Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Riots over cop killing a man begging for his life

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
    That's the thing. People are rioting over "nothing being done", but all four officers were fired even without an investigation, the guy's been arrested... what more do they want? Putting every police officer in front of a firing squad?
    You can't always look at social issues like this as being black and white. There's obviously overlap with the economic situation and folks struggling right now. Bad economic situations always fuel civil unrest, even if the immediate cause of the unrest is not directly related to the economy.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
      So apparently a man by the name of George Floyd was killed by a cop, who had his knee to the man's neck. The man (George Floyd) repeated that he couldn't breathe, but the pressure was not released. And the cop who killed him apparently has a huge rap sheet for killing minorities. I'm looking it up as I go at the moment, still trying to find all the details.

Mass riots in response in Minneapolis, ongoing as we speak.

This has been circulating regarding the cop in question, who has been recently arrested.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EZH067kW...jpg&name=small
      • The restraint technique used by Chauvin to kill Floyd was not part of the department's training.
      • Being represented by Tom KLelly, the same attorney who got officer Jeronimo Yanez (who killed Philandro Castile) acquitted.
      • Derek Chauvin was put on leave in 2011 for an inappropriate police shooting of Alaskan Native American, Leroy Martinez
      • Chauvin shot Ira Latrell Toles, an unarmed black 21 year old man in 2008
      • Chauvin was one of the officers who killed Wayne Reyes, a latino man with 16 bullets shot into him (42 rounds spent total)
      • Chauvin and another officer were chasing a car in 2006 causing the death of three people according to Communities United Against Police Brutality.
      • There are 12 Police brutality complaints against Chauvin in the Minneapolis Office of Police Conduct complaint database. They are all listed as "closed", "non-public" and "no-discipline"

Right now I am not sure about of these facts in circulation, I'm waiting to see what comes along. Have any of you heard anything?
      There is a video showing a cop guiding George Floyd to a cop's car. The next thing we see is Floyd on the ground with a cop's knee on his throat.

Question: How did George Floyd get on the ground?

Comment

So apparently a man by the name of George Floyd was killed by a cop, who had his knee to the man's neck. The man (George Floyd) repeated that he couldn't breathe, but the pressure was not released. And the cop who killed him apparently has a huge rap sheet for killing minorities. I'm looking it up as I go at the moment, still trying to find all the details.

Mass riots in response in Minneapolis, ongoing as we speak.

This has been circulating regarding the cop in question, who has been recently arrested.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EZH067kW...jpg&name=small
        • The restraint technique used by Chauvin to kill Floyd was not part of the department's training.
        • Being represented by Tom KLelly, the same attorney who got officer Jeronimo Yanez (who killed Philandro Castile) acquitted.
        • Derek Chauvin was put on leave in 2011 for an inappropriate police shooting of Alaskan Native American, Leroy Martinez
        • Chauvin shot Ira Latrell Toles, an unarmed black 21 year old man in 2008
        • Chauvin was one of the officers who killed Wayne Reyes, a latino man with 16 bullets shot into him (42 rounds spent total)
        • Chauvin and another officer were chasing a car in 2006 causing the death of three people according to Communities United Against Police Brutality.
        • There are 12 Police brutality complaints against Chauvin in the Minneapolis Office of Police Conduct complaint database. They are all listed as "closed", "non-public" and "no-discipline"

Right now I am not sure about of these facts in circulation, I'm waiting to see what comes along. Have any of you heard anything?
        I have not heard a single cop or law enforcement associate try to excuse, justify, or even understand what this guy did. It is, on SO MANY LEVELS, just flat out wrong.
        Even the officers who stood by should be fired and indicted as accessories because they did nothing to intervene.

The strange thing is that this case is SO OVERWHELMINGLY ONE SIDED --- ZERO justification === that this is a stupid case over which to riot.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

He has been arrested on charges of manslaughter now.

Amen!
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
            I'm shocked by how many normally sober minded people I know of who are justifying violence in this case.
            It has echos of that nutty ex=Mayor of Baltimore who justified the riots by "we needed to give them space...."

I've seen a lot of reference to Malcolm X's strategies (one from a black co worker who is outright calling for people to go out and fight). It's actually now considered racist to oppose that.

What's notable is that I've seen not a single person offer any word of justification for the officer (other than apparently one random Mississippi police chief who said the officer was in the right).

Both propositions can be right. Lives are more important than property, ultimately. I just hope nobody else loses theirs in the violence.
            I think the Governor made a decent speech regarding this -- will try to find that.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaotic Void View Post
              ... Of course, whether their Union will try to get them their jobs back is yet to be seen.
              That's what I'm looking for -- the Police Union could store up valuable treasure for themselves by declaring "Even WE can't defend this...." Have we heard from them?

And God help the public defender (or Union appointed lawyer) who gets assigned to defend this ...... [swear words].

Comment

Klob is apparently in hot water, and now her VP chance in serious jeopardy, because the main officer involved apparently has a history of bad reports against him and (I believe though I could be wrong) Klob was a prosecutor during that time and refused to charge the same officer who was apparently involved in an earlier shooting that was also controversial.

Comment

And I wonder if anything had happened if what happened hadn't been recorded. Was it body cam, or a bystander?
                  IT would have to be something incredibly... I can't even imagine any scenario which would have justified this.

The usual excuse is that adrenaline gets pumping and can't be turned off -- but there wasn't even that big of a fight, and EIGHT MINUTES.... while the other officers stood by offering ZERO intervention...

Comment

Originally posted by Christian3 View Post
                    There is a video showing a cop guiding George Floyd to a cop's car. The next thing we see is Floyd on the ground with a cop's knee on his throat.

Question: How did George Floyd get on the ground?
                    The ONLY think I can imagine is that Floyd may have balked at getting in the car, but so far, there's zero evidence of that.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                      That's what I'm looking for -- the Police Union could store up valuable treasure for themselves by declaring "Even WE can't defend this...." Have we heard from them?

And God help the public defender (or Union appointed lawyer) who gets assigned to defend this ...... [swear words].
                      Their head honcho, Lt. Kroll, said, "Now is not the time rush to judgement and immediately condemn our officers. An in-depth investigation is underway. Our officers are fully cooperating. We must review all video. We must wait for the medical examiner’s report." And that was two days ago. Heck, I can't even access their (Police Officers Federation of Minneapolis) social media (Crackbook/Twitter) or website right now to see if they've released any further statements now that charges have been made.

That doesn't leave me optimistic.
                      Have You Touched Grass Today? If Not, Please Do.

Comment

Apparently, Mr. Chauvin is being charged with 3rd Degree Murder over this. But yeah, I don't think there's anyone who's openly defended what these cops did. As for me? Well, it's murder, and the other three officers should also be charged alongside him.
                        One of the others had his knee on Floyd's back, and could have easily contributed to his death.

Comment

Their head honcho, Lt. Kroll, said, "Now is not the time rush to judgement and immediately condemn our officers. An in-depth investigation is underway. Our officers are fully cooperating. We must review all video. We must wait for the medical examiner’s report." And that was two days ago. Heck, I can't even access their (Police Officers Federation of Minneapolis) social media (Crackbook/Twitter) or website right now to see if they've released any further statements now that charges have been made.

That doesn't leave me optimistic.
                          I think it's, at best, a delay tactic, because I still cannot think of ANYTHING - even in my wildest imagination - that could have happened in those brief moments "off camera", til we see the EIGHT MINUTES of forceful restrain, with other officers just casually standing by.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                            I think it's, at best, a delay tactic, because I still cannot think of ANYTHING - even in my wildest imagination - that could have happened in those brief moments "off camera", til we see the EIGHT MINUTES of forceful restrain, with other officers just casually standing by.
                            Yeah... and, as things move along and more information comes to light, their silence and delay tactics are just going to make them look even worse than they already do.
                            Have You Touched Grass Today? If Not, Please Do.

Comment

Originally posted by DivineOb View Post
                              There was an instance where an alleged cop was found to be breaking windows on a business as an agent provocateur. I'll reserve a little judgement until this is 100% nailed down but he does have a pretty nice looking gas mask which I doubt many rioters have access to.
                              Masks like Antifa wear?

752209991.jpg

athens4f6.jpg
                              Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Yeah... and, as things move along and more information comes to light, their silence and delay tactics are just going to make them look even worse than they already do.
                                If just ONE OFFICER had stepped forward and said, "hey, lemme take over" or "hey, you can loosen up your grip", or ANYTHING to intervene.... that's something they are trained to do -- the arresting officer may be fired up with adrenaline (not for that long, to be sure) and somebody else needs to step up and bring order. "When the cuffs go on, the fight is over".

Has anybody mentioned positional asphyxia? They are also trained NEVER leave a suspect face down, because your own weight can cause you breathing problems --- you'll almost ALWAYS see, after the cuffs go on, the officers either helping the guy stand up, or rolling him on his side.

There is SO MUCH about this that makes absolutely no sense.

Comment