Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Riots over cop killing a man begging for his life

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post
    This has been a recurring point among those with law enforcement experience. That no department teaches this type of submission hold.
    Not anymore, anyway.

At Hennepin Technical College, which trains about half of Minnesota’s police officers, students were taught to use a form of the technique until at least 2016, said Mylan Masson, a longtime Minneapolis police officer and former director of the college’s law enforcement and criminal justice education center.
    https://www.startribune.com/law-enfo...ath/570787132/
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingsGambit View Post
    That's the thing. People are rioting over "nothing being done", but all four officers were fired even without an investigation, the guy's been arrested... what more do they want? Putting every police officer in front of a firing squad?
    There is a lot of pent up aggravation involved and being expressed. Not just any alleged grievances but the stress of being cooed up for months -- and Minnesota has some of the stricter enforced quarantine rules in place FWIU.

Saaaaaay, where is the outrage over all this blatant disregard for lack of social distancing? Are these rioters trying to kill gramma?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    A "form of the technique" leaves a lot of room. It can be like saying that a neck hold is a form of "sleeper" hold (which can cause instantaneous unconsciousness and quickly be lethal).

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

4. Amen DesertBerean amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post
    A "form of the technique" leaves a lot of room. It can be like saying that a neck hold is a form of "sleeper" hold (which can cause instantaneous unconsciousness and quickly be lethal).
    The article does go on to suggest that the technique as it was taught should only have been used long enough to subdue the suspect, yes.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Faith
    Catholic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    And I wonder if anything had happened if what happened hadn't been recorded. Was it body cam, or a bystander?

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    That's the thing. People are rioting over "nothing being done", but all four officers were fired even without an investigation, the guy's been arrested... what more do they want? Putting every police officer in front of a firing squad?
    You can't always look at social issues like this as being black and white. There's obviously overlap with the economic situation and folks struggling right now. Bad economic situations always fuel civil unrest, even if the immediate cause of the unrest is not directly related to the economy.
    "I was the CIA director. We lied, we cheated, we stole, it was like... we had entire training courses. It reminds you of the glory of the American experiment." - Mike Pompeo, Secretary of State (source).

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leonhard View Post
    So apparently a man by the name of George Floyd was killed by a cop, who had his knee to the man's neck. The man (George Floyd) repeated that he couldn't breathe, but the pressure was not released. And the cop who killed him apparently has a huge rap sheet for killing minorities. I'm looking it up as I go at the moment, still trying to find all the details.

Mass riots in response in Minneapolis, ongoing as we speak.

This has been circulating regarding the cop in question, who has been recently arrested.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EZH067kW...jpg&name=small

• The restraint technique used by Chauvin to kill Floyd was not part of the department's training.
    • Being represented by Tom KLelly, the same attorney who got officer Jeronimo Yanez (who killed Philandro Castile) acquitted.
    • Derek Chauvin was put on leave in 2011 for an inappropriate police shooting of Alaskan Native American, Leroy Martinez
    • Chauvin shot Ira Latrell Toles, an unarmed black 21 year old man in 2008
    • Chauvin was one of the officers who killed Wayne Reyes, a latino man with 16 bullets shot into him (42 rounds spent total)
    • Chauvin and another officer were chasing a car in 2006 causing the death of three people according to Communities United Against Police Brutality.
    • There are 12 Police brutality complaints against Chauvin in the Minneapolis Office of Police Conduct complaint database. They are all listed as "closed", "non-public" and "no-discipline"

Right now I am not sure about of these facts in circulation, I'm waiting to see what comes along. Have any of you heard anything?
    There is a video showing a cop guiding George Floyd to a cop's car. The next thing we see is Floyd on the ground with a cop's knee on his throat.

Question: How did George Floyd get on the ground?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    So apparently a man by the name of George Floyd was killed by a cop, who had his knee to the man's neck. The man (George Floyd) repeated that he couldn't breathe, but the pressure was not released. And the cop who killed him apparently has a huge rap sheet for killing minorities. I'm looking it up as I go at the moment, still trying to find all the details.

Mass riots in response in Minneapolis, ongoing as we speak.

This has been circulating regarding the cop in question, who has been recently arrested.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EZH067kW...jpg&name=small

• The restraint technique used by Chauvin to kill Floyd was not part of the department's training.
    • Being represented by Tom KLelly, the same attorney who got officer Jeronimo Yanez (who killed Philandro Castile) acquitted.
    • Derek Chauvin was put on leave in 2011 for an inappropriate police shooting of Alaskan Native American, Leroy Martinez
    • Chauvin shot Ira Latrell Toles, an unarmed black 21 year old man in 2008
    • Chauvin was one of the officers who killed Wayne Reyes, a latino man with 16 bullets shot into him (42 rounds spent total)
    • Chauvin and another officer were chasing a car in 2006 causing the death of three people according to Communities United Against Police Brutality.
    • There are 12 Police brutality complaints against Chauvin in the Minneapolis Office of Police Conduct complaint database. They are all listed as "closed", "non-public" and "no-discipline"

Right now I am not sure about of these facts in circulation, I'm waiting to see what comes along. Have any of you heard anything?
    I have not heard a single cop or law enforcement associate try to excuse, justify, or even understand what this guy did. It is, on SO MANY LEVELS, just flat out wrong.
    Even the officers who stood by should be fired and indicted as accessories because they did nothing to intervene.

The strange thing is that this case is SO OVERWHELMINGLY ONE SIDED --- ZERO justification === that this is a stupid case over which to riot.
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

10. Amen JimL, Esther amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    He has been arrested on charges of manslaughter now.

Amen!
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I'm shocked by how many normally sober minded people I know of who are justifying violence in this case.
    It has echos of that nutty ex=Mayor of Baltimore who justified the riots by "we needed to give them space...."

I've seen a lot of reference to Malcolm X's strategies (one from a black co worker who is outright calling for people to go out and fight). It's actually now considered racist to oppose that.

What's notable is that I've seen not a single person offer any word of justification for the officer (other than apparently one random Mississippi police chief who said the officer was in the right).

Both propositions can be right. Lives are more important than property, ultimately. I just hope nobody else loses theirs in the violence.
    I think the Governor made a decent speech regarding this -- will try to find that.