject is under no such rules, and, for example, if he is an escaped felon, or just committed a murder, he has no qualms about killing that officer to get away.
    ADDITIONALLY, many times, the officer has no idea what he's facing until it's over, often in as little as a blink of an eye.

ETA: In a struggle, the officer is trying to subdue the subject, and is NOT reaching for his own gun, as he's busy trying to get his handcuffs out --- but the subject will OFTEN try to wrestle the officer's weapon away from him.
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    The ONLY time it could be even REMOTELY justified would be when the officer is in grave danger, like when the subject took the officer's gun, or has a gun of his own.

Think about this, Leon ---

The officer is limited to force "such is necessary to effect the arrest". He can get in a lot of trouble going past that, particularly with his own bodycam, and everybody else having phone/cameras.
    the subject is under no such rules, and, for example, if he is an escaped felon, or just committed a murder, he has no qualms about killing that officer to get away.
    ADDITIONALLY, many times, the officer has no idea what he's facing until it's over, often in as little as a blink of an eye.

ETA: In a struggle, the officer is trying to subdue the subject, and is NOT reaching for his own gun, as he's busy trying to get his handcuffs out --- but the subject will OFTEN try to wrestle the officer's weapon away from him.
    Of course the Floyd tragedy in Minneapolis is different. The cop had his knee on his throat for nearly 9 minutes and long after he had obviously lost consciousness.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

7. Amen DesertBerean amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Of course the Floyd tragedy in Minneapolis is different. The cop had his knee on his throat for nearly 9 minutes and long after he had obviously lost consciousness.
    Absolutely - not even a CHANCE - barring some miracle of "behind the scenes" stuff we don't yet know - not even a POSSIBILITY that this was justified in any way shape or form.

And I STILL can't figure out why the officers standing by didn't intervene.

9. Amen oxmixmudd amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Interesting, because I've seen (mostly retired) police from Minneapolis and St. Paul on TV unequivocally declaring that no such technique has ever been taught. There are techniques where the police place there knee down on someone's shoulders but never on the throat.
    "their"

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    From what I've seen of the aerial footage, this is how it typically goes down, and yes, there are probably exceptions. Protesters march down the street. Cops in riot gear then barricade them in or stop their progress, for whatever reason. Crowd gets unruly. Some start hurling things at the cops. Cops then start firing tear gas and projectiles. Crowd then scatters. And that's when the looting and rioting starts.
    "I was the CIA director. We lied, we cheated, we stole, it was like... we had entire training courses. It reminds you of the glory of the American experiment." - Mike Pompeo, Secretary of State (source).

43rd Mojave Summer DesertBerean's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    The local Walmart and Kroger have been closing at 5:00 for fear of rioting and if you knew anything about the area in which I live this is jaw-droppingly shocking.
    The authorities say they had received information that "protesters" might be coming to town. They decided to pull in the welcome mat (my words). They even put squads on the ramps. Being that we are a major stop on the Interstate 15, I'm all for that.

The night was quiet...the protests in town were quiet too although some were too profane for my liking. Today the city announced no curfew. :Yipee:

13. Amen Cow Poke amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    A long-time St. Louis police officer and respected member of the community was killed when rioters looted his friend's store. The man's name was David Dorn. He was 77-years old. In a bitter twist of irony, he also happened to be black.

So where's the outrage?

https://www.breitbart.com/crime/2020...st-louis-riot/'

These "protests" don't make any sense.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra